This day...

OpenTTD is a fully open-sourced reimplementation of TTD, written in C++, boasting improved gameplay and many new features.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

This day...

Post by planetmaker »

Guess what day it is? This innocent post from 10 years ago may give you a hint!

It's a day to say thank you to all the players and especially to the many, many contributors we
had and have throughout this time. What was said back 4 years for our going 1.0.0 still
is true, even more true: it was a lot of work of hundreds and thousands of people, coding, drawing,
composing, translating, both directly this game or on third-party projects
like the graphics, sound and music sets or libraries used by this game.

Also a big thank you to OVH who currently generously sponsors our hosting and bandwidths needs.

Last but not least also a big thank you to our mirrors which make it possible to deliver our binaries fast
and reliably to you :)

What is your OpenTTD story? How did you discover it? What is your funniest, scariest, or otherwise
most memorable OpenTTD experience? Tell us (here)!
kamnet

Re: This day...

Post by kamnet »

Wow, this snuck up on me quick! I thought I had it bookmarked.

Thank you to everybody who has contributed to a wonderful game that has allowed me to waste so many of my hours in pure enjoyment!
Transportman
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Transportman »

Congrats on 10 years of development. Great steps have been made, and I'm wondering what will be in the next 10.

I only have been playing like 5 years, but a lot has changed in that time. Full Graphics Replacement (OpenGFX), this year will mark the inclusion of CargoDist in stable, I started on NewGRF development. My play style also changed, when I look at my old saves they really look terrible (Maglevs everywhere, triple tracks because of of the original acceleration model, inefficient use of everything basically), and now I make nice networks (timetables, normal rail).
Coder of the Dutch Trackset | Development support for the Dutch Trainset | Coder of the 2cc TrainsInNML
Redirect Left
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Redirect Left »

I think the best thing of the original post is
orudge wrote:I did write a nice long description here, but IE/the forum/something went and barfed it.
How things have changed ;)

But seriously, congrats on ten years of development, and here's to another ten years!
Now who do I talk to about claiming back all the hours of my life?
Need some good tested AI? - Unofficial AI Tester, list of good stuff & thread is here.
Eddi
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Eddi »

Redirect Left wrote:Now who do I talk to about claiming back all the hours of my life?
Refunds are only possible with the original receit.
Phreeze
Director
Director

Post by Phreeze »

yay for 10year anniversary :mrgreen:

i don't even know when i started playing openTTD ... shame on me, but it was at least 6 years ago.
YNM
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by YNM »

Pretty much a coincidence maybe that last night I was also checking for old OTTD things, remarkably the first releases...

Much thanks to the devs who have expanded OTTD to it's current condition and as a successor to TTO/TTD today :o
YNM = yoursNotMine - Don't get it ?
「ヨーッスノットマイン」もと申します。
Redirect Left
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Redirect Left »

Phreeze wrote: i don't even know when i started playing openTTD ... shame on me, but it was at least 6 years ago.
The first version I remember playing was 0.4. something, not sure how long ago that was though :o
Need some good tested AI? - Unofficial AI Tester, list of good stuff & thread is here.
Brumi
President
President

Post by Brumi »

Whoa, it is still hard to remember that the 90's were not 10 years ago... Now OpenTTD looks old :D

Anyway, I first played the demo version of TTO back in the 90's, something like 1997 or 1998. I remember figuring the game as a child (even without speaking English), it was really exciting :) I really liked the game, and got the full version (still TTO), and I played it quite a lot. I still have some of my old savegames from that time, it's interesting to see what I did with two-way signals only :) I had been building point-to-point routes for quite a long time, learning from the old AI...
Then came our new computer, and I was sad to see that TTO didn't work on it. I could do nothing about it at the time.
Several years later, I found out about DOSBox while looking for TTD, but our computer was not strong enough to run the game under DOSBox sufficiently. But it was good to see one of my old favourites again :) Shortly afterwards I found OpenTTD (through Wikipedia I believe), the latest stable version was 0.5.3 at the time, the 0.6 branch was in beta. I was amazed to see the quality of the game and the new features (multiplayer, for example). I still consider OpenTTD to be the best open source remake of a classic game.
Interestingly, it was OpenTTD that introduced me to the concept of open source, I got interested in it because of OpenTTD. I was lurking for quite a long time on the forums, the NoAI branch was still separate, I remember seeing NoCAB as a new AI, which was already very strong at the time. I liked the idea of testing AIs against each other, and that is the time when I registered on the forums to post some feedback. I got the idea of making a remake of the old AI, and thus the development of SimpleAI started in 2009.
I'm still here on the forums since then, sometimes actively, sometimes inactively. I'm glad that I could contribute at least a little to this wonderful project.
Purno
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Purno »

Good job all. Well done. And keep up the good work! The results have been amazing, and I'm sure the community will keep us amazed for a while. :bow:
Contributor to the The 2cc Set and Dutch Trainset. Inventor of the Metro concept. Retired Graphics Artist.
Image Image
Download TT | Latest TTDPatch | OpenTTD | OpenTTDCoop | BaNaNaS: OpenTTD content system | 2048² OTTD scenario of the Netherlands
GRF Codec | GRF Crawler | GRF Maker | Usefull graphics & tools sites | NML Documentation Wiki | NFO Documentation Wiki
All my graphics are licensed under GPL. "Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else."
Erik1984
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Erik1984 »

Redirect Left wrote:
Phreeze wrote: i don't even know when i started playing openTTD ... shame on me, but it was at least 6 years ago.
The first version I remember playing was 0.4. something, not sure how long ago that was though :o
0.4.something is the first one I actually remember too.

OpenTTD has been awesome and it's on of the few games that I return to frequently.

:bow: THANKS DEVS AND ALL OTHER CONTRIBUTORS, ESPECIALLY THE NEWGRF PEOPLE :bow:
Kevo00
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Kevo00 »

Wow - thanks to all the developers for their hard work over the years.
leifbk
Chairman
Chairman

Post by leifbk »

I'd also like to say thank you for an awesome game. I remember buying the original TTD on a 3½" diskette back in ca. 1995, when I owned a 50 MHz 486 DX. I played it quite a lot but never really got the hang of it. I converted to Linux in 2003 and at some time installed the OTTD ca. 0.9(?) version, when you had to download the graphics separately. Then I all but forgot about the game until a few months ago when I started to really test the possibilities, and have grown really fond of it since then. I'd like to say a big thank you to all developers of the core game, as well as to the NewGRF developers that make great contributions. This is Open source at its best.
bokkie
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by bokkie »

leifbk wrote:(...)at some time installed the OTTD ca. 0.9(?) version (...)
:D

Started with 0.5.3, switched back and forth to the Patch until 0.6.3 I believe after which I played a lot again until... around 1.1 or 1.2 I believe, haven't been playing much since. Little time, much to do...
beeurd
Engineer
Engineer

Post by beeurd »

Whoah, ten years? Where did my life go?
Long time TT addict, long time forum lurker.
Oh, and I run a Star Wars fan site.
Eddi
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Eddi »

actually, there was no 0.9 version :)
TinyMusic
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by TinyMusic »

Is Ludde still around? :wink:
Formerly known as UseYourIllusion.
Java Scenario Found Here - Version 2 out
[tweɪ̂ pû tɕʰì wɔ̀ mǐlɤ lû tɕʰìŋ nì pɑ́ŋmɑ̌ŋ]
bokkie
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by bokkie »

GunChleoc
Engineer
Engineer

Post by GunChleoc »

Well, happy birthday! :D

I found the game when I was looking for simulation games to localize. I don't get to play that much apart from test playing, but it is fun though.

And it's the best non-gettext localization experiene ever :lol:
Telk
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Telk »

I have been and will so glad to translate this nice game into my language.
I never knew that Transport Tycoon could be played in korean, but WOW I did it by chance!

OpenTTD is one of the best game that I've met.
Happy birthday to OTTD, and thanks for all devs and translators :bow:
- OpenTTD/OpenRCT2/Parkitect Korean Translator
- TELKLAND site manager, the korean website of OpenRCT2/OpenTTD (https://telk.kr)

Return to “General OpenTTD”