Useful Graphic Tools & Sites & Install Guides

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

Dinges
Tycoon
Tycoon

Useful Graphic Tools & Sites & Install Guides

Post by Dinges »

This is the list of graphic tools you can download and a list of sites to visit.

First comes the site and then optionally a topic where the discussion is, if there is something you need to know, do it there :!:. If there isn't a topic about it, please start a new one...

Installing Guides for new graphics
(How to?) How to install new graphics on TTDPatch

(For more general install guides and questions about TTDPatch in General:
Where do I get help? HERE! - Wiki, Answers, Installing guide)

Managing GRF files
Graphic Manager ( topic )
Vehicles translate tool
bug tracker

Editing and making new Graphics
GRFCodec ( topic, download )
GRF Wizard ( topic )
New Graphics Specs
LibGrf
Palette documentation
GRF Creator
WinGrf
graphics tutorials (Backup: graphics tutorials backup)
sprite editor
GRFmaker
NML topic | NML documentation

Converting Graphics
GRDTOGRF (EXE > GRF aswell)
Win-DOS Conversion

Graphics Sites
GRFCrawler - Search for Graphics ( topic )
TTD Urban Renewal ( topic )
George's New Graphics ( topic)

more to be added...

Have you made a tool yourself, post below here and I'll add it to the list, then I'll delete your post.

No offtopic here :!:

Update tracker
2010-12-28: added links to the NML topic and documentation (Hyronymus)
2010-12-27: Removed links to Dinges' graphics site, Michael Blunck's graphics site and the Total Town Replacement graphics site (all the associated graphics remain available in grfcrawler) (Hyronymus)
2010-04-01: Added link to GRFCodec nightlies (orudge)
2009-04-15: Added GrfAuthor (Szappy / Open source)
2006-04-25: Fixed newgrf, tutorial and George's links, added NFORenum (patchman)
2005-08-27: Added new Install Guide Section
2005-01-18: Added Grf Crawler (eis_os)
2004-12-04: Added sprite editor (Szappy)
2004-12-04: Added Total Town Replacement Set (TTRS) (Zimmlock)
2004-12-04: Added graphics tutorials (Purno)
2004-12-04: Added bug tracker (ChrisCF)
2004-06-03: Added LibGrf location
2004-02-18: Fixed newgrf.txt file location
2004-02-10: Added palette doc and GRF Creator (orudge)
2003-11-12: Added GRDTOGRF (eis_os)
2003-10-23: Added a topic for ChrisCF's LibGrf
2003-10-23: Added Vehicle names Translate tool
2003-10-23: Added George's site
Last edited by Hyronymus on 28 Dec 2010 16:46, edited 13 times in total.
Reason: Updated/purged links
spaceman-spiff
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator

Post by spaceman-spiff »

Veni, vidi, vici :P
Well, back to work, lot's of it in the near future
krtaylor
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by krtaylor »

If you are wanting to edit graphics, the Paint program that comes with Windows won't work very well because it doesn't read the palette files. There are two free software programs that are very nice: iMage and Jasc PaintShop Pro. Newer versions of PSP cost money, but you can find the older ones for free download with a quick Google (but the hosts may change, so I won't list them here).

If somebody knows something about iMage (I don't), then please post accordingly. I just know a lot of artists on the forum use it.

If you're rich and smart, Adobe Photoshop is excellent. But it's very expen$$ive and very complicated.
Development Projects Site:
http://www.as-st.com/ttd
Japan, American Transition, Planeset, and Project Generic Stations available there
Purno
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Purno »

Paint is good enough. Just paste the sprites in the decoded PCX again and it works. AFAIK.
Contributor to the The 2cc Set and Dutch Trainset. Inventor of the Metro concept. Retired Graphics Artist.
Image Image
Download TT | Latest TTDPatch | OpenTTD | OpenTTDCoop | BaNaNaS: OpenTTD content system | 2048² OTTD scenario of the Netherlands
GRF Codec | GRF Crawler | GRF Maker | Usefull graphics & tools sites | NML Documentation Wiki | NFO Documentation Wiki
All my graphics are licensed under GPL. "Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else."
DaleStan
TTDPatch Developer
TTDPatch Developer

Post by DaleStan »

Purno wrote:Paint is good enough. Just paste the sprites in the decoded PCX again and it works. AFAIK.
But you still have to have something that reads PCXes.
I notice The GIMP (Windows installers here) is not mentioned; that's what I use for palettezation and PNG<->PCX conversions.
As an added bonus, it's GPLed, unlike most of the other software promoted here.
To get a good answer, ask a Smart Question. Similarly, if you want a bug fixed, write a Useful Bug Report. No TTDPatch crashlog? Then follow directions.
Projects: NFORenum (download) | PlaneSet (Website) | grfcodec (download) | grfdebug.log parser
Purno
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Purno »

IrfanView can convert too.
Contributor to the The 2cc Set and Dutch Trainset. Inventor of the Metro concept. Retired Graphics Artist.
Image Image
Download TT | Latest TTDPatch | OpenTTD | OpenTTDCoop | BaNaNaS: OpenTTD content system | 2048² OTTD scenario of the Netherlands
GRF Codec | GRF Crawler | GRF Maker | Usefull graphics & tools sites | NML Documentation Wiki | NFO Documentation Wiki
All my graphics are licensed under GPL. "Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else."
George
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by George »

krtaylor wrote:If you're rich and smart, Adobe Photoshop is excellent. But it's very expen$$ive and very complicated.
Adobe Photoshop is excellent and not complicated
Image Image Image Image
Purno
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Purno »

Once you got used to it, it isn't complicated anymore. IMO it is very complicated, therefore I use paint, which is very simple
Image Image
Lightglobe
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by Lightglobe »

Photoshop isn't complicated. People just don't understand that the best way to learn is to just play around with it. Of course, I don't really use it for that much creation, I use it more for editing.
Yarr, thar princess is in 'nother castle!

[16:28] <marcf> lol cant u comine ttd and ottd
[16:29] <marcf> (please don't take me seriously)
Purno
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Purno »

I tried to figure out Photoshop, but I couldn't figure out how to draw a single pixel... something I really need to know for making TT graphics. :roll:
Image Image
Aegir
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Aegir »

Purno wrote:I tried to figure out Photoshop, but I couldn't figure out how to draw a single pixel... something I really need to know for making TT graphics. :roll:
Photoshop isnt really that hard, just screw around with it and you'll figure it out. Or, just use Paint. Doesnt work too badly imo.
Currently working under the name 'reldred' on Github, and Discord.
NFO/NML coder, part-time patch writer for JGRPP, and all round belligerent.

14:40 <orudge> I can't say I discriminate against any particular user
14:41 <Aegir> orudge: I can!
George
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by George »

Purno wrote:I tried to figure out Photoshop, but I couldn't figure out how to draw a single pixel... something I really need to know for making TT graphics. :roll:
Pensil tool.
Image Image Image Image
Singaporekid
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Singaporekid »

Aegir wrote:Photoshop isnt really that hard, just screw around with it and you'll figure it out. Or, just use Paint. Doesnt work too badly imo.
Photoshop takes up too mch CPU load for me, I'd say MSpaint and easy graphic converter
<+Raichase> ugh, I just ate some of my beard D:
Aegir
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Aegir »

Singaporekid wrote:
Aegir wrote:Photoshop isnt really that hard, just screw around with it and you'll figure it out. Or, just use Paint. Doesnt work too badly imo.
Photoshop takes up too mch CPU load for me, I'd say MSpaint and easy graphic converter
How well does pallete'ing work in Easy graphic converter? Or do you just wack your sprites into a image with the pallete already sorted?

Oh, and I think we're going offtopic here, maybe after we all agree on a method, we can tutorialize it and stick it in this thread ;)
Currently working under the name 'reldred' on Github, and Discord.
NFO/NML coder, part-time patch writer for JGRPP, and all round belligerent.

14:40 <orudge> I can't say I discriminate against any particular user
14:41 <Aegir> orudge: I can!
krtaylor
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by krtaylor »

Maybe a mod should chop off all the posts after mine? Then if a consensus is ever acheived, the mod can remove mine and replace it with whatever that consensus is.
Development Projects Site:
http://www.as-st.com/ttd
Japan, American Transition, Planeset, and Project Generic Stations available there
lobster
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by lobster »

krtaylor wrote:If somebody knows something about iMage (I don't), then please post accordingly. I just know a lot of artists on the forum use it.
I.mage is amazing. i use for everything TTD related. you can extract a palette from an existing graphic or use the PSP one, and load that. it's still in development, but you can get it here:

click!
"Your mother was a lobster, and your father... was also a lobster" -- The rascal formerly known as astath -- Last.fm -- Official TT-Dave Worley Fan Club

<orudge> make love to me while I surf, dear lobster
Hyronymus
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Hyronymus »

Gurluas2000
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by Gurluas2000 »

hey on the ttd graphic site... I POSTED the tto terrain and ufos not Szappy... i dont even know who he is?
WTF is going on?
Rob
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Rob »

Due to a crash nearly all data got lost.
If something is wrong just report it here.
Wie zich gelukkig voelt met het geluk van anderen, bezit een rijkdom zonder grenzen. (F.Daels)
Still the best OS around
Wile E. Coyote
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Wile E. Coyote »

I think it's time to renew links. Many of them are old links which not working.
Serbian rail set with Serbian scenario (ECS, PBI, FIRS and Tourist set compatible) Website | Topic and download | Latest version: 03.06.2015.
Serbian tram set Tracking table | TTD Patch tram set Latest version: 17.06.2015. | Open TTD Remix Latest version: 11.07.2015.
WIN-DOS GRF Converter Topic and download | Version 0.2.1: 09.01.2005.

Runner-up in "Best avatar Forums award" for years 2006 and 2010!

Return to “Graphics Development”