Supercheese's Eyecandy GRFs

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

Supercheese
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Supercheese »

Contents:

Eyecandy Road Vehicles

Here one can find the first of many GRFs I hope to code in the coming months. The Hot Air Balloon grf has already been posted in another thread and uploaded to BaNaNaS, and since that was a collaborative project, that will (likely) remain separate from the grfs here.

To begin, here is the Eyecandy Road Vehicles grf, currently featuring an Ambulance, Fire Engine, Police Car, Tow Truck, USPS-Style Mail Truck, Garbage Trucks, and a Horse & Rider.
purchase list.png
purchase list.png (5.42 KiB) Viewed 48838 times
Being eyecandy, they have no purchase or running costs. This means they are fully compatible with TownCars AI and/or StreetTraffic (also available from BaNaNaS). The emergency vehicles have flashing lights and the good old emergency siren that we are used to here in the United States (from what I recall of my stays in the UK, their sirens sound rather different). If you would rather the sirens not blare all the time, fear not, there is a refit option to disable the constant sirens, though they will still play once when the vehicle starts.

[It is still recommended to limit the number of vehicles with sirens enabled on-screen to ~4 or less, or else the sounds tend to compound and get very loud.]
Refit.png
Refit.png (3.57 KiB) Viewed 56905 times
As for AI-built vehicles, there is a parameter to enable the constant sirens (they are disabled by default).

The vehicles' speeds, introduction dates, powers, and other statistics are based on basic research only, so if anyone wants to suggest better numbers, please feel free to do so at any time :) .

Please report any bugs, annoyances, or other criticisms for consideration.
Attachments
Version 1.0.zip
(113.64 KiB) Downloaded 3929 times
Last edited by Supercheese on 27 May 2013 07:00, edited 12 times in total.
Eyecandy Road Vehicles | Fake Subways | Supercheese's NewObjects

"Fashions and cultures change, but steam trains shall always be majestic."
-Professor Hershel Layton
Supercheese
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: Supercheese's Eyecandy GRFs

Post by Supercheese »

No Airport Restrictions

This grf disables both noise restrictions and date restrictions for building airports & heliports. Now you can build any airport, any time, anywhere!
Note that if you have the "Allow town controlled noise level for airports" advanced option OFF, then you are still limited to two airports per city. So if you want restrictions removed, turn that setting ON!

Please report any bugs/errors/incompatabilities here, should you find any.

[Note that when used with OGFX+ Airports, it produces duplicate entries in the airport build list, and the OGFX+ Airports still have DATE restrictions (it has a parameter to disable noise restrictions), but the default airports do have ALL restrictions lifted.]

This GRF is now obsolete, use OGFX+ Airports to achieve the same functionality (nightly builds available here: http://bundles.openttdcoop.org/airportsplus/nightlies)
Last edited by Supercheese on 21 Mar 2012 06:11, edited 13 times in total.

Supercheese
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Supercheese »

More NewGRF List Categorical Seperators

Inspired by DJ Nekkid's categorical seperators, I coded some additional ones I felt were missing from scratch in NML. I felt that the "vehicles" category was too general, so I made "Road Vehicles", "Trains", "Ships", and "Aircraft", and also "NewObjects" and "Misc".
Here's an example of both DJ's and these new ones being used in tandem.

They are released under the GPLv2; the attached archive contains the .grfs and the sources, as well as instructions on how to compile your own separators, if you want to add additional custom categories.
Attachments
Separators.rar
(10.37 KiB) Downloaded 2769 times
Last edited by Supercheese on 17 Feb 2012 18:33, edited 3 times in total.

kamnet

Post by kamnet »

The graphics are VERY nice. Easily identifiable.

The sirens? Holy COW are they noisy if you have more than one vehicle in an area. I think it's just enough if you turn off the constant sirens, so that you're only hearing them whenever they leave a depot.

Great job!
Supercheese
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Supercheese »

kamnet wrote:The sirens? Holy COW are they noisy if you have more than one vehicle in an area. I think it's just enough if you turn off the constant sirens, so that you're only hearing them whenever they leave a depot.
Well, I would expect that in real life having several emergency vehicles with sirens blaring all in the same area would be really loud too -- the difference is that real sirens are offset and aren't triggered by game code to all play at the same time. :wink:
So yes, for now, in multi-vehicle situations, only have 1 with siren enabled, or turn them all off. (Updated first post with this recommendation. New code for the next version will ameliorate this issue.)

ColdIce
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by ColdIce »

:bow: It`s like Christmas again! :D thank you
The rest is confetti!
Supercheese
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Supercheese »

Small update to Emergency Vehicles:

- Made having multiple siren-enabled vehicles less silly by introducing random offsets to the sirens.

PinkMoon
Engineer
Engineer

Post by PinkMoon »

Fabulous :bow:
coalroads artist
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by coalroads artist »

Awesome set, great to have something like this finally :shock:
Original AUSSET graphics artist.
-Mr squiggle was my mentor!
Tracking table-Ausset
Supercheese
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Supercheese »

I have created a GRF for my personal use that is rather cheat-ish and doesn't qualify as "eyecandy" as the thread title suggests, so I thought I'd ask:

Would anyone be interested in a grf that changes all airports to noise level 0, so you can build as many airports as you want, and also makes all airports buildable at any date?

As I said, it's rather cheat-ish and might be incompatible with OpenGFX+ Airports, but I really hated the larger airports only becoming available late in the 20th century (I had to use the date cheat, build the newer airports, and then change the date back. Very annoying!), and who doesn't hate the local authority blocking your construction attempts? :wink:
Anyway, if there's any interest, I'll post the grf.

Digitals
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Digitals »

Hello,

Good work on emergency vehicles, on your new GRF's would be great, because it is sometimes annoying to wait for new airport, and we can not necessarily build a lot

Sorry for the inconsistencies of my messages,but im French
PaulC
Director
Director

Post by PaulC »

Supercheese wrote:Would anyone be interested in a grf that changes all airports to noise level 0, so you can build as many airports as you want, and also makes all airports buildable at any date?
Sure, why not? :) Might be useful to have, cheat-ish or not.
FooBar
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by FooBar »

Basically you should ask yourself the question if you would use it. That alone is a reason to make such a grf, regardless of what others think of it.

Yes it may be cheatishy, but in single player there's nobody stopping you from cheating anyways. Cheating is part of the game, and it's up to the player to decide whether to cheat or not.
Supercheese
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Supercheese »

All right then, see the second post for the "Custom Airports" grf (/cheat). :P

spaceman-spiff
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator

Post by spaceman-spiff »

Hi, thanks for the grf.

I dowloaded it, copied it the openttd map, I can see it in the new grf settings, custom airports.
Now my problem is getting it in my game.
Checking online content doesn't work.
When I save my ingame grfs as my_preset_grf I can add the customs grf to it in the new grf settings.
But I still don't see this my_preset_grf when I load my game again, what am I doing wrong ???

Regards,
Spiff aka Willem
Well, back to work, lot's of it in the near future
Supercheese
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Supercheese »

Well, it sounds lke you're trying to put the grf into a game you've already started, and that's going to involve some extra work, because changing grfs in a running game can lead (purportedly) to crashes/glitches and other nasty stuff. If that's what you're trying to do, go here for more information.

After you've read that and understand the implications, if you still need help then this post explains things quite simply: http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php? ... 48#p913148

spaceman-spiff
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator

Post by spaceman-spiff »

Thanks for the help.

Ok, I have managed to load your grf in my savegame.
I don't have crashes (yet), everything seems ok.
My noise switch is on in the advanced settings.
When I hover a new station around a town it displays number 0 and yet the town doesn't allow me to build a station.
What else to do ? Start a new game I presume ?

Regards.
Yexo
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Yexo »

You could upload your savegame to others can see what exactly is wrong.
Zuu
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by Zuu »

I think you at least should try with a new game without changing the NewGRFs in the game, so that you can see if your issues are related to modifications in your running game or if the problem can be reproduced in a fresh game too.
My OpenTTD contributions (AIs, Game Scripts, patches, OpenTTD Auto Updater, and some sprites)
Junctioneer (a traffic intersection simulator)
spaceman-spiff
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator

Post by spaceman-spiff »

Zuu wrote:I think you at least should try with a new game without changing the NewGRFs in the game, so that you can see if your issues are related to modifications in your running game or if the problem can be reproduced in a fresh game too.
Hi, I tried a brand new game and I could place up to 5-6 airports per town (until my rating got appaling).
So for new games it works fine !

Regards.

Return to “Graphics Development”