Kamnet's Town Names

Find and discuss all the latest NewGRF releases for TTDPatch and OpenTTD here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

kamnet

Kamnet's Town Names

Post by kamnet »

I've finally gotten the bug to develop a town name set (and maybe some more), and dive into the world of NML. This will be a release thread for all of the Town Name NewGRFs that I create. Please enjoy and add feedback!
Last edited by kamnet on 01 Nov 2015 06:08, edited 5 times in total.
kamnet

Kentucky Town Names v1

Post by kamnet »

A list of most known named places in Kentucky, including 425 current cities, 24 unincorporated communities, 7 cities merged out of existence, and 35 cities that were dissolved or disincorporated. This information is current as of February 4, 2014, as provided by the Kentucky Secretary of State.

This set is released into Public Domain.

This download is available via the OpenTTD in-game content download service, BaNaNaS:
http://binaries.openttd.org/bananas/new ... s-1.tar.gz
Attachments
KYNames-source.tar
Full source code and documentation.
(29.5 KiB) Downloaded 599 times
thaddeusthudpucker
Engineer
Engineer

Re: Kamnet's Town Names

Post by thaddeusthudpucker »

I had a bug bite me to make a grf for town names of my native Pacific Northwest. I personally define that as being Washington, Idaho, and Oregon. To that end, I have compiled a list of town names, 1111 to be precise. I would like to turn this list over to you to apply your grf magic to, because I haven't the faintest idea where to start. I know where about 95% of these places are, and I've been to about 75% of them. What do you think?
Attachments
NWTowns.txt
(12.25 KiB) Downloaded 621 times
kamnet

Pacific Northwest USA Town Names

Post by kamnet »

thaddeusthudpucker wrote:I had a bug bite me to make a grf for town names of my native Pacific Northwest. I personally define that as being Washington, Idaho, and Oregon. To that end, I have compiled a list of town names, 1111 to be precise. I would like to turn this list over to you to apply your grf magic to, because I haven't the faintest idea where to start. I know where about 95% of these places are, and I've been to about 75% of them. What do you think?
I think I can do that!

This download is available via the OpenTTD in-game content download service, BaNaNaS:
http://binaries.openttd.org/bananas/new ... s-1.tar.gz
Attachments
PacNWUSANames-source.tar
Full source code and documentation.
(50.5 KiB) Downloaded 574 times
thaddeusthudpucker
Engineer
Engineer

Post by thaddeusthudpucker »

very cool, but Iowa isn't in the PacNW... (open it up from the in-game download service and you'll see.

I have been to Iowa, and it certainly is no Idaho!

Thank you for compiling it, I wasn't expecting it to be overnight lol!
V8-Biker
Engineer
Engineer

Post by V8-Biker »

I compiled the 100 most populous places of each of the 50 U.S. states to the attached lists. Most of the informations I found on Wikipedia. If the informations there weren´t enough, I searched for other sites with demographic statistics.
Nevertheless I could find only 57 places in Delaware, and 39 in Rhode Island. After adding Washington, DC the first list contains 4897 town names including their state abbreviations.
The second list doesn´t contain the state abbreviations of the places. Several town names appear multiple times in the list, because there are towns with the same names in different states. Deleting these multiple names (leaving 1 of them in the list) made the list shrink to 3919 town names.

Both of them are more than enough, even for the 2048x2048 game area.

Would you make the lists available for download in bananas, please? The shorter list would be ok for me, but both would be nicer... ;)

Thank you in advance... :)
Attachments
USA Town Names with States.txt
4897 USA Town Names
(75.73 KiB) Downloaded 550 times
USA Town Names without States.txt
3919 USA Town Names
(43.26 KiB) Downloaded 554 times
kamnet

Crass UK Town Names

Post by kamnet »

Inspired by the request of a user on Reddit (see: http://www.reddit.com/r/openttd/comment ... ld_make_a/).

A list of crass, rude, silly or otherwise inappropriate names of real towns in the United Kingdom. Derived from the famous Strumpshaw, Tincleton & Giggleswick's "Marvellous Map of Great Britsh Place Names" (http://www.stghq.com/).

This set is released into the Public Domain.

http://binaries.openttd.org/bananas/new ... s-2.tar.gz
Attachments
CrassUKNames-source.tar
(52 KiB) Downloaded 522 times
Eddy Arfik
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Eddy Arfik »

kamnet wrote:A list of crass, rude, silly or otherwise inappropriate names of real towns in the United Kingdom.
Nicely done, definitely using this in my next game :)
Kaiser-NA
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Kaiser-NA »

V8-Biker wrote:I compiled the 100 most populous places of each of the 50 U.S. states to the attached lists. Most of the informations I found on Wikipedia. If the informations there weren´t enough, I searched for other sites with demographic statistics.
Nevertheless I could find only 57 places in Delaware, and 39 in Rhode Island. After adding Washington, DC the first list contains 4897 town names including their state abbreviations.
The second list doesn´t contain the state abbreviations of the places. Several town names appear multiple times in the list, because there are towns with the same names in different states. Deleting these multiple names (leaving 1 of them in the list) made the list shrink to 3919 town names.

Both of them are more than enough, even for the 2048x2048 game area.

Would you make the lists available for download in bananas, please? The shorter list would be ok for me, but both would be nicer... ;)

Thank you in advance... :)

Just an idea...maybe these can serve as a basis for regional U.S. packs? Then you wouldn't run into issues with Rhode Island (my home state :)) and Delaware as they could be in the New England and Mid-Atlantic region groups, respectively. Regardless, thanks for these great names! So glad that there are still North American mods being made!
kamnet

Random Andean Town Names

Post by kamnet »

Per a Reddit /r/OpenTTD request from Baboquivary, this is the release for Random Andean Town Names.

A list of randomizable Andean town names. It is mostly based off of city names in Peru, Bolivia, Chile, and Ecuador, and is designed to create mostly four-syllable names. Released into Public Domain. GRF and source code are available for download below.
Attachments
RandomAndeanNames.tar
(54 KiB) Downloaded 61 times

Return to “Graphics Releases”