OpenGFX - Graphics Base Set

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

maquinista
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: [8bpp] Graphics Replacement Project - OpenGFX

Post by maquinista »

Also, You can share the other version as a new GRF.
Sorry if my english is too poor, I want learn it, but it isn't too easy.[/list][/size]
Raumkraut
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Raumkraut »

IMO Red*Star's docks are too... "busy". To me they are reminiscent of some of the "advanced" station/building GRFs I've seen, rather than the generally cleaner, smoother look of the original TTD sprites.
I guess the thing that jars the most is the greenness of the ground. AFAICT the colour/texture doesn't really fit with any other surface anywhere else in the game. Make it the same grey as the locks, or the other docks, and that would 'clean' it up I think.
Another thing which doesn't feel right is the lack of a discrete edge to the dock. At the moment it looks like the base was designed so that you could have adjacent docks (which IIRC is not possible) merge into one platform, graphically. Though maybe that just means I think it's too wide. :)

Now I don't use ships in-game that often, so I could be wrong, but don't ships only ever dock at the end of the platform? The poor crane operator is likely to get awfully bored... ;)

I've commented against the 'busy-ness' of the standard railway station platforms in the past, too. :)
Ammler
President
President

Post by Ammler »

Guys, you rock!

Now, I have still a "little" request, could you make OpenGFX completly independent from originals? Empty stprites in the logo grf and in toyland doesn't matter that much, as we do not play that often with it anyway. (That might change, if the replacement for Toyland is finished too. ;--)

But then we could use the replacement as full and do not need to link to the suspecting original downloads.

That would help for support very much.

Dunno, if the devs would include a 90% finished GRF, but I am sure, i.e. dedicated server wouldn't care either.

Greets
Ammler
Jupix
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by Jupix »

FWIW, I prefer Red*Star's canal lock.
#################
orb
Engineer
Engineer

Post by orb »

DJ Nekkid wrote:well, i did get it working, but now monorail and maglev trains are purple/pink ish, and some buildings are as well ;)

and yes, i have that, and all other, file(s) in my \data folder (winxp)
I have the same problem with purple graphics, and had with dialog box of corrupted opentddw.grf.
The dialog box screenshot you posted is shown because there is invalid md5 of openttdw.grf in your opengfx.obg file. It won't show again if you copy md5 of openttdw.grf from orig_win.obg file.

md5 of openttdw.grf from build 14275 (or 14253 as is described inside orig_win.obg file):

Code: Select all

[md5s]
openttdw.grf = d265ad550b7ca83ae94d83492c3cad11
Though it won't repair monorail, maglev and some buildings graphics :cry: .
buttercup
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by buttercup »

Here are the most recent temperate buildings and Red*Star's docks/locks.
Attachments
redstardocks.grf
(20.14 KiB) Downloaded 286 times
OpenGFX - Temperate Buildings.grf
(72.8 KiB) Downloaded 279 times
DeletedUser5
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by DeletedUser5 »

About toyland: Foobar, you forgot to include bubbles and battery farm. I did coded and released both some time ago.

Anyway should I code special planes into eyecandy grf, or leave it for someone else for some other grf?
FooBar
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by FooBar »

Soeb wrote:About toyland: Foobar, you forgot to include bubbles and battery farm. I did coded and released both some time ago.
No, I haven't, because I decided to do toyland only when it's completely (or as much as the rest is now) finished. The trees were conveniently coded. While I was busy with the other trees, I added the toyland trees (not all though) in like 5 seconds. Seperate toyland stuff isn't worth the effort right now, because most of it is missing anyways.
orb wrote:I have the same problem with purple graphics,
That's a feature and not a bug.
orb wrote:and had with dialog box of corrupted opentddw.grf.
That might be because I'm using an older version of OpenTTD, and openttdw.grf has been updated since. I'll look into that, but that message should not further effect gameplay.
Ammler wrote:I have still a "little" request, could you make OpenGFX completly independent from originals?
I was planning on doing the openttdw.grf tonight, but if you like (I'm assuming that, so no need to reply), I can start with creating blank files for trgtr and trgir. Because new things came available for trg1r, you can expect an new release either tonight or somewhere tomorrow.
Ammler wrote:Dunno, if the devs would include a 90% finished GRF
Possibly only when everything except toyland is completely finished. Otherwise I don't think so.
DJ Nekkid wrote:Image
Yes, that error text is a bit misleading. It should read "Your 'openttdw.grf' file is corrupted or missing! Or maybe not. The final version of OpenGFX will fix this error. ;)"
orb
Engineer
Engineer

Post by orb »

FooBar wrote:
orb wrote:I have the same problem with purple graphics,
That's a feature and not a bug.
Oh. I understand. Missing sprites from opengfx1r.grf are pink/purple.
FooBar wrote:
orb wrote:and had with dialog box of corrupted opentddw.grf.
That might be because I'm using an older version of OpenTTD, and openttdw.grf has been updated since. I'll look into that, but that message should not further effect gameplay.
This was about below message:
FooBar wrote:
DJ Nekkid wrote:Image
Yes, that error text is a bit misleading. It should read "Your 'openttdw.grf' file is corrupted or missing! Or maybe not. The final version of OpenGFX will fix this error. ;)"
It's not an error, only warning message that calculated md5 of openttdw.grf is other than that in opengfx.obg - if it's disturbing, it won't show if replaced with corresponding md5 from orig_win.obg.
FooBar
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by FooBar »

That last one error will be absolutely history as soon as we have a proper opengfxw.grf to replace the openttdw.grf. For now either just ignore it or indeed copy over the corresponding md5 hash.

Zephyris, I'm pretty much in the need of sprite number 1420. That's a full paved tile, which should go under a lot of things like for instance the statue. I don't seem to be able to locate that, but I'm pretty sure you have it sitting around somewhere.EDIT: Never mind, I've found one in the industries grf.

EDIT:
New release!
This one contains replacements for all original graphic files. Please note that not all sprites are included, so don't complain about that. I also removed the red placeholder sprites. The disadvantage of this is that the game will glitch if it doesn't have a sprite to draw (check toyland for a good example of that). The advantage is that all remains of the original graphics are removed.

Just unzip into your data directory. If the data directory is located outside the openttd directory, the game will use OpenGFX by default. Otherwise, add graphicsset = OpenGFX to the end of the [misc] section of your openttd.cfg. Note: requires recent nightly, will not work in 0.6.x.
opengfx[2].zip
(2.11 MiB) Downloaded 524 times
The following things are still missing from opengfx1r.grf:

Code: Select all

//912-989 african manager faces
//1406-1407 street lights
//1414-1419 road reconstruction
//1530-1535 modern office building
//1552-1553 theatre
//2353-2364 jack lumber's house
//2727-2732 docks
//2809-2904 wagons monorail/maglev
//2981-2992 locomotives monorail
//2993-3016 locomotives maglev
//3073-3083 rail smoke effects
//3701-3740 smoke/explosion effects
//3910-3917 submarine
//3918-3919 small fighter
//3920 large ufo
//3921 large fighter
//3922-3923 apache fighter
//4404-4405 cinema
//4406-4417 mall
//4434-4445 several office buildings
//4462-4465 arctic church
//4471-4476 arctic hotel
//4480-4492 arctic office buildings
//4574 snow equiv of 4434-4437 (several office buildings)
//4575 snow equiv of 4438-4441 (office block)
//4576 snow equiv of 4442-4445 (office block)
//4579 snow equiv of 4464-4465 (arctic church)
//4583-4584 snow equiv of 4471-4476 (hotel)
//4585 snow equiv of 4480-4482 (offices)
//4586-4587 snow equiv of 4485-4492 (offices)
//4604 tropic building
//4614-4619 weird modern building
//4623-4625 modern building
//4627-4789 toyland buildings industries whatsoever
//several toyland trees
//4790 buy land sign
Docks are not included awaiting the result of the discussion.

There are some issues with buildings being recoloured or something. I'll look into that later.
Last edited by FooBar on 12 Oct 2008 21:17, edited 1 time in total.
Purno
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Purno »

FooBar wrote:Zephyris, I'm pretty much in the need of sprite number 1420. That's a full paved tile, which should go under a lot of things like for instance the statue. I don't seem to be able to locate that, but I'm pretty sure you have it sitting around somewhere.
Please take in consideration light grey text might be unreadable in SubSilver. :wink:
Contributor to the The 2cc Set and Dutch Trainset. Inventor of the Metro concept. Retired Graphics Artist.
Image Image
Download TT | Latest TTDPatch | OpenTTD | OpenTTDCoop | BaNaNaS: OpenTTD content system | 2048² OTTD scenario of the Netherlands
GRF Codec | GRF Crawler | GRF Maker | Usefull graphics & tools sites | NML Documentation Wiki | NFO Documentation Wiki
All my graphics are licensed under GPL. "Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else."
FooBar
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by FooBar »

Purno wrote:Please take in consideration light grey text might be unreadable in SubSilver. :wink:
I did. Since the text was obsolete, there's no point in reading it anyways.

And b), why are you using SubSilver. The TT layout is WAY more cooler!
Zephyris
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Zephyris »

So... With the ongoing arguments on copyright the licence these graphics will be released under has reared its head again. This has been discussed in the thread previously, and IIRC stated the assumption that all graphics posted in this thread may be used even if the author disappears off somewhere, but I cant find it! So lets try again!

To keep the discussion etc. separate from the graphics dev I have created a new thread, please can everyone who contributed (coders and artists) go and vote.
Red*Star
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Red*Star »

Zephyris wrote:To keep the discussion etc. separate ...
Well, since the pattern of opinions concerning the ?ocks problem is still undetermined (reading the posts above: 3:2), is it ok for you if I make a separate poll to get to a final result, Zephyris?
Like sun is to the dark soil,
so is true enlightenment to the soil's friends.

N.F.S. Grundtvig
Zephyris
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Zephyris »

Of course, go for it :D I must say I like your docks though, they are definately much better than mine and make a nice set :)
mld
Engineer
Engineer

Post by mld »

CC BY-SA and CC BY-NC-SA are incompatible with the GPL. A GPL program needs to have the possibility to be sold and modified without crediting the authors. But the derivative works have always to keep the same license.

If parts of OpenTTD are not free software, most Linux and BSD distributions will refuse to distribute it in their repositories. This is a quite big problem.

Using GPL means that only another GPL licenced games can reuse the graphics. Not for example any closed-source freeware games.

If someone wants to make prints of the graphics and distribute them then they have to supply the prints with the GPL licence. But I think this is a very unlikely scenario.
LordAzamath
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by LordAzamath »

a VERY wrong thread. Please follow the LINKS which are posted to AVOID[0] this dicussion here.

[0] -
Zephyris wrote: To keep the discussion etc. separate from the graphics dev I have created a new thread, please can everyone who contributed (coders and artists) go and vote.
And a thread about OpenGFX copyright too. Please don't start this discussion here again if there are two (2!) more threads created in purpose of letting this thread be clean of those things
PS: And I stopped the propaganda to support Dave Worley since he got a nice new red hat now.[/color]
I know I have a BBCode error in my signature but I really cba to fix it.
mld
Engineer
Engineer

Post by mld »

LordAzamath wrote:a VERY wrong thread. Please follow the LINKS which are posted to AVOID[0] this dicussion here.
But the other thread is only for artists...
Ammler
President
President

Post by Ammler »

Hello people

After another heavy multiple test with the GRF behind me, the replacement just is going to be great. I can now play games with newgrfs (no default monorail and maglev) quite nice.

Anyway, I have trouble to join the current #openttdcoop PublicServer with an empty sample.cat, as that file needs also to be replaced, not able to find the issue, yet.

Edit:
Found a small glitch with empty wood waggons:
transDepot.png
transDepot.png (7.84 KiB) Viewed 7976 times
Greets
Ammler
DaleStan
TTDPatch Developer
TTDPatch Developer

Post by DaleStan »

FooBar wrote:And b), why are you using SubSilver
I don't recall that Purno said he was.
To get a good answer, ask a Smart Question. Similarly, if you want a bug fixed, write a Useful Bug Report. No TTDPatch crashlog? Then follow directions.
Projects: NFORenum (download) | PlaneSet (Website) | grfcodec (download) | grfdebug.log parser

Return to “Graphics Development”