NRT: technical purpose of road/tram underlays and overlays in NML

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

Auge
Director
Director

NRT: technical purpose of road/tram underlays and overlays in NML

Post by Auge »

Hello

What is the "default" purpose of underlay and overlay sprites for road and tram types? In my set I use the underlay for the road sprites (without pavements) and the overlay in example for road markings. I used the freely available code of other NRT sets as a guide but I think, I oversimplified it.

After inspecting the example in the NML-repository I am absolutely confused because the example with yellow, green, red and blue road types does not clarify anything for me. All road type sprites (underlay and overlays) looks (beside the different colours) the same, all sprites covers the same areas.

What is the purpose of the underlay if it is completely covered by the overlay?

I would like to be able to provide sprite replacements for the roads with pavements. This for roads, that should get pavements in the inner city areas but also for roads, that shouldn't get pavements at all. On the other side I would like to prevent the need to draw own grass sprites as pavement replacements because this would make the set stylistic depending on a base set. Is there a simple solution with the underlay-overlay-system? As far as I know it is (at least in NML) not possible to replace one base set sprite with another base set sprite (i.e. road with pavement sprite with a grass sprite).

Thanks in advance and tschö, Auge
Andrew350
Chairman
Chairman

Re: NRT: technical purpose of road/tram underlays and overlays in NML

Post by Andrew350 »

The example in the NML repo is not meant to be very sensible graphics-wise, it is just showing a (very) basic implementation code-wise.

The difference in purpose for underlay and overlay sprites is very obvious for tramtypes where the underlay is used for the ballast, which is drawn only for grade-separated tramways, while the overlay sprites are the rails which get drawn everywhere.

For roadtypes this distinction is less clear since both underlay and overlay sprites are always drawn (if provided), so it basically just comes down to your own preference in how you want to structure your set. Some people (like myself) don't use overlay sprites at all for roadtypes and instead just bake all the details into the underlay sprite. This works well enough if all of your different roadtypes are visually unique. For other cases however where you want to have one road texture, but several variations of lane markings or sidewalks or other details, then it may make more sense to use overlays for those things to reduce duplication of sprites. But it is really up to you, both ways will work (mostly) fine in any case :)

As for changing the base sprite for city roads, I don't think there is a better way to do it than replacing them with your own terrain sprites, as annoying as that is. It used to be that all roads kept the base road sprite underneath them like that, then at some point it was changed for the rural roads to draw grass underneath instead, but for some reason that change was not applied to the city roads as well. Not sure if there was a good reason for that or not, but perhaps that's something to look into to ask about changing :)
Auge
Director
Director

Post by Auge »

Hello
Andrew350 wrote: 20 Jul 2023 02:35 The difference in purpose for underlay and overlay sprites is very obvious for tramtypes where the underlay is used for the ballast, which is drawn only for grade-separated tramways, while the overlay sprites are the rails which get drawn everywhere.
This is also, how I interpreted it. Haven't implemented the tram track types into my set until now but that makes me moving straight forward instead trying it out again and again. Thanks for your clarification.
Andrew350 wrote: 20 Jul 2023 02:35 For roadtypes this distinction is less clear since both underlay and overlay sprites are always drawn (if provided), so it basically just comes down to your own preference in how you want to structure your set. […] For other cases however where you want to have one road texture, but several variations of lane markings or sidewalks or other details, then it may make more sense to use overlays for those things to reduce duplication of sprites. But it is really up to you, both ways will work (mostly) fine in any case :)
I implemented the lane markings as overlays. So it is o.k. to do it that way.
Andrew350 wrote: 20 Jul 2023 02:35 As for changing the base sprite for city roads, I don't think there is a better way to do it than replacing them with your own terrain sprites, as annoying as that is.
What a pity. To make this looking proper one needs to provide the OpenGFX grass tiles and to adapt self drawn nearly original looking grass sprites at least. Not to even think about further base sets. O.k., it's currently as it is.
Andrew350 wrote: 20 Jul 2023 02:35 It used to be that all roads kept the base road sprite underneath them like that, then at some point it was changed for the rural roads to draw grass underneath instead, but for some reason that change was not applied to the city roads as well. Not sure if there was a good reason for that or not, but perhaps that's something to look into to ask about changing :)
At least with a loaded NRT-set it would be nice to not loading the default road-with-pavement underlays and to leave it to the set author to provide proper sprites and code (maybe with switching to the default sprites).

Thank you very much for your advice.

Tschö, Auge
Andrew350
Chairman
Chairman

Post by Andrew350 »

Auge wrote: 20 Jul 2023 11:00 At least with a loaded NRT-set it would be nice to not loading the default road-with-pavement underlays and to leave it to the set author to provide proper sprites and code (maybe with switching to the default sprites).
I was seriously considering opening a bug report to change this behavior (since it is wrong, as far as I'm concerned), unfortunately pretty much every roadtype set in existence relies on replacing the base city road sprites (1313-1331) with their own sprites in order to work, which means changing it now to the correct behavior (using terrain sprites instead) would almost certainly break just about every roadtype NewGRF, so it is unlikely to ever be an accepted change* :(

*Unless somehow every NRT author could be convinced to adapt to it...
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

Andrew350 wrote: 22 Jul 2023 03:57 *Unless somehow every NRT author could be convinced to adapt to it...
If this is truly the proper way to do it, then it should be done. Any author who doesn't update either isn't developing for OpenTTD anymore or doesn't care and their stuff should be left behind and considered obsolete. And if their project is open source, then it can be forked by somebody who cares enough to change. it.
Quast65
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Quast65 »

Would this open a door to custom tunnels per roadtype?
Projects: http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=57266
Screenshots: http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?f=47&t=56959
Scenario of The Netherlands: viewtopic.php?f=60&t=87604

Winner of the following screenshot competitions:
sep 2012, jan 2013, apr 2013, aug 2013, mar 2014, mar 2016, oct 2020
All my work is released under GPL-license (either V2 or V3), if not clearly stated otherwise.
Andrew350
Chairman
Chairman

Post by Andrew350 »

kamnet wrote: 22 Jul 2023 11:16 If this is truly the proper way to do it, then it should be done. Any author who doesn't update either isn't developing for OpenTTD anymore or doesn't care and their stuff should be left behind and considered obsolete.
Well, that's just my opinion on it, that doesn't necessarily mean anyone else agrees with me :mrgreen: It is a bit of a double-edged sword in that it does make sense to be consistent with rural roads and force roadsets to also provide the sidewalk as part of the roadtypes themselves (rather than relying on the base sprites underneath), but the current way of simply replacing the base road sprites is much easier and simpler, as it effectively means only having to use a single "replace" block to change sidewalks for all roadtypes at once. And to be clear, I take advantage of this shortcut myself, so I would be just as affected as everyone else by such a change ;)

Either way it probably needs some discussion with other roadset authors before just going for it and breaking everyone's stuff unexpectedly :P
Quast65 wrote: 22 Jul 2023 11:27 Would this open a door to custom tunnels per roadtype?
No, that would be a separate feature, ButGroundTypes
Emperor Jake
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Emperor Jake »

Andrew350 wrote: 22 Jul 2023 15:12 No, that would be a separate feature, ButGroundTypes
I think ButGroundTypes is overly complex and unlikely to ever be implemented. The reason for roadtypes not having their own tunnel portals is because they would clash when it can't be decided when the road or tram tunnel graphic should be used, since both can share the same space.

Fortunately, there are other possible solutions, like the implementation of tunnel types akin to bridge types, which is being worked on here: https://github.com/Brickblock1/OpenTTD
Andrew350 wrote: 22 Jul 2023 03:57 I was seriously considering opening a bug report to change this behavior (since it is wrong, as far as I'm concerned), unfortunately pretty much every roadtype set in existence relies on replacing the base city road sprites (1313-1331) with their own sprites in order to work, which means changing it now to the correct behavior (using terrain sprites instead) would almost certainly break just about every roadtype NewGRF, so it is unlikely to ever be an accepted change* :(
I would support this change as well, I've started coding a roadtype set myself and for now I replaced the default road sprites with ISR-style ground in order to give the player better control of where sidewalks should and shouldn't be. It would be great if there was a better solution to this.
Quast65
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Quast65 »

Emperor Jake wrote: 23 Jul 2023 06:25 Fortunately, there are other possible solutions, like the implementation of tunnel types akin to bridge types, which is being worked on here: https://github.com/Brickblock1/OpenTTD
That would be awesome!
Projects: http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=57266
Screenshots: http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?f=47&t=56959
Scenario of The Netherlands: viewtopic.php?f=60&t=87604

Winner of the following screenshot competitions:
sep 2012, jan 2013, apr 2013, aug 2013, mar 2014, mar 2016, oct 2020
All my work is released under GPL-license (either V2 or V3), if not clearly stated otherwise.
Andrew350
Chairman
Chairman

Post by Andrew350 »

Auge wrote: 19 Jul 2023 20:48 ping
Hey, so just to update you I've gone ahead and posted an issue to GitHub requesting the change. Hopefully I made the point clearly :) Assuming the devs agree and make the change I'll try to contact as many NRT authors as I can to inform them of it in order to make preparations and/or air their grievances about it. If anyone has anything to add whether you agree/disagree make sure to mention it on the ticket :)

https://github.com/OpenTTD/OpenTTD/issues/11154
Auge
Director
Director

Post by Auge »

Hello
Andrew350 wrote: 27 Jul 2023 04:19 Hey, so just to update you I've gone ahead and posted an issue to GitHub requesting the change.

https://github.com/OpenTTD/OpenTTD/issues/11154
Thank you for your effort. I wrote a comment in the meantime and explained my intention.

Tschö, Auge

Return to “Graphics Development”