Sound replacement project - OpenSFX

OpenTTD is a fully open-sourced reimplementation of TTD, written in C++, boasting improved gameplay and many new features.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

Rubidium
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Sound replacement project - OpenSFX

Post by Rubidium »

Introduction
As you might know there was a sound replacement project that had replaced about half of the sounds, but then sadly enough died. Now OpenGFX seems to be nearing its completion, missing a free sound replacement set becomes a bigger issue.

As a result I've restarted the sound replacement project again. OpenTTD's (recent) nightlies (and the upcoming 0.8 releases) support loading custom sample packs in the same way as OpenGFX. This removes a major obstacle of the previous attempt(s): no real support of OpenTTD.

OpenSFX development
Finally I have created, with the help of the #openttdcoop guys, a repository/tracker for the sound replacement pack. I've called the replacement pack OpenSFX and can be found at http://dev.openttdcoop.org/projects/opensfx. I already added all samples from http://wiki.openttd.org/Sound_Effects_Replacement that had a proper license and sounded decent. I also created a ticket/issue for each of the missing samples and hope that you can help finding/creating a suitable sample for the pack.

I suggest that we use the Creative Commons Sampling+ 1.0 License as all existing samples are released under that license, which makes it the easiest for all. Please mention the author and the samples you took and (re)mixed, so we can properly credit them too.

I am aware that a number of the existing samples aren't that good, so at the moment I'm looking for people who have some skill with editing/mixing/creating the audio samples that are willing to help to improve and finish the set.

OpenSFX downloads
At the moment the latest 'release' is 0.2.0, which replaces almost all of the samples. You can download the release from either the in-game content download system or http://bundles.openttdcoop.org/opensfx/releases/
Nightlies can be found at: http://bundles.openttdcoop.org/opensfx/nightlies/
NekoMaster
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: Sound replacement project - OpenSFX

Post by NekoMaster »

Hmm, nice, just another step further to making openttd no longer require the TTDx Grfs

BTW, the content down loader doesn't show this yet even though you said its down loadable from it
Image Proud Canadian Image
Nekomasters Projects! (Downloads available on BaNaNaS!) \(>^w^<)/
# NARS ADD-ON SET 2CC | 2cc Rapid Transit For Me! (2ccRTFM) | 2cc Wagons In NML (2ccWIN)
# NML Category System (Organize your GRFS!) <- TT-Forums Exclusive Download!
Rubidium
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by Rubidium »

NekoMaster wrote:BTW, the content down loader doesn't show this yet even though you said its down loadable from it
I guess you're using a tool old nightly or not a nightly at all.
NekoMaster
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by NekoMaster »

Rubidium wrote:
NekoMaster wrote:BTW, the content down loader doesn't show this yet even though you said its down loadable from it
I guess you're using a tool old nightly or not a nightly at all.
Yeah, just relised that, I was using v0.7.2

Anyways, this is ok, though it would be cool if a default running sound could be added for sets that dont have running sounds (though, not sure about planes, trucks\buses\trams, and ships)
# NARS ADD-ON SET 2CC | 2cc Rapid Transit For Me! (2ccRTFM) | 2cc Wagons In NML (2ccWIN)
petert
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by petert »

Will users be required to use this SFX set, rather than the original one?
Roujin
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Roujin »

Yes. They'll also force you to drink pepsi instead of coke and wear a pink tutu instead of whatever you prefer to wear.
* @Belugas wonders what is worst... a mom or a wife...
<Lakie> Well, they do the same thing but the code is different.

ImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
NekoMaster
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by NekoMaster »

petert wrote:Will users be required to use this SFX set, rather than the original one?
No, the latest nightlies have the option just under the graphics set option, here you can choose a SFX set you have (original, no sounds, openSFX)
Rubidium
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by Rubidium »

NekoMaster wrote:Anyways, this is ok, though it would be cool if a default running sound could be added for sets that dont have running sounds (though, not sure about planes, trucks\buses\trams, and ships)
That's not in the scope of this set. It doesn't add anything that isn't in the TTD sample.cat, except some freedom.
petert
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by petert »

This is a little bit late, but Congratulations on finishing
Rubidium wrote:All non-toyland non-vehicle sounds are done.
in the 0.1.0-alpha2 release of OpenSFX.

Quote from OpenSFX on #openttdcoop Development Zone
Wolfsherz
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Wolfsherz »

First of all, thank you for doing this. Being independent from the original TTD is a big step I think.

But there is one thing that just bugs me everytime I play. The sawmill sound is just ugly... way to loud and repeats itself too often (especially when playing fast forward).
Is there a way, except disabling all sounds, to get rid of the sawmill sound, or to make it occur less?
Thanks for any advice in this matter!
Gremnon
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Gremnon »

How about the empty sample.cat which has no sound, freely available from your local Content Download Service.
Eddi
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Eddi »

Gremnon wrote:How about the empty sample.cat which has no sound, freely available from your local Content Download Service.
err... is that just me or does that almost fall into the same category as buying "air guitars" and "wlan cables" from ebay? :p
planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by planetmaker »

Eddi wrote:
Gremnon wrote:How about the empty sample.cat which has no sound, freely available from your local Content Download Service.
err... is that just me or does that almost fall into the same category as buying "air guitars" and "wlan cables" from ebay? :p
No, that's quite accurate here, that impression. The funny thing is: obviously you can sell them ;-)
Gremnon
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Gremnon »

Sorry. I was suffering from a lack of caffine.
But if you load up your Content Download Service, look where OpenSFX and OpenGFX are, and in between is NoSound. It really does exist, honest.
planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by planetmaker »

Gremnon wrote:Sorry. I was suffering from a lack of caffine.
But if you load up your Content Download Service, look where OpenSFX and OpenGFX are, and in between is NoSound. It really does exist, honest.
I know :-)

And it even makes sense somewhat. Still, it's a lot of wrapping for basically nothing. Nearly(?) the same could be achieved by just creating 0 byte sized file with the name 'sample.cat'.
Wolfsherz
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Wolfsherz »

Uh, you may have missed this:
Wolfsherz wrote:... except disabling all sounds ...
I suppose though, there is no other solution to my problem. Sounds are nice, except sawmill sound. I will just have to live with it, it seems.
Rubidium
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by Rubidium »

Wolfsherz wrote:The sawmill sound is just ugly... way to loud and repeats itself too often (especially when playing fast forward).
You can also help trying to find a better sound for the sawmill or 'remix' the current sample so it becomes less annoying. That's the benefit of it being open; you can help and fix whatever you think is wrong.
Wolfsherz
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Wolfsherz »

Rubidium wrote:You can also help trying to find a better sound for the sawmill or 'remix' the current sample so it becomes less annoying. That's the benefit of it being open; you can help and fix whatever you think is wrong.
If I had any knowledge on how to do this (resample) I would gladly do. I also looked around (using google mainly) for another sound, but found nothing usable.
Last edited by Wolfsherz on 11 Nov 2009 19:19, edited 1 time in total.
NekoMaster
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by NekoMaster »

Wolfsherz wrote:
Rubidium wrote:You can also help trying to find a better sound for the sawmill or 'remix' the current sample so it becomes less annoying. That's the benefit of it being open; you can help and fix whatever you think is wrong.
If I had any knowledge on how to do this (resample) I would gladly do. I also looked around (using google mainly) for another sound, but found nothing uasble.
Well, for one, two things you might find useful
1. the catcodec, you run this in the command line with C:\(Path)\CATCODEC.EXE -d sample.cat
This will extract all the sound samples from what ever sample.cat you hhave in the same folder with catcodec
2. dbPowerAmp
You can use this tool to encode to wave close enough that the catcodec will accept it. THough the game will still complain when you compile the sample.cat with slightly differnt .wav sounds
Zephyris
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Zephyris »

How thoroughly have you scoured the freesound project? ie. is it worth me doing a trawl for potential toyland sfx there?

Return to “General OpenTTD”