500 Server error's

Voice your opinions, concerns and suggestions on how to make the Transport Tycoon Forums better.

Moderator: General Forums Moderators

Chrill

Re: 500 Server error's

Post by Chrill »

Voyager One wrote:I.e. You can register but you need to make X posts within Y days or your account gets deleted. 99,9% of signed in that fall into these category are spambots or advertisers.
Most spam accounts do try to post, but they get caught out by filters or, in some cases, requiring validation. The best way to stop these accounts is at the registration phase, not the posting phase. Then again, with most spammers these days being poorly paid people instead of robots, questions like "what is two plus seven?" won't catch the spammers.
My Scenarios:
Archipiélago Hermoso (Latest Release: Version 3.2)
Turnpike Falls (Latest Release: Version 0.91)
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

Side thought, but maybe perhaps it would be a good idea to purge some of these spam accounts? For example, no posts and having registered more than 3 years ago? I seriously doubt any legitimate users will have even cared if we deleted an account they created but never used.
Voyager One
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Voyager One »

kamnet wrote:no posts and having registered more than 3 years ago?
TBH, I'd be even more harsh - up to a month. Basically, if someone has registered only to be a name on the forums... what's the point of that. Anyone can read our posts without having to register.
Leon

Image Image Image Image
"... all I ask is a tall ship and a star to steer her by..." - John Masefield
Hyronymus
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Hyronymus »

Or block the IP's from common spammers. They very often register from the very same IP.
Andrew350
Chairman
Chairman

Post by Andrew350 »

kamnet wrote:Side thought, but maybe perhaps it would be a good idea to purge some of these spam accounts? For example, no posts and having registered more than 3 years ago? I seriously doubt any legitimate users will have even cared if we deleted an account they created but never used.
Voyager One wrote: TBH, I'd be even more harsh - up to a month. Basically, if someone has registered only to be a name on the forums... what's the point of that. Anyone can read our posts without having to register.
There are a few people who don't post, but still use PM's to communicate with other members. Mass-deleting these "old" accounts in such a way will inevitably cut some people off who don't deserve it, so I don't think that's really a great idea. :wink:
michael blunck
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by michael blunck »

kamnet wrote: Side thought, but maybe perhaps it would be a good idea to purge some of these spam accounts?
Nah, never. That´s strongly against tt-forums´ philosophy! In fact, it´d cut down its member count from a shiny 45,414 to a sad number somewhere in the thousands, the same what had been experienced on the German tt-forums. :cool:

regards
Michael
ChillCore
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by ChillCore »

hyronymous wrote: Or block the IP's from common spammers. They very often register from the very same IP.
That is actually one of the worst solutions as many peeps do not have static IPs, meaning you will block a lot of ligit users.
Some sites (?used to/still do?)go as far as blocking entire ranges of IPs. :roll:

Andrew350 wrote: There are a few people who don't post, but still use PM's to communicate with other members. Mass-deleting these "old" accounts in such a way will inevitably cut some people off who don't deserve it, so I don't think that's really a great idea. :wink:
I can confirm this.
I do get PMs for help with my patchpack from time to time from new members without them posting anywhere else.
I gently direct them to the forums for more help if needed but more often then not they have the needed info from my reply already so they do not post or at a later stage.

I do think there is another group of members too that does not post ... the ones that register to be able to subscribe to threads ... but I am only guessing here.
-- .- -.-- / - .... . / ..-. --- .-. -.-. . / -... . / .-- .. - .... / -.-- --- ..- .-.-.-
--- .... / -.-- . .- .... --..-- / .- -. -.. / .--. .-. .- .. ... . / - .... . / .-.. --- .-. -.. / ..-. --- .-. / .... . / --. .- ...- . / ..- ... / -.-. .... --- --- -.-. .... --- --- ... .-.-.- / ---... .--.

Playing with my patchpack? Ask questions on usage and report bugs in the correct thread first, please.
All included patches have been modified and are no longer 100% original.
Chris
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Chris »

Yes some people do lurk on the forums; it allows them to skip to the first unread post of threads and subscribe to topics etc.
Screenshots

Formerly Class 165
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

Andrew350 wrote:
kamnet wrote:Side thought, but maybe perhaps it would be a good idea to purge some of these spam accounts? For example, no posts and having registered more than 3 years ago? I seriously doubt any legitimate users will have even cared if we deleted an account they created but never used.
Voyager One wrote: TBH, I'd be even more harsh - up to a month. Basically, if someone has registered only to be a name on the forums... what's the point of that. Anyone can read our posts without having to register.
There are a few people who don't post, but still use PM's to communicate with other members. Mass-deleting these "old" accounts in such a way will inevitably cut some people off who don't deserve it, so I don't think that's really a great idea. :wink:
Oops, I meant having not LOGGED IN for more than three years.
Zakos
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Zakos »

When it comes to spammers, I trust the mods to take care of it. Even the dormant ones are easy to label when you examine their profiles; they stand out on the members list, having 0 posts but still an entry for their website.

These two, for instance.

Organize the list to see the newest members and you'll see they're as plentiful as ants.
WWTBAM

Post by WWTBAM »

Hmm, the forums are intermittently slowing to a crawl. It was happening yesterday, but thought it was my connection but today it's not.
Formerly known as r0b0t_b0y2003, robotboy, roboboy and beclawat. The best place to get the most recent nightly builds of TTDPatch is: http://roboboy.users.tt-forums.net/TTDPatch/nightlies/
orudge
Administrator
Administrator

Post by orudge »

Yes, it will perhaps still be slow now and then.
ChillCore
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by ChillCore »

So the site was slow again this morning ...

I had a look at the members list and at the rate of spammers registering it is no wonder the site slows to a crawl.
Having a second look at the active members list and looking what the guests are doing ... no less then five were registering at the same time.

Can't we take away their toy?
All they want is post their links in their profiles ... can we not restrict that ... eg. no persoanl links before 20 posts or so.
That will stop them because then they have to spend time making posts that make sense, just an idea.

[OT]
Mr. rudge, if you need an extra pair of hands to deal with them for an hour or so a day, feel free to send me a PM.
I know ... one should not ask and I am not, just offering a pair of eyes in case you want them.
I am reluctant to deal with the normal moderator tasks but spammers, I'd be more then happy.
-- .- -.-- / - .... . / ..-. --- .-. -.-. . / -... . / .-- .. - .... / -.-- --- ..- .-.-.-
--- .... / -.-- . .- .... --..-- / .- -. -.. / .--. .-. .- .. ... . / - .... . / .-.. --- .-. -.. / ..-. --- .-. / .... . / --. .- ...- . / ..- ... / -.-. .... --- --- -.-. .... --- --- ... .-.-.- / ---... .--.

Playing with my patchpack? Ask questions on usage and report bugs in the correct thread first, please.
All included patches have been modified and are no longer 100% original.
Purno
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Purno »

ChillCore wrote:Can't we take away their toy?
All they want is post their links in their profiles ... can we not restrict that ... eg. no persoanl links before 20 posts or so.
That will stop them because then they have to spend time making posts that make sense, just an idea.
Doesn't sound like a bad idea, actually. But I guess you can lower it to 10 posts, or perhaps even 5. I don't think our lovely moderator team lets those spammers get any further than that :P
Contributor to the The 2cc Set and Dutch Trainset. Inventor of the Metro concept. Retired Graphics Artist.
Image Image
Download TT | Latest TTDPatch | OpenTTD | OpenTTDCoop | BaNaNaS: OpenTTD content system | 2048² OTTD scenario of the Netherlands
GRF Codec | GRF Crawler | GRF Maker | Usefull graphics & tools sites | NML Documentation Wiki | NFO Documentation Wiki
All my graphics are licensed under GPL. "Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else."
orudge
Administrator
Administrator

Post by orudge »

That suggestion involves having to hack up phpBB though, which I don't really have time to do. I put more anti spam measures into place recently, I'll just have to see what else I can do.
michael blunck
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by michael blunck »

orudge wrote: I put more anti spam measures into place recently [...]
How about eventually getting rid of thousands of spam (bot) "members"? And since most of the spamming today isn´t only done by bots but by humans, simply "taking measures" wouldn´t be appropriate anymore. The only real solution would be to remove them from the DB.

Well, I know, I´m always proposing the same thing ...
bot party 10.png
bot party 10.png (6.73 KiB) Viewed 2530 times
regards
Michael
WWTBAM

Post by WWTBAM »

Well 27 of the most recent on the memberlist are about to go.

Edit: Also if a user is banned, they don't show up in the birthday list.
Formerly known as r0b0t_b0y2003, robotboy, roboboy and beclawat. The best place to get the most recent nightly builds of TTDPatch is: http://roboboy.users.tt-forums.net/TTDPatch/nightlies/
Purno
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Purno »

I was unable to load the forums at all, for roughly 30 mins, 5 mins ago. Not complaining, just letting you know in case you didn't know yet :P
roboboy wrote:Edit: Also if a user is banned, they don't show up in the birthday list.
Is that enough to speed things up? Can't the birthday thing be disabled for new sign ups? TBH, since the birthday list is usually 99% spambots, I wouldn't miss it if it was gone completely.

Michael Blunck has a good point. There's thousands of accounts filling up the database. I'm sure accounts that have no posts and weren't logged in for a long time would be safe to delete. But I guess Owen is already aware of this suggestion.
Contributor to the The 2cc Set and Dutch Trainset. Inventor of the Metro concept. Retired Graphics Artist.
Image Image
Download TT | Latest TTDPatch | OpenTTD | OpenTTDCoop | BaNaNaS: OpenTTD content system | 2048² OTTD scenario of the Netherlands
GRF Codec | GRF Crawler | GRF Maker | Usefull graphics & tools sites | NML Documentation Wiki | NFO Documentation Wiki
All my graphics are licensed under GPL. "Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else."
WWTBAM

Post by WWTBAM »

I have heard rumours of Owen thinking about changing his spam(bot) keeping policies
Hyronymus
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Hyronymus »

roboboy wrote:Well 27 of the most recent on the memberlist are about to go.

Edit: Also if a user is banned, they don't show up in the birthday list.
That depends on hoe you ban them: if you ban their IP or domain they still appear in the birthday list.

Return to “Forum Suggestions and Feedback”