[Base Music] OpenMSX v0.3.1

OpenTTD is a fully open-sourced reimplementation of TTD, written in C++, boasting improved gameplay and many new features.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

Trolley Trev
Engineer
Engineer

Re: OTTD Music Replacement Project

Post by Trolley Trev »

planetmaker wrote:Ok Thanks for the update. It will be included in the upcoming nightly build.
Cheers mate :)
mimm
Engineer
Engineer

Post by mimm »

Thought I'd give this a go! :)

Cheers
Attachments
BusySchedule.mid
(27.87 KiB) Downloaded 1674 times
TheFastRoute.mid
(32.01 KiB) Downloaded 1672 times
Zephyris
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Zephyris »

Great! A couple of comments:
The first half of BusySchedule is a bit monotonous, it could use some brass stabs in the backing and/or the occasional bit of harmony in the melody. Maybe also consider a drums/bass only quiet section at some point, i find the continual melody slightly boring.

Similaly TheFastRoute has little overall variation, it uses the same chords with the same instrumentation right the way through. Something to break this up a bit would be good, but given the more complex chord structure no big changes would be needed to keep interest all the way through.

Overall this is really good work, and wellcome!
planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by planetmaker »

mimm wrote:Thought I'd give this a go! :)
A good start I say. But I have to agree with Zephyris that sometimes a bit of variety might improve these songs.

I've added them to the set in the assumption that you agree to the license terms (GPL v2 and CCSP 1.0).
planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by planetmaker »

kamnet wrote:
zagabar wrote:What do you think of these songs?

http://pallkars.net/~uploader/uploads/f%e4rdit.zip
Are these your original compositions?
I can also only ask this question. In any case: what's their license, who's the artist?
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

mimm wrote:Thought I'd give this a go! :) Cheers
I agree, The Fast Route is kinda monotonous, but I like where it's heading. I really do like Busy Schedule, I think it would be fine without the tweaks. Great job on the contributions!
zagabar
Engineer
Engineer

Post by zagabar »

kamnet wrote:

Are these your original compositions? I'll list a few of them that I like.

Midnight Snow Run - I like the first half of it, nice and slow, very calm.
Coconut Run 2 - simple, fun sounding and not too long. Definitely like.
Deep Down Chemistry - very industrial-ish, but not to my liking
Run For Your Life - There's a guitar riff in here that sounds really familiar. Maybe too familiar. Otherwise okay.
Harp Harmony 'n Humor - starts off too slow, picks up quite well, but then there's a part about the 60 second mark that sounds like an old cassette player dragging the tape. Maybe from the 20-60 second mark I really like that.
Linn's Basket of Treats - I like it really well between 1:20 and 2:00

Overall this collection has a strong modern/industrialist feel to it. I think it would fit in well with any game running trains from the 1980s on up. It's not my cup of tea, but then again some people don't appreciate my Scott Joplin Anthology :lol:
It is my friend who is the composer of the songs. He is fine with having the songs in the game. ^^ If you need him here for licensing stuff or something, I could get him here. If you would like these songs that is.
planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by planetmaker »

It'd be ok, if he maybe just could e-mail me (see my profile, otherwise post here) the songs which he'd like to see in the game along with a license statement which licenses the songs under GPL v2 AND CCPS 1.0.
mimm
Engineer
Engineer

Post by mimm »

Thanks for the kind words and criticism. :) I agree that they may be lacking somewhat in variation, I'll see if I can find the time to work something out.

(And to confirm, I agree the license terms)
planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by planetmaker »

Nice. Then you could check out the nightly which will be produced at ~18:20h CET - it will incorporate them.
imuh3
Engineer
Engineer

Post by imuh3 »

I'm new to this forum but not to this game, so I hope i am in the right spot. I want to know if this is a good start for some composing; i'm skilled in composing, but low on ideas. If you have a good idea, please tell me.
Attachments
Train filled with cash.mid
(6.24 KiB) Downloaded 1501 times
IMUH3! Cheeseton Transport on multi player games.
jammydodger
Engineer
Engineer

Post by jammydodger »

May I make a suggestion?
Personally, the OTTD songs are pretty funky and 'cool' to me. The OTTD theme tune is like the heart of all songs in the game. How about one version of the project with the new theme, and one with the old one? The theme is something I really wouldn't change if I had the choice.

Also, I have included a totally new start on a totally new song. I sent this to another TTD user, a good friend of mine, and he quite liked it.
Thoughts, all?

Cheers, James
Attachments
WIP`1.mid
(3.91 KiB) Downloaded 1485 times
Eddi
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Eddi »

jammydodger wrote:The theme is something I really wouldn't change if I had the choice.
that's unfortunately not possible, because the original songs cannot be distributed to people who don't have the original game, which is the whole reason this project was started.
planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by planetmaker »

Luckily I grabed them before the link expired :-) I listend to them and it is good stuff. My personal favorite is the 'Harp harmony' followed by either "Linn's basket" or "Dark wandering castle", I cannot decide. I picked 10 songs from the collection and added them as the 'modern' theme to the set. Sometimes (Coconut run, Ulitmate run) I wish for a bit more variation on the song's theme as they sound a bit repititive.
jammydodger wrote:Also, I have included a totally new start on a totally new song. I sent this to another TTD user, a good friend of mine, and he quite liked it.
That sounds like a very good start. Personally I think that the tune itself could be a bit more emphasized as the beat is quite dominant; maybe it can be extended also a bit with a variation of the theme.
imuh3 wrote:I'm new to this forum but not to this game, so I hope i am in the right spot. I want to know if this is a good start for some composing; i'm skilled in composing, but low on ideas. If you have a good idea, please tell me.
Very nice song in my opinion. It ends very abrupt though, thus it leaves me wondering whether it is only the first half of a longer song?

As Eddi pointed out: we need to create something new as we cannot re-use the proprietary music for copyright reasons.
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

Eddi wrote:
jammydodger wrote:The theme is something I really wouldn't change if I had the choice.
that's unfortunately not possible, because the original songs cannot be distributed to people who don't have the original game, which is the whole reason this project was started.
Personally, I would like to have -lucas-'s original composition used as the opening theme as a tribute. I know he has no more time to work on it, but I think the current submission is more than adequate as it is.
imuh3
Engineer
Engineer

Post by imuh3 »

Sorry, here's the finished version made with noteworthy composer. Thanks guys.
Attachments
Train filled with cash.mid
(7.7 KiB) Downloaded 1421 times
IMUH3! Cheeseton Transport on multi player games.
planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by planetmaker »

Due to the amount of added songs I released the current version as 0.2.0 of this set and made it also available on bananas.
kamnet wrote:Personally, I would like to have -lucas-'s original composition used as the opening theme as a tribute. I know he has no more time to work on it, but I think the current submission is more than adequate as it is.
Well, why not. Are you fine fine with it, -lucas-?
imuh3 wrote:Sorry, here's the finished version made with noteworthy composer. Thanks guys.
Thanks for the update, I'll include it happily :-)
StopRightThere
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by StopRightThere »

Oh no! A teenager spends 30 minutes at the helm of Anvil! It's obviously really rubbish, more to come, one day.
Attachments
openttd music 1.mid
bleh.
(659 Bytes) Downloaded 1413 times
Bye Bye OpenBVE :(
Official TT-Hot young ginger Doctor Who assistant FanClub
Formerly known as AdditionalData
Born Acorn
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Born Acorn »

kamnet wrote:
Eddi wrote:
Personally, I would like to have -lucas-'s original composition used as the opening theme as a tribute. I know he has no more time to work on it, but I think the current submission is more than adequate as it is.
Damn right, that was awesome!
montan1
Engineer
Engineer

Post by montan1 »

imuh3 wrote:Sorry, here's the finished version made with noteworthy composer. Thanks guys.
You could definately use this in a song, but maybe add a new part in the middle with different chords and cut down on the repetetive loop in the background.

And I miss the bassdrum :?

It has potensial

Return to “General OpenTTD”