-- Original FIRS post --
Not content with having busy lives, FooBar and I have agreed that nothing could be finer than creating a Full Industry Replacement Set (FIRS). For those who prefer recursive acronyms, FIRS is also the FIRS Industry Replacement Set.
The first thing to say is that it's not done yet.
I guess we'll be saying that a lot, so I wanted to get it in early. I reckon it's about 12 months work.
We'll post more about the plans for the set over the next few weeks, but here's an outline:
- 29 cargos (2 spare, 1 reserved for NARS regearing). Some of the cargos are present in other sets, some are new.
- Industries change over time. Some types of industries will close and disappear from the map at certain points in history, others will become available.
- Complete industry chains, with lots of raw materials to move, and also a nice range of 'final' cargos including the ability to deliver both goods and food to towns in all climates.
- We'll be looking at cargo classes to ensure support from the major vehicle sets (at least the ones that have good cargo class support).
- Over 50 industries planned, (this will restrict the set to OpenTTD only).
- Includes some things that have been asked for recently including a 'waste' cargo chain. Power stations will also be more useful.
- The set will be GPL; some feedback will get the standard answer 'you could change that yourself'
We are in the unusual situation of having two people (UPDATE - three people, Zephyris joined us) who can both code nfo and draw pixel art. Luxurious as this may be, we think we'd get a more polished set with perhaps one more core contributor. Specifically we have gaps for:
- devising and coding industry layout variations
- graphics for construction stages for the industry. We could probably also use some help with industry graphics, but we'll need to keep a consistent style in our work to make the set polished.
PM me, or reply in the thread if that sounds like you.
We'll also need some play testers, but not for a good few months. More immediately we'll also be asking the grownups possibly silly questions about nfo (those grownups can guess who they are I reckon).Update 15th Feb 2009
: tracking table available at http://tt-foundry.com/sets/FIRS/schema/industriesUpdate 4th April 2009:
see all completed sprites http://tt-foundry.com/sets/FIRS/schema/graphicsUpdate 13th April 2009:
extensive tweaks to schema of cargos and industries http://tt-foundry.com/sets/FIRS/schema/industriesUpdate 30th May 2009:
19 industries drawn. Left to draw: 16 important industries, 12 less important industries, 15 orginal TTD industries that need replacing!Update 7th June 2009:
FIRS now has a public source repo at #openttdcoop: http://dev.openttdcoop.org/projects/firs/ Update 2nd Feb 2010:
FIRS 0.6 version released, 44 industries, 30 cargos. The set has been playable for some time, and is increasingly complete