FIRS Industry Replacement Set - Development

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

andreasaspenberg
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Re: FIRS Industry Replacement Set - Development

Post by andreasaspenberg »

it is already set on none but, this mod overrides those settings.
petrovich1234
Engineer
Engineer

Post by petrovich1234 »

Hi guys. Probably I'm not the first one who is interested in the question of whether this mod with 32-bit graphics will appear someday. But I don't want to just ask questions that hardly anyone will give an exact answer. I have another question, I hope you can help me if it's not difficult. I want to replace 8bit sprites myself with 32bit ones. Unfortunately, I do not understand much about this all, but I understand Photoshop or other editors and I think it will not be difficult for me to make sprites. However, could you please tell me which files should I find and modify? I cannot unpack the grf file with any program. I downloaded the archive from the site in some other format and found psd files there, I think this is what I need, right? What needs to be done with this folder after I replace the sprites with my own 32bpp? Just pack it in grf or...?
I think it's time to start doing something about it, especially since no one wants to do this, cause the game (and this mod) is really cool!
petrovich1234
Engineer
Engineer

Post by petrovich1234 »

Seems tread is dead...
Aegir
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Aegir »

petrovich1234 wrote: 03 Jan 2021 19:48 Seems tread is dead...
mate, check the join date on some of the users here... this is a long play for a lot of people here. Be patient.
Currently working under the name 'reldred' on Github, and Discord.
NFO/NML coder, part-time patch writer for JGRPP, and all round belligerent.

14:40 <orudge> I can't say I discriminate against any particular user
14:41 <Aegir> orudge: I can!
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

petrovich1234 wrote: 23 Dec 2020 17:25 Hi guys. Probably I'm not the first one who is interested in the question of whether this mod with 32-bit graphics will appear someday. But I don't want to just ask questions that hardly anyone will give an exact answer. I have another question, I hope you can help me if it's not difficult. I want to replace 8bit sprites myself with 32bit ones. Unfortunately, I do not understand much about this all, but I understand Photoshop or other editors and I think it will not be difficult for me to make sprites. However, could you please tell me which files should I find and modify? I cannot unpack the grf file with any program. I downloaded the archive from the site in some other format and found psd files there, I think this is what I need, right? What needs to be done with this folder after I replace the sprites with my own 32bpp? Just pack it in grf or...?
I think it's time to start doing something about it, especially since no one wants to do this, cause the game (and this mod) is really cool!
The most important thing is to draw the sprites. This effort will be completely futile if you don't finish those, and nobody's going to be interested in using a half-finished project that is abandoned because the artist runs out of time or otherwise loses the desire to create them.

After that...
1. There are tutorials available in the forum which can teach you the basics of drawing (albeit in 8bpp, but it largely applies to 32bpp as well). Beyond the tutorials, feel free to ask questions here. We have a fairly active development community.
2. Graphics are saved as .png files, using one or more spritesheets (one file is most common, but that's up to you).
3. If you're drawing in 32bpp and using most graphical development tools, you will probably notice that graphics won't look as nice (or possibly worse) at 1x zoom level. You may need to tweak them a lot. Also, you may want to consider drawing either additional 2x zoom or both 2x and 4x zoom graphics. This will obviously be a lot more work, with a lot more graphics, but it could be quite satisfying. It will also mean a much larger file (hundreds of megabytes).
4. If you wish to compile a working NewGRF yourself, you will need to set up a development system and have some understanding of Python and NML. You'll need to learn how to install and use these tools. Andythenorth and others may be able to give you pointers on how to do this. Alternatively, you may be able to partner with somebody who already has a dev environment set up and will help you with the coding/compiling, so long as you have completed the graphics.

I wish you well in your project, should you choose to proceed!
andythenorth
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by andythenorth »

I have no interest in 32bpp / 4x zoom sprites for FIRS and I won't add it. :wink:

But there are multiple FIRS forks, at least 6 last time I counted them.

I would guess it's pretty easy for someone else to make a 32bpp / 4x zoom version?
Lebius
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Lebius »

Hi!
Can someone help me to compile FIRS3 GRF? :bow:

I wanted to update (and push to repo) some translations in Russian version of FIRS3, but I'm unable to compile even the basic version of this mod...
How I tried:
- cloned latest master of GIT repo
- installed pip, ply 3.11, nml 0.4.5, chameleon 3.8.1, markdown 3.3.3
- (found and fixed some problems with "PIL.Image" versions checking: https://github.com/OpenTTD/nml/issues/39)
- "make"

Then I see this:

Code: Select all

$ make
[RENDER DOCS] render docs
0.81s
echo "[HTML DOCS] graphviz not found, skipping cargo flow graphs"
[HTML DOCS] graphviz not found, skipping cargo flow graphs
[RENDER LANG] render_lang.py
0.01s
[RENDER NML] render nml
1.61s
nmlc -c -l generated/lang --verbosity=4 --grf=generated/firs.grf generated/firs.nml
Reading lang ... 0.2 s
Reading ... 0.0 s
Init parser ... 0.4 s
Parsing ... 0.2 s
nmlc ERROR: "generated/firs.nml", line 5307: Syntax error, unexpected token ":"
Makefile:87: recipe for target 'generated/firs.grf' failed
make: *** [generated/firs.grf] Error 1
Unfortunately, I'm unable to understand, what's wrong that time.
I have tried to checkout to some old commits (upto 2018-2019) but it doesn't solve the problem. For some of those commits error has jumped to other row, but is stays the same.
May be some version of libs (ply?) are incorrect?

Also I have tried to become a translator on https://bundles.openttdcoop.org/firs/re ... tions.html but... all buttons on those page gives me "Service Temporarily Unavailable" message.
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

Lebius wrote: 05 Jan 2021 18:57 Also I have tried to become a translator on https://bundles.openttdcoop.org/firs/re ... tions.html but... all buttons on those page gives me "Service Temporarily Unavailable" message.
OpenTTD Coop's translation service is no longer available. There isn't a replacement service available at this time.
Argus
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Argus »

andythenorth wrote: 05 Jan 2021 07:16 But there are multiple FIRS forks, at least 6 last time I counted them.
6? I know 4 and I also count XIS .... :shock:
andythenorth
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by andythenorth »

Lebius wrote: 05 Jan 2021 18:57 Hi!
Can someone help me to compile FIRS3 GRF? :bow:
I have nml 0.5.2 running in python 3.8 or pypy3.

I also have chameleon 3.6.2, ply 3.11, markdown 3.1.1 and pillow 7.0.0, but the versions of those should not be significant.

You could try compiling this nml file (and lang dir) directly?
generated.zip
(956.45 KiB) Downloaded 144 times
Argus wrote: 05 Jan 2021 20:39
andythenorth wrote: 05 Jan 2021 07:16 But there are multiple FIRS forks, at least 6 last time I counted them.
Can't remember all the names accurately, but eh :)

AuzInd
XIS
SPI
Nekomaster's US industry set
Amak's fork (discord)
Leifbk's Norway fork
Lebius
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Lebius »

I have nml 0.5.2 running in python 3.8 or pypy3.
That was the key! :D I was able to compile it only by python3.8 and nml 0.5.2.

Annnnnnd... I have found that I'm compiling FIRS4 instead of FIRS3 :lol: :lol:
It seems that there is a lot of work for translators in new major version)

Thanks! I think, I will push some merge requests when polish the translation.
Argus
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Argus »

andythenorth wrote: 05 Jan 2021 20:45 [
Argus wrote: 05 Jan 2021 20:39
Can't remember all the names accurately, but eh :)

AuzInd
XIS
SPI
Nekomaster's US industry set
Amak's fork (discord)
Leifbk's Norway fork
I don't know Amak's fork and Leifbk's Norway fork
I forgot about auzind and spi :D
New Zealand fork and Retarded firs - 8 forks existed minimally
Lebius
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Lebius »

I have finished russian translation of FIRS3, but...

remote: Permission to andythenorth/firs.git denied to Lebius.
fatal: unable to access 'https://github.com/andythenorth/firs/': The requested URL returned error: 403
Can I get access to repo as a contributor? I wanted to push my branch)
Or I can send the only changed file by email if it will be easier :D
Auge
Director
Director

Post by Auge »

Hello
Lebius wrote: 08 Jan 2021 08:03 I have finished russian translation of FIRS3, but...

remote: Permission to andythenorth/firs.git denied to Lebius.
fatal: unable to access 'https://github.com/andythenorth/firs/': The requested URL returned error: 403
Can I get access to repo as a contributor? I wanted to push my branch)
Or I can send the only changed file by email if it will be easier :D
Do you have a Github account? If so, then clone the repo, do your translation work in a branch inside your clone, push this branch to your cloned Firs-repository on Github and open a pull request to Andys original Firs-repo. Otherwise you can provide a diff of your changes here.

But I doubt, that Andy will integrate something into a more or less outdated version (he is working on Firs 4).

Tschö, Auge
Lebius
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Lebius »

Do you have a Github account? If so, then clone the repo, do your translation work in a branch inside your clone, push this branch to your cloned Firs-repository on Github and open a pull request to Andys original Firs-repo.
Yep, I'm trying to do it) I'm getting 403 on the stage "push this branch to your cloned Firs-repository on Github".
Those words about 'permission denied' are appearing after 'git push origin <branch name>'. As far as I understand github, repo owner needs to approve me as a contributor or something like that.

I think it will be easier to attach file here)
Will continue to work on FIRS4 translation...
Attachments
russian.lng
(52.01 KiB) Downloaded 125 times
Michi_cc
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by Michi_cc »

Lebius wrote: 08 Jan 2021 09:35
Do you have a Github account? If so, then clone the repo, do your translation work in a branch inside your clone, push this branch to your cloned Firs-repository on Github and open a pull request to Andys original Firs-repo.
Yep, I'm trying to do it) I'm getting 403 on the stage "push this branch to your cloned Firs-repository on Github".
Those words about 'permission denied' are appearing after 'git push origin <branch name>'. As far as I understand github, repo owner needs to approve me as a contributor or something like that.
There seems to be a terminology mismatch here. You can't (and shouldn't) work directly on andy's FIRS repo. You should instead work on your own copy of it on GitHub. Auge called that clone, but the GitHub terminology is "fork". I.e. you go the the FIRS repo webpage and use fork button on the top right to make a copy under your GitHub account. You then clone from this copy to your PC, do the work, and push it back to GitHub. From the GitHub page of your repo, you can then create a so called "Pull Request" against andy's FIRS repo, which andy can merge if he wants.

-- Michael Lutz
Last edited by Michi_cc on 09 Jan 2021 11:32, edited 1 time in total.
Lebius
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Lebius »

Wow. It's unusual architecture for me) Thanks for the explanation!
leifbk
Chairman
Chairman

Post by leifbk »

andythenorth wrote: 05 Jan 2021 20:45 Leifbk's Norway fork
Hi, I did play around with a custom FIRS 2 for a while, removing some industries that looked positively alien in an 18th century setting, like the Sugar Refinery. I never maintained it, and never had a thought of publishing it. I soon went back to vanilla FIRS, which I'm still using (FIRS 3 Extreme). I'm occasionally blowing up the odd offending industry with the Magic Bulldozer, which is a far easier procedure than keeping your own fork.
AngelRane
Engineer
Engineer

Post by AngelRane »

Hello,
I am trying to compile FIRS3, running the included makefile. But I have a very different issue than Lebius. The compiler simply ouputs "Createprocess( .... ) failed." with no explanation. Can someone help? :|

Here is my setup:

Installed Python 3.8 and pip.
Installed Setuptools, Chameleon, Markdown, NML (0.5.3), all through pip.
Set up PATHs.
Cloned latest FIRS repo.
"make"

Nothing. I feel like I am missing something entirely obvious here, but I have been hours at it, tried different versions... no progress. I am familiar with various coding/modding, just not "make" procedure or openTTD coding in particular, yet.

C:\FIRS>make
process_begin: CreateProcess(NULL, env python3 C:\FIRS\bin\hg-info --num-id --version, ...) failed.
process_begin: CreateProcess(NULL, env python3 C:\FIRS\bin\hg-info --num-id --version, ...) failed.
process_begin: CreateProcess(NULL, env python3 C:\FIRS\bin\find-files --ext=.py --ext=.png src, ...) failed.
process_begin: CreateProcess(NULL, env python3 C:\FIRS\bin\find-files --ext=.py --ext=.pynml --ext=.lng src, ...) failed.
process_begin: CreateProcess(NULL, env python3 C:\FIRS\bin\find-files --ext=.py --ext=.pynml --ext=.pt --ext=.lng src, ...) failed.
process_begin: CreateProcess(NULL, which dot, ...) failed.
process_begin: CreateProcess(NULL, which gvpr, ...) failed.
process_begin: CreateProcess(NULL, which gvpr, ...) failed.
process_begin: CreateProcess(NULL, which dot, ...) failed.
process_begin: CreateProcess(NULL, env python3 C:\FIRS\bin\find-files --ext=.py --ext=.pynml src, ...) failed.
Python se nepovedlo najÝt. Spumake: *** [docs] Error 9009
Does it not see the files or something?
andythenorth
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by andythenorth »

AngelRane wrote: 08 Feb 2021 20:08 Hello,
I am trying to compile FIRS3, running the included makefile. But I have a very different issue than Lebius. The compiler simply ouputs "Createprocess( .... ) failed." with no explanation. Can someone help? :|
Git or mercurial checkout?

That's looking for the script that gets info from the (dead, deprecated, don't use) Mercurial repository. If you have the git checkout, it won't work, and you need to compile a newer revision.

If do you have the (dead, outdated, don't use) Mercurial checkout it should work, and I would be puzzled about the problem.

Git repo is at https://github.com/andythenorth/firs

Post back info, will see if I can help :shock:

Return to “Graphics Development”