Renewed City Growth - a GameScript for OpenTTD
RCG is a GameScript that manages towns growth in a new and balanced way, making growth depend on varied cargo delivery (passengers, food, goods, ...). The script supports Baseset, FIRS and ECS industries. It is born as a fork of kormer's GS
SwissTrans, 1937-06-27#4.png [ 478.61 KiB | Viewed 20156 times ]
How this works:
The script only triggers growth in the towns which are already exchanging passengers. This is the condition for town growth. If a town supplies passengers in any way, the script starts calculating cargo requirements for this town. Its growth rate is calculated (non linearly) on the basis of the degree of achievement for cargo requirements. If there is more cargo than necessary, it is stockpiled for later use.
Cargo requirements are not defined for individual cargo types, but for cargo categories. Depending on the used industry set, there are 3 or 5 categories;
For Baseset industries, we use 3 categories:
- Cat 1: Passengers and Mail
- Cat 2: General goods (includes food and goods)
- Cat 3: Industrial materials (includes coal, wood, grain...)
For FIRS and ECS, we use 5 categories (but they can be reduced to 3 or 4 categories):
- Cat 1: Passengers and mail (includes also ECS' Tourists)
- Cat 2: General food (includes: food, alcohol, fruit...)
- Cat 3: General goods (includes: goods, petrol, building material...)
- Cat 4: Raw industrial material (includes: coal, oil, wood...)
- Cat 5: Transformed industrial material (includes: chemicals, lumber,
manufacturing supplies, farm supplies...)
It doesn't matter which type of cargo you deliver to achieve category goals. To achieve requirements for Cat. 2 (general food), you can deliver food, alcohol or fruits. Requirements increases depending on town size, in two ways:
- each category starts being required only on a defined town size. Passengers and mail are required immediately, while General food cargos are required only for towns bigger 500 and General goods cargos, for towns bigger than 1500.
- for each cargo category, requirement increases linearly depending on town size.
Hence, little towns only need Cat.1 cargos (Passengers and mail) to grow. Cities with at least 500 habitants also need - increasingly - food. When cities grow more, other categories come in play. That means, that in the end, you can only expect to have a full - and long term - city growth when developing some local industry, to which deliver raw and transformed industrial materials.The StoryBook gives detailed informations about cargo categories. Here an example, for FIRS (Firs economy):
RCG-StoryBook.png [ 43.25 KiB | Viewed 18053 times ]
Other features/things to know:
- The town box gives information about cargos, in the form Category: requirement / supplied (last month) / stockpiled (last month).
- The growth rate is calculated using an average over 8 months, to avoid big gaps and smoothen transitions. Growth rates only change progressively and exponentially, depending on cargo supply.
- Data are saved: you can safely save and reload your games without losing the stockpiling datas, growth rates, and so on.
- There is a difficulty setting (50 = easy, 100 = medium, 150 = hard). 100 is the normal level that I recommend in order to have a real challenge, yet not to hard. Other settings allow better tuning the script.
- For a more detailed description, see the readme.txt file.
- OpenTTD version 1.4
- SuperLib v. 38
- The last stable script version (which is now v5), hosted on BaNaNaS can be downloaded from this link.
- A recent development revision (which is now r126) can also be downloaded here (see attachment below). This might contain bugs, which I wait you to report, so you help me to make the script better !
- You can browse the code or get last revisions on http://dev.openttdcoop.org//projects/gs-rcg/.
Please report bugs, either here on forum's topic, either on repository's bugtracker
. That will be *greatly* appreciated. Also, before reporting bugs, make sure you are using the last revision (see below).Have fun !Updates06/01/2015: Revision 127
- fix: better handle the save process if towndata are being updated
- fix: remove old warning storybook pages in monthly update31/12/2014: version 5
- new: add several expert settings to fine tune calculations
- new: add a setting to disable growth rate text under town names
- new: add a setting allowing to merge some categories
- new: add a StoryPage with cargo category informations
- new: add support for YETI - needs testing and feedback
- new: add a method for checking whether industry setting is consistent
- change: only display required categories in townboxes
- fix: disabling original arctic and tropical cargo requirements
- fix: unifying variables style28/08/2014: version 4
- added support for baseset industries (temperate, arctic, tropical,
toyland), all FIRS' economies and ECS (all vectors)
- introducing GSText and lang files
- townboxes text formatting improved
- added a method to check savegame compatibility between revisions
- savegame code completely rewritten and simplified
- code cleanup and additional comments
- readme.txt completely rewritten
- updated to SuperLib v. 38
- setting up hg repository
- fix: game is no more crashing when new towns are founded. Thanks to
- fix: game is no more crashing when saving immediately after loading
- fix: the script now correctly counts the deliveries from all
- fix: lot of bugs; no more know bugs25/07/2014: version 2
- some bug fixes
- some recalculations, specially on the scaling of city growth, depending on goal achievements.
- no more pausing each month12/01/2014: version 1