Genius Suggestion for this Forum

Voice your opinions, concerns and suggestions on how to make the Transport Tycoon Forums better.

Moderator: General Forums Moderators

Acela Wolf
Engineer
Engineer

Genius Suggestion for this Forum

Post by Acela Wolf »

I can't believe anyone else hasn't thought of this: Play music from Transport Tycoon & Locomotion!!!! Don't tell me this is a bad Idea, because it isn't! It would make this place a lot more lively, and who doesn't love that music?
Signatures are overrated.
Purno
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: Genius Suggestion for this Forum

Post by Purno »

Websites that make sounds are terrible. Why don't you run a media player in the background?
Contributor to the The 2cc Set and Dutch Trainset. Inventor of the Metro concept. Retired Graphics Artist.
Image Image
Download TT | Latest TTDPatch | OpenTTD | OpenTTDCoop | BaNaNaS: OpenTTD content system | 2048² OTTD scenario of the Netherlands
GRF Codec | GRF Crawler | GRF Maker | Usefull graphics & tools sites | NML Documentation Wiki | NFO Documentation Wiki
All my graphics are licensed under GPL. "Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else."
Redirect Left
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Redirect Left »

It would be nice to have like a little music box, with a selection of music from OpenTTD (as I think the original TT(D) ones will still be copyrighted), but thats more adding a seperate section, as i dont think anyone here would want the game music playing all the time here.
Need some good tested AI? - Unofficial AI Tester, list of good stuff & thread is here.
orudge
Administrator
Administrator

Post by orudge »

Feel free to go to www.transporttycoon.net/music and listen to it in another tab. It won't be auto playing here!
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

Well, as the other have stated, auto-playing sound on websites is generally not acceptable.

Plus, the music from Transport Tycoon, Transport Tycoon Deluxe, and Locomotion are all copyrighted works, and none of which are licensed to tt-forums for broadcasting. And, even if they were, we'd have to likely pay hundreds of dollars a week to do so. Now, we COULD use the music from either OpenMSX or Scott Joplin Anthology, since those are free to license and distribute, but, again, playing sounds on a website is generally not acceptable.
YNM
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by YNM »

I hate everything that plays sound / sound effect / vibrating the air around in audible frequency on my computer/phone/electronic device without my knowledge, including apps, programs, website, and ads. I'd be really hating it if tt-forums is one of them.
YNM = yoursNotMine - Don't get it ?
「ヨーッスノットマイン」もと申します。
Katve
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Katve »

I agree with others above. No sound from any website that isn't for watching videos or listening to something.
jonty-comp
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by jonty-comp »

I think this is truly a genius suggestion. I love those Tumblogs that play Fall Out Boy of Björk at me when I load the page. :mrgreen:
GunChleoc
Engineer
Engineer

Post by GunChleoc »

I would like to add my voice to the naysayers. Automatic playing of music in websites always feels as if someone was taking over my computer and blocks me from listening to whatever I am listening to at the time.
orudge
Administrator
Administrator

Post by orudge »

I can assure you that under no circumstances will the forum gain background music.
YNM
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by YNM »

... Maybe for special occasions like when TT-Meet is being held ? :mrgreen:
YNM = yoursNotMine - Don't get it ?
「ヨーッスノットマイン」もと申します。
Nawdic
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Nawdic »

Why? It just eats up bandwidth, and to be really honest, background music on a webpage was so '90s.
Very much a retired regular poster..... If you can say that :mrgreen:
Redirect Left
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Redirect Left »

orudge wrote:I can assure you that under no circumstances will the forum gain background music.
:bow: <-- The only reply suitable currently
Need some good tested AI? - Unofficial AI Tester, list of good stuff & thread is here.
Illegal_Alien
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Illegal_Alien »

Well, I think its an awesome idea!
:: Looking for the Locomotion section? Scroll down on the forum index or click here. :: See all releases in Locomotion section? Clicky here! :: Click here for the best tool ever! :: .datCrawler try it! ::
Following roadmap for releases: Whats a roadmap?
Releases of LocoTrains can be found by checking the posts of: LocoTrains - Goold old AMI Trains member of the first hour.
I have Private Messaging disabled, because of the stupid questions i get in my PM box.
Want to talk to me? Get on the #tycoon and #locomotion channel on OFTC thingy. :: Evolution of men: Loosing more braincells, everytime you post...
Lemike
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Lemike »

47 407 wrote:Why? It just eats up bandwidth, and to be really honest, background music on a webpage was so '90s.
Argument one, bandwith, I totally agree.

Argument two, "it's so '90s". I recently read the "UI design style" part in the wiki, it states that the UI should look '90s like. Give more functionality for the right mouse button and I'll surely oppose the idea of having background music on the webpage.

Ok I oppose it anyways because it's nothing but annoying.
Greyfox
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by Greyfox »

I suppose there could be an option to turn it off by way of a button to click on. But I also don't think it necessary to have TT music playing in the background. As most of us know, it can get a little tedious at times.
Windows 10 discussion here: http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=72527
Looking for AMI trains, Chicago Locomotive Works, etc: You'll find your needs here: http://www.locomotiondepot.net/
Here's another: http://www.walter1940.de Lots of interesting stuff on this site, including tutorials.
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by planetmaker »

Greyfox wrote:I suppose there could be an option to turn it off by way of a button to click on. But I also don't think it necessary to have TT music playing in the background. As most of us know, it can get a little tedious at times.
No, no. If I have to turn it off, it's already wrong; personally I consider websites which play sounds without explicitly asked to do so 'not safe for work'. And the easiest turn-off button is the 'close tab' button.
orudge
Administrator
Administrator

Post by orudge »

As I said before, if you want to listen to the TT music:
orudge wrote:Feel free to go to http://www.transporttycoon.net/music and listen to it in another tab. It won't be auto playing here!
JamieLei
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by JamieLei »

jonty-comp wrote:I think this is truly a genius suggestion. I love those Tumblogs that play Fall Out Boy of Björk at me when I load the page. :mrgreen:
Link me to those tumblrs!
Any opinions expressed are purely mine and not that of any employer, past or present.
Greyfox
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by Greyfox »

I think Owen has already made his point, as shown above. Might be an idea to close this topic.
Windows 10 discussion here: http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=72527
Looking for AMI trains, Chicago Locomotive Works, etc: You'll find your needs here: http://www.locomotiondepot.net/
Here's another: http://www.walter1940.de Lots of interesting stuff on this site, including tutorials.

Return to “Forum Suggestions and Feedback”