[OTTD] Quast65's Screenshots

Screenshots of your games! All Transport Tycoon games acceptable (including TTDPatch and OpenTTD).
Pilot
General Forums Moderator
General Forums Moderator

Re: [OTTD] Quast65's Screenshots

Post by Pilot »

Could you make curved rail pieces to connect the two sets of track?
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

I would HIGHLY suggest that you work with those other artists to clear up the copyright issues. You could be churning out a lot of good things that everybody could benefit from.
Purno
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Purno »

kamnet wrote:I would HIGHLY suggest that you work with those other artists to clear up the copyright issues. You could be churning out a lot of good things that everybody could benefit from.
Some of these artists are known to have very strict copyright licenses on purpose. I don't think you can expect Quast65 to deal with those artists. Though I agree it's a shame he's the only one who can enjoy his coding work, but I blame that on those specific artists, not the coder.
Contributor to the The 2cc Set and Dutch Trainset. Inventor of the Metro concept. Retired Graphics Artist.
Image Image
Download TT | Latest TTDPatch | OpenTTD | OpenTTDCoop | BaNaNaS: OpenTTD content system | 2048² OTTD scenario of the Netherlands
GRF Codec | GRF Crawler | GRF Maker | Usefull graphics & tools sites | NML Documentation Wiki | NFO Documentation Wiki
All my graphics are licensed under GPL. "Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else."
PikkaBird
Graphics Moderator
Graphics Moderator

Post by PikkaBird »

Purno wrote:Some of these artists are known to have very strict copyright licenses on purpose. I don't think you can expect Quast65 to deal with those artists.
Then maybe he should stop nicking their stuff. :roll:
Purno
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Purno »

PikkaBird wrote:
Purno wrote:Some of these artists are known to have very strict copyright licenses on purpose. I don't think you can expect Quast65 to deal with those artists.
Nicking stuff for personal use is allowed, isn't it? :roll:
Contributor to the The 2cc Set and Dutch Trainset. Inventor of the Metro concept. Retired Graphics Artist.
Image Image
Download TT | Latest TTDPatch | OpenTTD | OpenTTDCoop | BaNaNaS: OpenTTD content system | 2048² OTTD scenario of the Netherlands
GRF Codec | GRF Crawler | GRF Maker | Usefull graphics & tools sites | NML Documentation Wiki | NFO Documentation Wiki
All my graphics are licensed under GPL. "Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else."
PikkaBird
Graphics Moderator
Graphics Moderator

Post by PikkaBird »

Purno wrote:
PikkaBird wrote:
Nicking stuff for personal use is allowed, isn't it? :roll:
In general, or in this specific case? In general, of course it isn't. In this specific case, I have no idea, it's up to the owners of the graphics, but if Quast65 doesn't want to "deal with" them then he shouldn't be posting these screenshots.
Purno
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Purno »

The discussion of "dealing with" the artists only started after people wished Quast65 would release the GRFs.
Image Image
Supercheese
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Supercheese »

In a quote from http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?f=68&t=55814
planetmaker wrote:Fair use: What may I do?
Use which cannot be forbidden are uses which are covered by the fair use doctrine in US law and which has equivalents in other legislations:
copies (...), for purposes such as criticism, comment, news reporting, teaching (including multiple copies for classroom use), scholarship, or research, is not an infringement of copyright.
For the purpose of our community this means
  • You may copy the work for your own use on your own machines.
  • You may post screenshots of the (unmodified) work.
  • You may for your private enjoyment alone do with the work what you like, including any modification
This also means, unless explicitly allowed by the license you may NOT
  • Give the work (software, NewGRF,...) to other people
  • Neither give modified versions of the work to other people by any means (forum posting, links, e-mail, etc).
  • Make available parts of the work to others (source code, de-compiled nfo, sprites,...)
A border case are screenshots of games with NewGRFs which feature modified versions of them.

For everything else you need explicit permission by the author.
So posting screenshots like in this thread seems ok, but distributing those NewGRFs that use, say, SAC's buildings would definitely not fly.
Eyecandy Road Vehicles | Fake Subways | Supercheese's NewObjects

"Fashions and cultures change, but steam trains shall always be majestic."
-Professor Hershel Layton
andythenorth
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by andythenorth »

The case in copyright law is one aspect. Another aspect is that this sort of thing (posting screenshots of modified, unreleased / unreleasable) work tends to cause forum trouble, and might be better avoided. :wink:

EDIT: added a smilie.
Last edited by andythenorth on 15 Mar 2012 15:46, edited 1 time in total.
kotssmurf
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by kotssmurf »

All the commotion aside, it looks great! :-)
ColdIce
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by ColdIce »

IMO, SAC's screenshots is for us something similar to eat food in front of starving child in Somalia. Quast65 found a bag of rice :) good for him
The rest is confetti!
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

Keep in mind, not ALL of the work we're seeing is SAC's. While she may be unwilling to release her work to others, that may not be true for other artists.

Neither does Quast65 have to release these NewGRFs with the art he's shown. He can use OTHER art, he can also draw his own.
andythenorth
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by andythenorth »

Quast65 wrote:So I have to rely on things other people created and that brings up copyright issues.
You certainly can (and should) release stuff under GPL if it's based on work that is already available under GPL :)
Quast65
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Quast65 »

Wow! Didn't expect that I would stir up such a debate ;-)

Still I think I'm not doing any harm in showing my screenshots and will continue doing that.

And to be honest I started learning to draw and coding because there were a lot of graphics that I regarded as beautiful, that were not released as GRF's. I used to be a user, now I am able to make my gameplay (and maybe other peoples games through my releases: http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php? ... s+projects ) a bit more interesting.

Seeing screens like those from SAC inspired (or maybe forced is the better term) me to make my own stuff and I hope mine will do that to someone else too.
Projects: http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=57266
Screenshots: http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?f=47&t=56959
Scenario of The Netherlands: viewtopic.php?f=60&t=87604

Winner of the following screenshot competitions:
sep 2012, jan 2013, apr 2013, aug 2013, mar 2014, mar 2016, oct 2020
All my work is released under GPL-license (either V2 or V3), if not clearly stated otherwise.
Quast65
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Quast65 »

A321Pilot wrote:Could you make curved rail pieces to connect the two sets of track?
Good idea! And I think it looks good. I've redrawn the Dock and used only graphics from the IndustrialStationsRenewal GRF, which is released under GNU general public license (correct me if I'm wrong). Which means I'm working on a GRF that will be available to the whole community.

It will enable you to build docks that look like this:
Attachments
newdock01.png
newdock01.png (125.8 KiB) Viewed 3984 times
newdock02.png
newdock02.png (122.15 KiB) Viewed 3984 times

All my work is released under GPL-license (either V2 or V3), if not clearly stated otherwise.
Pilot
General Forums Moderator
General Forums Moderator

Post by Pilot »

Looks good, what about Junction pieces?
Leanden
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Leanden »

This does have the problem that if u want to use the docks for passenger ships, you're going to have a stonking piece of rail in the way, where as previously you could still use the docks for passenger terminals.
Quast65
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Quast65 »

Looks good, what about Junction pieces?
I dont think that big dockcranes use junctions in real life, but I'll see what I can do. In game they won't use them either because they would be objecttiles, so pure eyecandy.
EDIT: something like this?
newdock03.png
newdock03.png (26.8 KiB) Viewed 3944 times
This does have the problem that if u want to use the docks for passenger ships, you're going to have a stonking piece of rail in the way, where as previously you could still use the docks for passenger terminals.
True, It's one of the limitations of the game that you can't build seperate docks for passengers or cargo (like roadvehicles). I would have liked to have them separate, but it's not possible. I always use cranes in my harbours, so I dont have a problem with that piece of rail.

Edd.Dragon
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Edd.Dragon »

I dont think that big dockcranes use junctions in real life
As well as strong curved paths ;)
EDIT: something like this?
I think, that only this may usable:
Quast65
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Quast65 »

Yeah, I agree

See pic below, strong curves wont really work I think and the bendy one doesn't look right. So the cross is the only option, so no switching of railtracks. Or has anybody got a better idea? (lol, should really make another thread in graphics development) EDIT: further discussion about the dock here please: http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=58884
Attachments
newdock04.png
newdock04.png (33.92 KiB) Viewed 3933 times

Return to “Screenshots”