FIRS Industry Replacement Set - Development

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

kamnet

Error in documentation

Post by kamnet »

I found a conflict between FIRS and North American Cities Set (although I don't have this loaded, I do have Canadian Cities 1.1 loaded, which is OzTrans' branch IIRC). In-game documentation pointed me to the readme on openttdcoop, which has this:
A full list of conflicting newgrfs can be found here: http://dev.openttdcoop.org/projects/fir ... hecks.pnml
This URL generates generates an Error 404 File not Found.
The entry or revision was not found in the repository.
squallzinn
Engineer
Engineer

Re: FIRS Industry Replacement Set - Development & Translatio

Post by squallzinn »

I've translated the language file to portuguese (brazil). How do I send it to you? I have to host it somewhere or post the content of the file here?
Eddi
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Eddi »

just make an attachment here or in a ticket at http://dev.openttdcoop.org/projects/firs
squallzinn
Engineer
Engineer

Post by squallzinn »

FIRS portuguese language file attached.
Attachments
portuguese.lng
FIRS portuguese language file
(25.92 KiB) Downloaded 58 times
andythenorth
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by andythenorth »

squallzinn wrote:FIRS portuguese language file attached.
Thanks. That's added to FIRS now and will be in the 0.8.3 release (available soon).

One FIRS string has changed recently: 'Sugarcane Plantation' is now just 'Sugar Plantation', as it may produce sugarcane or sugar beet. If you want to change the string, post it here. ;)
YNM
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by YNM »

I thought that kinda rather bad, or can you actually grow the sugar ?
Also, sugarcane can't live in place where sugarbeet can, and so the opposite. I think differing them by climate is ok !
(actually, it'ld be a problem in my translation because it will be too silly)
YNM = yoursNotMine - Don't get it ?
「ヨーッスノットマイン」もと申します。
planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by planetmaker »

Yoursnotmine wrote:I thought that kinda rather bad, or can you actually grow the sugar ?
Also, sugarcane can't live in place where sugarbeet can, and so the opposite. I think differing them by climate is ok !
(actually, it'ld be a problem in my translation because it will be too silly)
I do agree here. Unaware I named it sugarcane in my translation. There's no common word in German - as sugar plantation does not exist; you can only plant either crop, but not the sugar. imho one doesn't grow sugar beet in a plantation but on a normal field like grain or mais.
andythenorth
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by andythenorth »

planetmaker wrote:I do agree here. Unaware I named it sugarcane in my translation. There's no common word in German - as sugar plantation does not exist; you can only plant either crop, but not the sugar. imho one doesn't grow sugar beet in a plantation but on a normal field like grain or mais.
Call it Sugar Farm or some other substitute ;)

It's only supposed to be used in 'Tropic' economies, but there's no way to limit FIRS economy selection to specific OpenTTD climates. This means that Sugar Plantation can be present in a game using Temperate or Arctic climate, where it will produce Sugar Beet (the two sugar cargos are aware of climate). Sugar Beet at a Sugarcane Plantation is a bit wrong. Sugar Beet at a Sugar Farm is fine. :)

This could all be fixed with more conditional code but (1) dunno if that's wise, more than >1 conditional element tends to produce nasty interactions or simple mistakes imo (2) even if I thought it was a good idea I don't want to write that code right now.

So the name change was a quick solution ;)
Hyronymus
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Hyronymus »

I submitted a bug to the repository: sugar plantations don't show how much they produce per month, instead they show something like "normal".

EDIT:
About the sugar plantations and their appearance in temperate climate: sugar canes and sugar beets were and are common agricultural products of European nations.
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

planetmaker wrote:There's no common word in German - as sugar plantation does not exist
I don't know anything about proper German grammar, but "Zuckerplantage" seems to turn up quite a few hits for "sugar plantation", while "Zuckerrohrplantage" is more directly translated as "sugar cane plantation".
YNM
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by YNM »

In case it'll be changed forever as Sugar Plantation, no matter where the climate is i'll assume the plants are sugarcane. (Tebu)
「ヨーッスノットマイン」もと申します。
wallyweb
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by wallyweb »

Sugar Crop Questions

This is all a bit of a red herring.

For all that it's worth, the facility could be called a "tooth decay farm". My personal preference is "Maple Sugar Source".

From a player's point of view the facility shows no name on the map until the player attaches a station and then the player can apply any name the player deems appropriate or desirable.

For game play, all that is needed is the name of the cargo. I do believe that "sugar beets" and "sugar cane" cover this adequately. They both go to a "Sugar Refinery" where they are refined into various forms of sugar.
Ogre
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Ogre »

As for the german translation, how about "http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zuckerpflanzen" and "Zuckeranbau" for the respective facility? These are rather unspecific descriptions, but all cargos of FIRS are kept general. There is no need to distinguish between cattle, sheep and pigs for lifestock, between "light" and "heavy" for crude oil, etc. :)
The pessimist sees the darkness in the tunnel.
The optimist sees the light at the end of the tunnel.
The realist sees the light coming closer...
The engineer sees three fools in front of his train on the track in the tunnel.
YNM
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by YNM »

In response : Actually, maybe its better to remove the sugarcane/sugarbeet cargo.
Why ?

Sugarcane here is always associated to a specific refinery, because sugarcane can't be transported for a long time. (longer storing/transporting = lower concentration, the only way to make sure its not decreasing is by burning it, but that will lower the concentration by a lot). I'm not sure about sugarbeet, but it seems theres also a simmiliar thing (fermentation ?)

Maybe we can just remove the cargo and its producer ? Instead, the factory that produce the sugar will grow farms aside. And rename it into "Sugar Factory".
「ヨーッスノットマイン」もと申します。
NekoMaster
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by NekoMaster »

I think suger should instead be a high pay/decay cargo, so using a short truck line or a banch line would be useful to transport the suger to a refinary, but only if you can get it there fast enough
Image Proud Canadian Image
Nekomasters Projects! (Downloads available on BaNaNaS!) \(>^w^<)/
# NARS ADD-ON SET 2CC | 2cc Rapid Transit For Me! (2ccRTFM) | 2cc Wagons In NML (2ccWIN)
# NML Category System (Organize your GRFS!) <- TT-Forums Exclusive Download!
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

NekoMaster wrote:I think suger should instead be a high pay/decay cargo, so using a short truck line or a banch line would be useful to transport the suger to a refinary, but only if you can get it there fast enough
Considering that most vehicles can't travel that fast, cost a lot, and placement of refineries tends to be somewhat far away from the fields, this would most assuredly be a money-losing proposition.
wallyweb
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by wallyweb »

There seems to be some question about the degradation of sugar cane and sugar beets. I live in Saint John, New Brunswick where we used to have a sugar refinery. The raw material was sugar cane imported by ship from the Caribbean, a voyage of a couple thousand kilometres and several days. As far as I know degradation was not an issue. The refinery was an old one and was eventually closed by the owners in favour of a larger newer one in Montréal, which added at least another 1000 kilometres to the voyage. Degradation is definitely not an issue.

Return to “Graphics Development”