I've come to present Country Roads, a NewGRF designed to work with NotRoadTypes included in OpenTTD 1.10.0 and later.
Country Roads is a small set of special use case Road Types, including mud and sand. It is designed for graphical enrichment of country side with roads crossing fields or woods. It adds no extra functionality, just custom sprites.
This set is a fork of supermop's unspooled, and should be usable as an add-on for said set.
This set is also under GPLv2.
Current version: 1.0
New Road Types:
- sand (field) road: SAND → support for ROAD (regular RVs)
- mud (wood) road: OFFR → support for HAUL (heavy haul vehicles)*
- 2 new Road Types: mud (designed for wood roads) and sand (designed for field roads)
- adjustable speed limit
- *mud road is enabled for heavy haul vehicles and cannot be used by regular Road Vehicles
- but mud road can be configured by parameter to work like sand road (and thus allow regular RVs)
- fine road transitions
- custom depot graphics
- custom wooden bridge surface
- graphical support for temperate, alpine**, arctic and tropical climate
- support for desert as well as snow, including changing snow line
- snow marker poles on snowy terrain for sand road (on either side and end of track)
- snow marker poles will only be drawn outside of towns
- languages: English, German, French, Japanese
The download of version 1.0 can be found here.
I'd be happy to have this set tested and contribute to spread use cases of the NRT feature.