Supplemental Unsurfaced Road Vehicles Set (SUV) (OpenTTD 1.10 required)

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

Kruemelchen
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Supplemental Unsurfaced Road Vehicles Set (SUV) (OpenTTD 1.10 required)

Post by Kruemelchen »

A late happy Easter everyone!
I'd like to present a Road Vehicle GRF I've been working on since a couple of weeks: A set of off-road trucks, that fill in the gap between normal road vehicles and heavy hauling vehicles.

Outline
SUV (Supplement Unsurfaced Road Vehicle Set) supplies your OTTD game with a set of multipurpose off-road trucks (and SUVs ...), which can run on various Road Types. This makes the vehicles of this set the all-rounders you need on your strife to create a vast web of (bumpy) country roads.

Requirements
This set needs OpenTTD version 1.10 or above to work.
Other than that, it is recommended to use this set together with GRFs that provide unsurfaced Road Types.
Supported road type sets are: Content
The trucks (and SUVs...) provided by this set include only vehicles made by namely manufactures of the more or less eastern parts of Germany, formerly German Democratic Republic, as well as former Czechoslovakia and former Soviet Union.
The vehicles (will) span, effectively, a time frame from the 1930s to the 2000s. However, as horse carts are (will be) included as well, this set can be used since the pre-industrial time (in future).
For most parts, the vehicles are realistic in power, capacity, 'life-span' etc.; however, some things can be configured via parameters to adapt to other, unrealistic, game styles, as well.

The featured types of vehicles are ...
Multifunctional Cars (a set of 'mufu's)
These tiny cars were designed to be used on industrial complexes, conveying small bits of cargoes around the site. However, since they are full-featured 4X4 cars, they can be used on unsurfaced tracks as well.
Supports all kinds of Road Types!
Can be easily refitted to every cargo available! (excluding long cargo like wood which would need some semi-trailer-fication, which was IRL available but not in this set, anyway, but hey, you've got your heavier hauling rigs...)
Cheap to buy, cheap to run, thus light in transportability!

SUVs ('normal' cars)
These cars are 'normal' Street runners, maybe even slightly adapted to unsurfaced roads. Though the later ones have full 4X4 ability and can run through the mud, as well. Typically separate passenger and express freight cars are being included. Purposed to run through small towns and villages spreading passengers, mail and goods. Later models (that's SUVs) can run on any unsurfaced road, as well, some models (that's without all wheel traction) only on surfaced roads.
Supports up to all kinds of Road Types!
Providing seats for about 3 passengers! (and a driver...)
Cheap and fast!

Tractors
Features small to heavy tractors that can be used from industrial sites to agriculture and forestry.
Can run on any surface, except Motorways! (for traffic reasons...)
Heaves up to three trailers filled with any of your precious cargoes!
Not cheap, yet slow!

Small Trucks (and buses...)
A vast set of small trucks that can even bring your passengers to the outermost areas of any map. Most come in separated truck and bus form type, the latter, however, limited in industrial usability.
Can run on any Road Type!
Heaves and hauls up to all kind of cargoes!
Not expensive, but efficient!

Big Trucks (or, rather big trucks...)
A variety of trucks designed to transport any sorts of industrial cargo. It even hauls oversized cargo on low-boy trailers, which non of the above types will be able to.
May run on any Road Type! (though yet has to been seen on motorways...)
Heaves and hauls all kinds of cargoes except PAX!
Supports a moderate amount of capacity!

Heavy howling vehicles (eh, hauling that is)
A set of dexter dogs, I mean, a set of tractor trucks, that may haul unreasonable heavy amounts of cargo, but only on heavy hauling tracks, the only one suited for them howling racks.
Only allowed to run on HAUL-able roads!
Expensive, but hauls heavy amounts of cargo!
Does not rime!

Special Features
Diverse Cargo Graphics for up to FIRS 3
Full 2X-Zoom Graphics
Vehicle Performance adapts to Road Surface
Vehicle Upgrades (if bought new)
Custom Sound Effects
Mail Compartment in some buses

Timeline of all vehicles
timeline_pax.png
timeline_pax.png (26.27 KiB) Viewed 5452 times
timeline_minitruck.png
timeline_minitruck.png (33.43 KiB) Viewed 5452 times
timeline_truck.png
timeline_truck.png (31.74 KiB) Viewed 5452 times
Credits
Thanks are directed to andythenorth, supermop and McZapkie, whose GRFs (including their NML source...) inspired me a lot! Plus, a thanks to Richard Wheeler, whose Pixel Tool I excessively used creating the vehicle sprites, and George for some cargo graphics.
:bow:
This set is licensed under GPLv2, unless parts of it are specified other.

Latest Release: Version 0.5.2
Jump to Release Posting
(Here you find a version for vanilla OpenTTD)

Changelog
V.0.1................all Multicars and 'SUVs', as well as early tractors included. A preview of tracked tractors included.
V.0.2................new cars, Unimogs, as well as all light trucks, vans and buses. Japanese translation included.
V.0.3................many new trucks, tractors and buses. Better smoke effects. Custom vehicle sounds.
V.0.4................new buses and a new light truck. Enhanced compatibility with supported Roadsets.
V.0.5................new light and heavy trucks. Mail compartment feature added.

Known Issues
1x zoom graphics might look not as good as their 2x zoom counterparts.
The alignment of vehicles and trailers might look wrong.
Buses with combined passenger/mail load cannot be automatically upgraded
Vehicles like the Unimog will generate an error message due to 0t load for certain cargoes (wood, pipes etc.) - the trailer can still load these cargoes, so please make sure to buy a trailer in the refit menu

What's next?
Big trucks! Heavy cargo! Tractor trucks? More buses!

Feedback wanted!
If you have any comment or feedback on this set, as well as wise remarks, or, finally, bug reports, please share your thoughts within this thread! :bow:

Yours, Krümelchen
*disclaimer: the author of this post is not responsible for external content ...
Last edited by Kruemelchen on 30 May 2023 16:10, edited 12 times in total.
Kruemelchen
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Version 0.1 Released

Post by Kruemelchen »

In this post is the initial release (version 0.1) attached:
SUV_0_1.grf
GRF File (Version 0.1)
(344.68 KiB) Downloaded 537 times
SUV_0_1_source.7z
Source File (Version 0.1)
(492.15 KiB) Downloaded 274 times
Secondly, I'd like to ask for your help. As with this set I am mainly focussing on off-road vehicles from the Eastern parts of Germany, there is the problem most vehicle manufactures stopped producing after the fall of the iron curtain / Berlin wall. Now, after 1990 I'll make some Mercedes models available like the Vario (small size truck). And I'd like to include Zetor tractors and the big Tatra trucks. However, I'm still in research for other tractors and trucks.
I'd especially like to take in some models from Czech / Slovakia / Poland (though I'd rather let McZapkie handle those in his awesome(!) polroad set...)

So, if there come any (makers of) tractors or (off-road capable) trucks (or even 'SUVs') from, generally, former UdSSR, which you'd like to see included in this set into your mind, I'd be glad you'd share it with me :)

PS: Does anyone know how to let attached image files be displayed in-line as image, and not as attachment ?(
kamnet

Re: Version 0.1 Released

Post by kamnet »

Kruemelchen wrote:PS: Does anyone know how to let attached image files be displayed in-line as image, and not as attachment ?(
They need to be 800x600 or smaller.
Kruemelchen
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Re: Version 0.1 Released

Post by Kruemelchen »

kamnet wrote:They need to be 800x600 or smaller.
Thanks a lot!
I have now managed to updat the first post with correctly sized pictures :)
Auge
Director
Director

Re: Supplemental Unsurfaced Road Vehicles Set (SUV) (*NRT)

Post by Auge »

Hello

Yeah, the Dieselameise! Dandle to steer! Saturating 6 hp with a maximum speed of 15 kph. That was car driving! :-)

Tschö, Auge
Kruemelchen
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Kruemelchen »

andythenorth wrote:No Kirovets? :twisted:
I admit I have hesitated to draw articulated steering vehicles like the Kirovets :lol:
But I think it would complement the set just well as another expensive import vehicle, even though it looks a bit overpowered and would suit also a heavier set well.
That being said, it clearly reminds me of one of the tractors/crawlers in HEQS though :twisted:
Auge wrote:Yeah, the Dieselameise! Dandle to steer! Saturating 6 hp with a maximum speed of 15 kph. That was car driving! :-)
Thank you for your comment, it's great I could remind you of some dear memories :)

Like in this screenshot?
poor heavily exhaust inhaling guy on a dieselameise climbing up a hill at 6 kph (full load)
poor heavily exhaust inhaling guy on a dieselameise climbing up a hill at 6 kph (full load)
dieselameise.png (27.32 KiB) Viewed 30896 times
(looks like the guy here is a heavy smoker :lol: )
Auge
Director
Director

Post by Auge »

Hello
Kruemelchen wrote:
Auge wrote:Yeah, the Dieselameise! Dandle to steer! Saturating 6 hp with a maximum speed of 15 kph. That was car driving! :-)
Thank you for your comment, it's great I could remind you of some dear memories :)

Like in this screenshot?
Yes, but without the climbing at all. I grew up in a really flat region. ;-)

What's with a setting to use the set without NRT?

Tschö, Auge
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

Auge wrote:What's with a setting to use the set without NRT?
There is no setting. Standard OpenTTD doesn't have the code to recognize NRT-coded NewGRFs.
Kruemelchen
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Kruemelchen »

I thought about making it compatible without NRT as well, but I doubt it would work even if I made all NRT-specific stuff switch-off-able since it has to be compiled by an altered NMLC.

The only thing that could be done as I think of it, is to release a separate non-NRT version. This would be trivial, though. However, I'd rather not obsolete-izise the NRT approach I'm taking.

The only thing I could think of make me doing, is to release a light version with only the street vehicles, which are small cars, multicars and small trucks / buses.
Kevo00
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Kevo00 »

Wow, a Trabi for OTTD? Awesome!

Sent from my Moto E (4) using Tapatalk
Kruemelchen
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Kruemelchen »

Spent the last couple of days drawing a Barkas:
Barkas on OpenGFX Extra Zoom
Barkas on OpenGFX Extra Zoom
barkas.png (59.43 KiB) Viewed 30668 times
It comes in 3 versions: passenger carrier, van and pickup truck, and can carry 1 ton* ( :lol: )
*while this seems not much, it performs better than other trucks of this set due to being cheap, lightweight and fast.
Auge
Director
Director

Post by Auge »

Hello
Kruemelchen wrote:
The only thing that could be done as I think of it, is to release a separate non-NRT version. This would be trivial, though. However, I'd rather not obsolete-izise the NRT approach I'm taking.

The only thing I could think of make me doing, is to release a light version with only the street vehicles, which are small cars, multicars and small trucks / buses.
Would be ok for me when the NonNRT-Set has the one "must have", the Multicar 21/Dieselameise. :-)

Tschö, Auge
acs121
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by acs121 »

Kruemelchen wrote:Spent the last couple of days drawing a Barkas:
barkas.png
It comes in 3 versions: passenger carrier, van and pickup truck, and can carry 1 ton* ( :lol: )
*while this seems not much, it performs better than other trucks of this set due to being cheap, lightweight and fast.
Off-road buses ? Good news, i'm bleeding moneys sometimes and have to build dirt, or mud roads. These Mufus won't be much of a use, but it's rather excellent for feeders.
Kruemelchen
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Kruemelchen »

acs121 wrote:Off-road buses ? Good news, i'm bleeding moneys sometimes and have to build dirt, or mud roads. These Mufus won't be much of a use, but it's rather excellent for feeders.
Yes, feeders are the very use-case the Multicars were designed for :)

Meanwhile, here is another off-road van / mini-bus (up to 2t of load or 7 passengers):
UAZ 452 & Moskvich 410
UAZ 452 & Moskvich 410
uaz_moskvich.png (32.01 KiB) Viewed 30487 times
The light blue car is an early Moskvich SUV :mrgreen: available from the 50s (but only for a short time frame...)
Kruemelchen
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Kruemelchen »

A small update:
Reshuffled the list of vehicles I'd like to feature, mostly added off-road buses with capacities for 20~30 passengers.
Here is an example of two buses that are available from the 20s/30s:
Tatra 26 & GAZ 03 bus
Tatra 26 & GAZ 03 bus
early buses.png (32.99 KiB) Viewed 30353 times
(The 'thing' the Tatra has on its roof is actually an open roof, so you may peek inside if you look closely from certain angles)

When I've finished the Tatra bus (still need to draw 1x zoom graphics) some time next week I'll look into releasing a first version of a subset featuring only the GDR/Czech road vehicles of this set.

Meanwhile you may study the following pdf featuring the full vehicle list (of which 1/3 are done), plus some charts for availability range, speed, capacity and the such:
data sheet.pdf
vehicle list with availability range and other charts
(63.26 KiB) Downloaded 258 times
Edit: Almost forgot, another feature I added are enhancements for available trucks like power upgrades mostly, which are indicated by a + symbol in the purchase list so you can instantly see that a vehicle has been upgraded. Keep in mind that only new vehicles are upgraded, not already bought ones. This also means you may only upgrade already bought vehicles by auto-renew not by auto-replace, but most upgrades are minor anyway ...
acs121
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by acs121 »

I know this is only contains European vehicles, but how about a good old Nodwell ?
Kruemelchen
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Kruemelchen »

acs121 wrote:I know this is only contains European vehicles, but how about a good old Nodwell ?
Thanks, I may consider adding it as a faster running tracked vehicle from the 70s or 90s or so
acs121
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by acs121 »

Kruemelchen wrote:
acs121 wrote:I know this is only contains European vehicles, but how about a good old Nodwell ?
Thanks, I may consider adding it as a faster running tracked vehicle from the 70s or 90s or so
Actually the Nodwells are more 70s IIRC, though they would be an excellent addition due to their fast speed and ability to transport anything ;)
Kruemelchen
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Kruemelchen »

I now finished the "out-commenting" of NRT-specific code in a subset of this set, so you may now play with a subset of the trucks of this set in vanilla OpenTTD or patch packs.
Please mind this is just a subset and still contains NRT-specific strings etc.

It features:
  • all cars
  • all multicars
  • all buses and vans
  • tractors for agriculture
EGRoads_0_1.grf
subset of SUV available for vanilla OpenTTD
(390.35 KiB) Downloaded 591 times
It's compiled with the NRT nml-fork*, but I tested it with JGRs patchpack 0.22 and it runs just well.

* simply because it failed to compile with the nml version (0.4.4) of my distribution ... :oops:

Return to “Graphics Development”