OpenGFX+ Airport objects

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

zooks
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

OpenGFX+ Airport objects

Post by zooks »

This weekend, I started teaching myself nml :)

I wrote some (probably crappy) code to use the opengfx+ airports tiles as objects. In combination with disabling airport fences in the original grf, some nice looking airports could be created.

As of now, they are available on the banana :)
Watkins & Co., 2010-03-13.png
Watkins & Co., 2010-03-13.png (87.68 KiB) Viewed 14599 times
Attachments
airportobjects.tar.bz2
source (GPL)
(223.69 KiB) Downloaded 759 times
Last edited by zooks on 14 Jan 2013 20:07, edited 5 times in total.
maarz
Engineer
Engineer

Re: Airport objects

Post by maarz »

Do the extra airport tiles actually function as a real airport?? Can planes use them like regular airports?
Yoshi
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Yoshi »

No, as they are objects, not Airports...

It's just EyeCandy!
jor[D]1
Director
Director

Post by jor[D]1 »

Cool, just need more Object slots now.
View my (train)pictures on Flickr
FooBar
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by FooBar »

zooks wrote:Is there interest in this? I guess I can share using the same license as opengfx+airports (gpl?)
Yes there is.

Did you include the sprites in your grf, or did you reference base set sprites?
If you don't want to add any new sprites, then I recommend the latter method. This way your grf will work with any base set (not just OpenGFX) and the license is free to choose (although GPL is generally recommended).

Either way it's a really nice idea to create this. Well done!
planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by planetmaker »

zooks wrote:This weekend, I started teaching myself nml :)
(...)
Is there interest in this? I guess I can share using the same license as opengfx+airports (gpl?)
Very nice, you already got quite far for just having started :-) And yes, there definitely is interest in this set.

Foobar is absolutely right with the licenses. Like he says, it's feasible to simply reference the base set's sprites (then you can choose any license), but if you actually include OpenGFX' or OpenGFX+Airports' sprites, you're free to do with them what you want as long as you release your work also under the GPL. From a graphical POV, using the sprites from OGFX+Airports might be nicer as you then can offer them aware of the terrain (and you might just "steal" the corresponding code in that case).

Cheers,
pm (co-author of ogfx-airports)
zooks
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by zooks »

planetmaker wrote: Very nice, you already got quite far for just having started :-) And yes, there definitely is interest in this set.

Foobar is absolutely right with the licenses. Like he says, it's feasible to simply reference the base set's sprites (then you can choose any license), but if you actually include OpenGFX' or OpenGFX+Airports' sprites, you're free to do with them what you want as long as you release your work also under the GPL. From a graphical POV, using the sprites from OGFX+Airports might be nicer as you then can offer them aware of the terrain (and you might just "steal" the corresponding code in that case).

Cheers,
pm (co-author of ogfx-airports)
Thanks! I indeed copied the sprites from OpenGFX+ Airports (I don't guess all rotations are in the base set?). I tried to 'steal' the code but this is that the same as nml? Or does it have some scripting layer on top? So I rewrote most of the code (except for the spritesets). All objects should be snow-aware, but I think some things still need to be made desert-aware as well.

I attached the sources in the first post and the grf can be found on the banana.
planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by planetmaker »

zooks wrote: Thanks! I indeed copied the sprites from OpenGFX+ Airports (I don't guess all rotations are in the base set?). I tried to 'steal' the code but this is that the same as nml? Or does it have some scripting layer on top? So I rewrote most of the code (except for the spritesets). All objects should be snow-aware, but I think some things still need to be made desert-aware as well.
Indeed the base sets hardly have all the rotations but only one. The code I linked above indeed needs an additional pre-processing by gcc as that's template code included for many tiles. You find the pre-processed code (thus pure NML) in the log of the automated nightly compile of OpenGFX+Airport on the DevZone's bundle server.

I attached the sources in the first post and the grf can be found on the banana.
Cool, thanks

Feel also free to apply for a project at the DevZone (where also find the home of OpenGFX+Airports)
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

Awesome! This is one more of the "things I'll eventually get around to doing" that I can take off my list! Good job!

As a suggestion, I'd consider naming it OpenGFX+ Airport Objects, so people clearly know which ones these are.
zooks
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by zooks »

planetmaker wrote:(..)
You find the pre-processed code (thus pure NML) in the log of the automated nightly compile of OpenGFX+Airport on the DevZone's bundle server.
Didn't know about that, I guess that would have saved some time :)
planetmaker wrote: Feel also free to apply for a project at the DevZone (where also find the home of OpenGFX+Airports)
Does that mean others can take this forward as well? I would like that as I don't always have the time.
kamnet wrote:Awesome! This is one more of the "things I'll eventually get around to doing" that I can take off my list! Good job!
As a suggestion, I'd consider naming it OpenGFX+ Airport Objects, so people clearly know which ones these are.
Quast65
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: OpenGFX+ Airport objects

Post by Quast65 »

Nice work!
Little suggestion, maybe include some tiles that have OpenGFX planes on them (on the taxi-tiles, the loading pads and maybe also on the landingstrips). That way it looks like the fake airport is operational ;-)
Projects: http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=57266
Screenshots: http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?f=47&t=56959
Scenario of The Netherlands: viewtopic.php?f=60&t=87604

Winner of the following screenshot competitions:
sep 2012, jan 2013, apr 2013, aug 2013, mar 2014, mar 2016, oct 2020
All my work is released under GPL-license (either V2 or V3), if not clearly stated otherwise.
planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by planetmaker »

zooks wrote:
planetmaker wrote: Feel also free to apply for a project at the DevZone (where also find the home of OpenGFX+Airports)
Does that mean others can take this forward as well? I would like that as I don't always have the time.
In short: yes.

Of course that is already principially allowed by you choosing to use GPL ;-)
On the DevZone we generally only allow people to commit access to a project, if they got the project creator's / manager's / maintainer's permission (thus here yours) to do so. (though we would of course also host a fork of a project, if someone would want to do that with a project where the license allows modification but the author would like to work on his version only).

Return to “Graphics Development”