Farm Objects

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

Pyoro
Tycoon
Tycoon

Farm Objects

Post by Pyoro »

A simple NewObjects grfs containing tiles for farms:
objects.png
objects.png (33.03 KiB) Viewed 17130 times
Most tiles are sloped, some aren't. Trees and groundtiles should be climate/newGRF compatible. Fences/hedges are supposed to build "from the outside", so no corner pieces included for now. I really don't like how that basically leaves an empty tile, but what can you do ...
Some objects aren't exactly "inside" their tile/use multiple tiles- that's more or less on purpose. Creates more natural scenes and makes some overlapping possible - animals shouldn't be too orderly. Can possibly cause glitches, though, I guess.

Graphics that aren't only referenced by their sprite number are taken from the FIRS Industry Replacement Set - credits to the original artists ("andythenorth and others" ^^;) (btw, those chickens(?) are genius). Therefor obviously this GRF is also licensed under GPLv2.

NewGRF + license:
FarmObjects.zip
GRF and License
(14.8 KiB) Downloaded 605 times
Source:
FarmObjectsSource.zip
(17.6 KiB) Downloaded 289 times
In all honesty though, I'm not too familiar with this licensing stuff, so if something is missing or incorrect speak up. Firstborn will be sacrificed once I actually have one.
supermop
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: Farm Objects

Post by supermop »

Was just thinking i'd love this to keep towns growing too deep into farm fields along access roads! Great work!

For fences - maybe you could take code from the auto-fencing tile object in ogfx+ objects? if it saw any other of your farm objects as similar then it shouldn't fence between it and them, only on the periphery.

Best
Pyoro
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Pyoro »

supermop wrote:Was just thinking i'd love this to keep towns growing too deep into farm fields along access roads! Great work!
That always bothers me as well. Unfortunately it's not that well-suited for blocking town-growth into farms; I mean, obviously there's many semi-solutions to go about it, but the "real" farm fields will auto-fence themselves against the NewObjects ones and of course the NewObjections ones don't change over time like the actual ones do, so it's still a bit tricky to get it to look perfect.

But thanks ;)
For fences - maybe you could take code from the auto-fencing tile object in ogfx+ objects? if it saw any other of your farm objects as similar then it shouldn't fence between it and them, only on the periphery.
Interesting; sounds like something to look at. On the other hand; I prefer my fields without fences, I usually only fence animals where it's not really sensible to place some on every tile. Guess a seemingly empty tile would work to work around this. Mh ^^

Anyways, example applications:
farming01.png
farming01.png (120.64 KiB) Viewed 17107 times
farming02.png
farming02.png (113.63 KiB) Viewed 17107 times
YNM
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by YNM »

Would it work well with OpenGFX's style ?
YNM = yoursNotMine - Don't get it ?
「ヨーッスノットマイン」もと申します。
FooBar
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by FooBar »

Pyoro wrote:(btw, those chickens(?) are genius)
Thanks! That would have been me :) I especially like the baby chicks, they're only 5 pixels!
If you like I also have some geese which I believe never made it into FIRS. See the attached file if you want to use them. In the file you can also see a crude version of the sheep. Don't use them. Current FIRS sheep are better.
From the file it appears that the hay bales are also mine, but I'm not quite sure about the bigger one.

Nice NewGRF by the way. I've always found the farms in FIRS to be a bit small. Bigger ones as an industry are impractical because you can't resize them. With this however that's entirely possible!
Attachments
farmstuff.pcx
License GPL v2
(9.22 KiB) Downloaded 367 times
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

Well, this was the bulk of my "Better Farms and Gardens" NewGRF I was planning to make... one day... when I first thought of it four years ago...

Great job! Now I don't have to worry about never making it, I can just play it. SCHAWEET!
Supercheese
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Supercheese »

Is there still no drag & drop placement for newobjects? I'll use these, but it would be so much better if I didn't have to click for every single tile I want to place...
Eyecandy Road Vehicles | Fake Subways | Supercheese's NewObjects

"Fashions and cultures change, but steam trains shall always be majestic."
-Professor Hershel Layton
Pyoro
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Pyoro »

I don't think anything has changed regarding NewObject usability. It's still also not possible to pin the NewObject build menu and when you want to use the dynamite tool you'll still have to re-open it...
...although all of these tiles here are build-over enabled, at least ^^;

²kamnet
Thanks. Took me all morning to do this - and I've also thought about creating it since first posting emptyGRF, which was like ... what, 2 or 3 years ago? Jesus, time flies ...

²FooBar
That's why pixel art is so great ;)

Those crude sheep look a bit like donkeys/horses/alpacas, tbh. Maybe I'll try something with them. And I don't see why geese should be excluded, so I'll treat them to some tiles at the next opportunity as well ;)

€:²YNM
Sorry, totally overlooked your post. I'd assume so.
Pyoro
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Pyoro »

So, geese are done and a few vehicles from IRS that fit the theme ...
farmobjects.png
farmobjects.png (18.22 KiB) Viewed 16776 times
... but I'm thinking it'd be better if they had more groundsprite variations (like a tractor on a field sprite for example). I'm not sure how to do this though - I guess random_switch would be one option? Then rebuild the thing until you get what you need? Alternatively, could it perhaps somehow use the same groundsprite as, maybe, the SW-neighboring tile? No idea how I'd do that though ...

In any case, maybe someone has some suggestion concerning this. Otherwise the menu gets really bloated ;)
michael blunck
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by michael blunck »

Pyoro wrote: Otherwise the menu gets really bloated
objects are supporting "views".

regards
Michael
Pyoro
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Pyoro »

True, but only 4 per item, right? There's (disregarding other potential groundsprite types) 8 different farm groundsprites, so for like 4 objects that's already 8 menu items. With the only difference of having a slightly different groundsprite. That seems to be a bit impractical to me. Maybe. Of course randomly having to rebuild stuff can also be annoying and anything that's choosing automatic will inevitably fail in some use-cases...
FooBar
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by FooBar »

Pyoro wrote:True, but only 4 per item, right?
Also true :)
Pyoro
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Pyoro »

Oh well, didn't manage to figure out any solution so I went with the old "let's just go with a random pre-selection". Mhmm. Sometimes I'm disappointed in myself :P

Anyways, here's the new ones:
farmobjectsnew.png
farmobjectsnew.png (19.83 KiB) Viewed 16684 times
Some geese, some vehicles, some pens. Basically. Some sloped, some groundtile sensitive, some not. I'm sure you'll figure it out ^^;
FarmObjects.7z
NewGRF + License
(17.32 KiB) Downloaded 297 times
FarmObjects Source.7z
(17.61 KiB) Downloaded 234 times
Happy farming ;)
Eddi
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Eddi »

funny how the geese are the size of a car :)
Pyoro
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Pyoro »

Well, if the media didn't cover it up so well we'd all already know about car-sized geese taking over the world. At least we can spread the news through OTTD - the end is nigh!
Pyoro
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Pyoro »

Since there's been a disappointing lack of "help, I used this GRF and my computer exploded!" reports I've uploaded this and EmptyGRF to BaNaNas. Maybe now it'll actually destroy something make someone furios happy.
Dave

Post by Dave »

Delighted to see this on Bananarama!
Official TT-Dave Fan Club

Dave's Screenshot Thread! - Albion: A fictional Britain
Flickr

Why be a song when you can be a symphony? r is a...
Pyoro
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Pyoro »

In preparation of forests(tm) I went back to (slightly) improve change the other two pointless GRFs:

- now uses a different object category (FARM)
- some more plantations (different FIRS climates and for people playing with the base industry set. Why do I get the feeling FIRS only uses a different ground tile 'cause that already had sloped graphics available? :p )
- a bit of snow awareness here or there (basically snowy trees where applicable. Farm tiles themselves are obviously heated and don't freeze over)
- a bit of sorting around the amazing code ^^

OpenGFX screenshot for a change ;)
objects.png
objects.png (24.22 KiB) Viewed 15458 times
I'll update the file on bananas once I'm done with everything else. Might still think of some things to adjust before then, who knows. ^^
Attachments
farmobjects.7z
(13.15 KiB) Downloaded 256 times
farmobjects_source.7z
(24.49 KiB) Downloaded 215 times
Marshy
Director
Director

Post by Marshy »

:bow:
Awesome stuff Pyoro, looking forward to making use of these.

Return to “Graphics Development”