European Cargo Set (ECS) - PROJECT LEADER NEEDED!

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

Purno
Tycoon
Tycoon

European Cargo Set (ECS) - PROJECT LEADER NEEDED!

Post by Purno »

I've been thinking about a cargo set with verhicles from all kinds of European Countries, since cargo transport usaly crosses lots of borders. In the Netherlands I see cargo carriages from Germany, Belgium, and lots of cargo where I don't know it's coming from (I once thought I saw something from China :roll: ). So maybe it's an idea to create a cargo set containing cargo carriages from all over Europe. Since the only cargo set there is contains mostly German carriages.

Who likes this idea and who wants to do some work (drawing, coding, research, thinking) on it?

BTW: I've started drawing some things
Attachments
Some cargo carriages
Some cargo carriages
Goederenwagons.png (3.49 KiB) Viewed 20512 times
european_cargo_set_v009.xls
Development Sheet v009
(46 KiB) Downloaded 1344 times
Last edited by Purno on 04 Oct 2005 18:16, edited 18 times in total.
Contributor to the The 2cc Set and Dutch Trainset. Inventor of the Metro concept. Retired Graphics Artist.
Image Image
Download TT | Latest TTDPatch | OpenTTD | OpenTTDCoop | BaNaNaS: OpenTTD content system | 2048² OTTD scenario of the Netherlands
GRF Codec | GRF Crawler | GRF Maker | Usefull graphics & tools sites | NML Documentation Wiki | NFO Documentation Wiki
All my graphics are licensed under GPL. "Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else."
broodje
Director
Director

Post by broodje »

well you don't have to look long for fans :).

I already wanted diferend goods cars for the nsset. So I will suport you :).

Not now though as I will write in the dutchset topic anymoment now....
Saskia
Director
Director

Post by Saskia »

Great Idea! You should create a set only containing cargo wagons from whole europe, and another set with freight locos. So you can choose engines from a country you want :D You could play a game in NL or D or CH with the same international wagons ;)

PS: You may use my universal/freight engines, of course, if you want! Just wait until they are ready :wink:
Purno
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Purno »

Saskia wrote:Great Idea!
Would you like to do some nfo-coding for this set?
Contributor to the The 2cc Set and Dutch Trainset. Inventor of the Metro concept. Retired Graphics Artist.
Image Image
Download TT | Latest TTDPatch | OpenTTD | OpenTTDCoop | BaNaNaS: OpenTTD content system | 2048² OTTD scenario of the Netherlands
GRF Codec | GRF Crawler | GRF Maker | Usefull graphics & tools sites | NML Documentation Wiki | NFO Documentation Wiki
All my graphics are licensed under GPL. "Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else."
Saskia
Director
Director

Post by Saskia »

I'll try :wink:
Purno
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Purno »

Thanks a lot! :bow:
Image Image
Colonel32
President
President

Post by Colonel32 »

Are you planing to overwrite existing cargo carriges (original ugly ones?)
or use new ID's for new wagons?
mauro
Engineer
Engineer

Post by mauro »

Purno, this is a great idea!
I'd love to help you, but time won't permit me right now...

Maybe someone can make a template grf-file for cargo wagons? I think this makes it really easy for artists to test graphics in-game. What's more, editing an nfo-file is not that difficult if you know what values to change... (Even artist can do it ;)) So a documented grf-template would be great!

I'm sure it would encourage me to make a quick drawing, 'cause you will get immediate result (I like that :P)

Wouldn't this make the whole process from drawings 'till ingame graphics a lot easier? And it could decrease the shortage in nfo-files a bit. (There are too many graphics without nfo's right now)

Anyone sharing my vision?
Purno
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Purno »

Colonel32 wrote:Are you planing to overwrite existing cargo carriges (original ugly ones?)
or use new ID's for new wagons?
Ehmm.... Well if I understand correctly, if we use new IDs, the cargo set will not be compatible with other graphics sets (DB-set, NS-set, US-set, etc...) so we need to use existing IDs, but I think we need more IDs. I was planned, for example, to make more than one oil tank carrier. So that's a bit of a problem.

Mauro, yes indeed that would be useful.

Right now we have te following people willing to help:
- me, as a graphics artist
- broodje, as coder
- Saskia, as graphics artist and a bit of a coder
- mauro, as graphics artist

What next??? Making example nfo? Making a list of carriages we want to include? ...?
Last edited by Purno on 24 May 2004 13:40, edited 1 time in total.
Image Image
Saskia
Director
Director

Post by Saskia »

Last night, I've thought about a simple "compiler" that generates NFO code ... I think I'll try to program something like this :wink:
mauro
Engineer
Engineer

Post by mauro »

Purno wrote: - mauro, as graphics artist (and coder???)
I can't code :(
Purno
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Purno »

mauro wrote:
Purno wrote: - mauro, as graphics artist (and coder???)
I can't code :(
It's changed. I thought you could code because I thought you're the only one working on the Belgian Trainset.
Image Image
mauro
Engineer
Engineer

Post by mauro »

For the Belgian Set i just copy-pasted my graphics over the dbset and adjusted the xsize, ysize, xrel and yrel in the nfo. I'm hoping a nice tool for nfo coding will be ready when the graphics of the Belgian set will be (finally) finished. ;)

So Saskia, I'm really really interested in the "compiler" you are planning to make. Good luck!
Last edited by mauro on 24 May 2004 13:47, edited 1 time in total.
Purno
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Purno »

mauro wrote:For the Belgian Set i just copy-pasted my graphics over the dbset and ajusted the xsize, ysize, xrel and yrel in the nfo. I'm hoping a nice tool for nfo coding will be ready when the graphics of the Belgian set will be (finally) finished. ;)
Isn't that in violation with MB's copyrights???
Image Image
krtaylor
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by krtaylor »

You don't need to worry about making this set compatible with the US set or the Japan set. Those will have their own freight cars, and you wouldn't expect European freight cars to show up there anyway. I don't think you can be compatible with the DBXL set either, because he uses all the freightcar IDs, or at least the ones left are odd. Not sure though.
Development Projects Site:
http://www.as-st.com/ttd
Japan, American Transition, Planeset, and Project Generic Stations available there
mauro
Engineer
Engineer

Post by mauro »

I don't think so...

As far as i know, he can't complain as long as the "decompilation" is for private use only. I can do with his grf-files whatever i want on my own computer... Although i don't remember exactly if decompilation is allowed for personal use here in Belgium (I once attended a course in "Law and ICT").

I don't think he has any reason to claim that i have stolen his work...
Purno
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Purno »

But Mauro, can you release the NMBS/SNCB-set without getting troubles with MB???
Image Image
Snorbuckle
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Snorbuckle »

I might be able to draw some stuff. Btw Purno, I added you to MSN so I can ask you noobish graphics questions when they arise. :lol:

I'd feel a lot more confident about doing cargo than engines. :P
Purno
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Purno »

Snorbuckle wrote:I might be able to draw some stuff.
Wow! That would be great!
Snorbuckle wrote:Btw Purno, I added you to MSN so I can ask you noobish graphics questions when they arise. :lol:
I added you too, but you probably already noticed. :mrgreen:
Snorbuckle wrote:I'd feel a lot more confident about doing cargo than engines. :P
You mean cargo is easier? Well that depends on the kind of engine. In the Netherlands we have some engines which are almost a box, so they aren't much work. Some cargo is more difficult to draw like sand or pipes. And cargo cars need more sprites: empty, half-empty, full, loading, not-loading, etc. etc. but it would be fun to have a european cargo set!
Image Image
Snorbuckle
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Snorbuckle »

Are you trying to put me off? <_<

Return to “Graphics Development”