[OTTD] Central European Towns - Release Thread

Find and discuss all the latest NewGRF releases for TTDPatch and OpenTTD here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

super_dan
Engineer
Engineer

[OTTD] Central European Towns - Release Thread

Post by super_dan »

Central European Towns - Release Thread

cet_collage_721x400.png
cet_collage_721x400.png (351.95 KiB) Viewed 4475 times

Central European Towns (CET) is an OpenTTD full houses replacement set that adds house types and sprites in Central European (more or less: Austrian, German, Swiss) style to the game.
In addition, CET introduces three town types: Village, Town, and City. Each in-game town will progress through these stages, thereby changing its look and structure.

Contributors
Graphics by Chataigne, Fraenklie and super_dan (dant).
Code by super_dan (dant).

Thank you very much for the great work and collaboration so far! :D

Special thanks to Andythenorth for his templating tutorial which helped very much in organising the code. :bow:

Features
  • Replacement sprites and new house types of Central European Style.
  • Town Types: From rural villages to smalltowns to dense cities with road-aware block perimeter development - As towns grow in population, they will progress through these stages and change their appearance.
  • Six historical eras for better simulation of changes in town structure and architectural history.
  • Old towns and Historicist rings: When starting a game prior to 1920, towns will create an old town district and a ring of late 19th century Historicism-inspired houses.
  • City parks: Park areas form in cities, limited only by the road network.
  • Hotels and larger office buildings need station infrastructure or special buildings (e.g. cathedrals) for them to be built.

Notes on the Current Version (0.7.0)
  • Currently available via in-game content is version 0.7.0 (Alpha). It is fully playable but still lacks parameters and many sprites. Thus, it may still look boring at some spots. I wanted the code base of the set to be fully functional before including all graphics available.
  • CET currently is set to not allow for base set houses to occur. This will be implemented as a parameter in the upcoming update.
  • There are no known dependency issues. So far, I have tested CET together with TTRS3 and The European Road Set as well as PolRoad without any issues. Please report any issues you might find in this thread.

Development Road Map
  • Version 0.8.0: Introduce parameters for the main features of the set where possible (e.g. town type population definitions).
  • Version 0.9.0: Add all sprites developed for the set in order to increase the variety and make towns look more diverse and interesting.
  • Version 1.0: Bugfixed, full-feature version of the set.

Central European Towns is available via the in-game content and on BaNaNaS.

A more detailed description of the set and its features is available here. You can check out the changelog as well as the full code source on Github.

Please report any bugs or glitches in this thread. If you have suggestions for further development, please refer to the dev thread as this greatly helps me to keep an overview: viewtopic.php?t=89495
temporal8
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Re: [OTTD] Central European Towns - Release Thread

Post by temporal8 »

Congratulations, it is a very good start, it looks very correct and beautiful, I have no doubt that we can expect a lot from this townset. :wink:
Real Projects 32bpp releases:

Real Semi Trucks 32bpp: viewtopic.php?t=90996
Real Houses Eyecandy Objects 32bp: viewtopic.php?t=90767
Real Ships 32bpp: viewtopic.php?t=90733
Real Industries 32bpp: viewtopic.php?t=90183
Real Houses Townset 32bp: viewtopic.php?p=1254605
Real Stations 32bpp: viewtopic.php?p=1255635
Real Cars 32bpp: viewtopic.php?p=1249244
Real Vehicles 32bpp: viewtopic.php?p=1253581
Real Bus 32bpp: viewtopic.php?p=1249245
Real Trucks 32bpp: viewtopic.php?p=1254468
Real Parks 32bpp: viewtopic.php?p=1250255
Argentina World Cup 2022 Champions Bus 32bpp viewtopic.php?p=1257026
moof
Engineer
Engineer

Post by moof »

Hi! It seems great, but... how can I use it? ?( After downloading and implementing to the game, I don't have any new buildings both in the objects section and in the scenario editor. Also new towns are not different from previous ones. What am I doing wrong?
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

moof wrote: 18 Jul 2023 07:56 Hi! It seems great, but... how can I use it? ?( After downloading and implementing to the game, I don't have any new buildings both in the objects section and in the scenario editor. Also new towns are not different from previous ones. What am I doing wrong?
First you have to add it to your active NewGRFs. Second, you have to start a new game or a new Scenario Editor session. You cannot modify the graphics in an active game, save file or scenario without potentially corrupting the game, so that is disabled by default.
moof
Engineer
Engineer

Post by moof »

kamnet wrote: 18 Jul 2023 09:03 First you have to add it to your active NewGRFs. Second, you have to start a new game or a new Scenario Editor session. You cannot modify the graphics in an active game, save file or scenario without potentially corrupting the game, so that is disabled by default.
I know I do look like a noob with just few posts here, but I'm playing one map for few years, constantly adding and deleting newgrfs from it. Currently have about 50-60 active grfs. So I know how to add newgrf to the active list, how to change settings (if possible) and so on; I have even experienced some crashes ;)

However nothing is working with that particular newgrf. It does work with a new game, but not with the saved one - and this is the first case like this in my game.
Argus
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Argus »

It works for me, this is not a new game either.
They work for me in all climates, only the subarctic one still lacks the snowy version.
I guess you have to wait for the cities to develop, I also didn't have new buildings there immediately after adding them.
Errors that may be caused by adding graphics to an existing game should not be reported, and unfortunately this cannot be ruled out.
May conflict with other graphics. You never know.
Attachments
Reborough Transport, 12. čer 1891.png
(178.4 KiB) Not downloaded yet
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

moof wrote: 18 Jul 2023 09:54 constantly adding and deleting newgrfs from it. Currently have about 50-60 active grfs.
Cool! If you're running multiple town NewGRFs (that's me too!) then it's very likely that depending on where you put it in the list, it's just being crowed out by the others. Try removing all but CETSS and that should force buildings to show up, or display default OpenTTD houses in which case as cities grow they'll get replaced.
moof
Engineer
Engineer

Post by moof »

Ok, I see, it seems it's just impossible to build these buildings in the scenario editor. That's a pity for me, as I don't let my towns to grow - instead I build every tile manually.

Thank you, guys, for explanations :) I hope one day this set will be released in a possible-to-built-manually version ;)
Argus
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Argus »

kamnet wrote: 18 Jul 2023 16:49
moof wrote: 18 Jul 2023 09:54 constantly adding and deleting newgrfs from it. Currently have about 50-60 active grfs.
Cool! If you're running multiple town NewGRFs (that's me too!) then it's very likely that depending on where you put it in the list, it's just being crowed out by the others. Try removing all but CETSS and that should force buildings to show up, or display default OpenTTD houses in which case as cities grow they'll get replaced.
Yes, that's another thing. The number of possible different buildings in the game seems to be limited. Once I use too many building sets, some won't even show up. Or they are simply overwritten by parts of others. Only a few buildings from some sets will appear in the scenario editor.
Quast65
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Quast65 »

Argus wrote: 18 Jul 2023 19:34 Only a few buildings from some sets will appear in the scenario editor.
The magic number is 512 total
Hence why I really advise townset developers to also offer their beautiful graphics as an object set.
Projects: http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=57266
Screenshots: http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?f=47&t=56959
Scenario of The Netherlands: viewtopic.php?f=60&t=87604

Winner of the following screenshot competitions:
sep 2012, jan 2013, apr 2013, aug 2013, mar 2014, mar 2016, oct 2020
All my work is released under GPL-license (either V2 or V3), if not clearly stated otherwise.
fridaemon
Director
Director

Post by fridaemon »

Quast65 wrote: 18 Jul 2023 21:40 The magic number is 512 total
Is it in JGR's version too?
ImageImageImageImageImage
Beach Objects * Shopping Centres * Skyscrapers * Garage Entrances
Modular Warehouses * Trucks & Buses Parking Lots * Bus Depots * Bus Terminals
Road Waypoints * Road Stops * Eyecandy Objects * Building Set

Winner of the Screenshot of 09/20, 11/20, 02/21, 06/21, 07/21, 05/22 and 06/22.:twisted:
Quast65
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Quast65 »

fridaemon wrote: 19 Jul 2023 07:03 Is it in JGR's version too?
I only use JGR, but the version I use is a bit older now.
May be good to doublecheck in his thread/discord if that is still the limit (or if it is possible to increase it)

All my work is released under GPL-license (either V2 or V3), if not clearly stated otherwise.
super_dan
Engineer
Engineer

Post by super_dan »

moof wrote: 18 Jul 2023 17:02 Ok, I see, it seems it's just impossible to build these buildings in the scenario editor. That's a pity for me, as I don't let my towns to grow - instead I build every tile manually.

Thank you, guys, for explanations :) I hope one day this set will be released in a possible-to-built-manually version ;)
You should be able to make CET houses appear in the scenario editor. There should also be no limitations regarding other house sets. Only the standard houses are disabled (this is subject to change by the player via parameter with the upcoming version, though).

The set should also not have too many issues with the houses limit of 512 items. The variety comes via the animation control feature, meaning, not every single house you see is its own item.

If you want to build your cities up in the scenario editor, that's how I did it, too, while testing. However, please note the following: if you create a new town with, let's say 500ish population, only the village houses will show up. If you expand that town, it will at some point get into the "town" and "city" phases. But the centre needs to be demolished a few times for the block perimeter houses to be built there in the process.
super_dan
Engineer
Engineer

Post by super_dan »

Quast65 wrote: 18 Jul 2023 21:40
Argus wrote: 18 Jul 2023 19:34 Only a few buildings from some sets will appear in the scenario editor.
The magic number is 512 total
Hence why I really advise townset developers to also offer their beautiful graphics as an object set.
Don't spoil the surprise :wink:

As mentioned in the dev thread, I will make an object set. Work is already in progress. As soon as I have finished parameters for this set, I will finish it up.
Quast65
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Quast65 »

Awesome! :bow: :wink:

gravelpit
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by gravelpit »

is it newgrf download or something else?
super_dan
Engineer
Engineer

Post by super_dan »

You can download the set via the in-game content download. Just search for CET or Central European Towns.

Return to “Graphics Releases”