Transport Tycoon Forums

The place to talk about Transport Tycoon
It is currently Wed Jan 16, 2019 11:15 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2018 6:18 pm 
Engineer
Engineer

I know they exist irl. Tunnels through hills and stuff with water at the bottom so that boats can drive through them. Why are not a thing yet? They’d be really useful for going through mountains without having to flatten them or dig cannals and use like 15 locks.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2018 9:41 pm 

It's on a wish-list. It's not been implemented already because despite there being some interest in this, nobody has taken the initiative to work on both the code and the graphics. If you haven't already, you might want to read this conversation.

If you're familiar with C++ coding and are interested in contributing, that would be helpful.

Base Music Sets: OpenMSX | Scott Joplin Anthology | Traditional Winter Holiday Music | Modern Motion Music
Other Projects: 2CC Trams | Modern Waypoints | Sprite Sandbox & NewGRF Releases | Ideabox | Town Names | Isle of Sodor Scenario | Random Sprite Repository
Misc Topics: My Screenshots | Forgotten NewGRFs | Unfinished Graphics Sets | Stats Shack | RoadTypes?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 2:49 am 
Engineer
Engineer

Well I found graphics for water tunnels in an old thread, so that’s that taken care of, but someone would have to compile them into a NewGRF or something as I have no idea how. I’ve never seen any of OpenTTD’s code but I’ve done some simple mods using C++ before. I think the main problem would be solving that bug where ships clip into the terrain as they enter the tunnels, which to me seems like it could be solved by giving ships some extra frames where they only show half the sprite, or better, creating a system to block some parts of a sprite. Like you could place a tile that looks exactly like the tile after the tunnel but is actually not terrain and instead a higher-priority graphic that would cover up a ship as it entered the tunnel.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 6:52 am 
Tycoon
Tycoon

The most difficult aspect with a boat tunnel is the way how the boat graphics are handled - forget vanilla boats, how'd you make it work (or not work) nicely with FISH2 or Sailing Ships NewGRF ?