Got an idea for OpenTTD? Post it here!

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

Transporter
Engineer
Engineer

Full details

Post by Transporter »

Hi,

I like the street lights and the additional trees when game is set on "full details" but I do not concur with the fences along the railroad lines as they are not common in my country.
I suggest to switch them on and off separately.

Transporter
planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Re: Full details

Post by planetmaker »

You could use a NewGRF like SwedishRails which offers to optionally remove the fences :-)

From an interface point of view the CC-coloured fences are used to indicate the company which a track tile belongs to.
Transporter
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Transporter »

Well, but I never used fences even when I played online multiplayer games. I looked about with the help of the colour of the stations tags and the vehicles. The same in single player games with opponents.
Probably it is not a very difficult thing to implement a seperate button to manage the fences independent of the full details. But the result would be a more realistic appearence of the scenario if the player wishes.

First I'll try the swedish rails as a kludge.
Transporter
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Transporter »

PS:

I have tested the swedish rails. The 'no fences' option seems not to affect monorail and maglev lines.

I'd prefer to switch off the fences permanently, generally and independent of newgrf sets but keeping the rest of the 'full details'.
Eddi
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Eddi »

you could try this:
http://grfcrawler.tt-forums.net/details ... ils&id=269

i have not tested it, but if it only uses visual sprite replacements, you could put it in [newgrf-static] section of openttd.cfg, then it should work for all NewGRFs and railtypes, unless they add their own fences.
Transporter
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Transporter »

Thanks!

Seems to work well as long as there is no implementation in OpenTTD, even when it is added to existing savegames.
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

OpenTTD has changed since NoFence was released, it no longer works. However, Szappy did release it into the public domain, so somebody could fix it. However, it will only work as a replacement for the default OpenTTD rails. It won't work when using another NewGRF rail set.
Transporter
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Transporter »

@ kamnet

That's not true. I've tested it with newest OpenTTD 1.3.3-RC1 and different newgrf rail sets, and it works without exception with the tested ones.
planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by planetmaker »

Transporter wrote:@ kamnet

That's not true. I've tested it with newest OpenTTD 1.3.3-RC1 and different newgrf rail sets, and it works without exception with the tested ones.
That works as long as the rail NewGRF does not provide its own fences.
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

Transporter wrote:That's not true. I've tested it with newest OpenTTD 1.3.3-RC1 and different newgrf rail sets, and it works without exception with the tested ones.
Interesting, because I also just tested it with 1.3.3-RC1 and it built fences with the default rails. I also tested it with 1.3.2 and several past versions. This NewGRF stopped working with OpenTTD 1.2.0, and last worked with OpenTTD 1.1.5. How are you able to get it to work in these latest versions?
Eddi
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Eddi »

you two are probably thinking of different sets, as the one i linked says it's by Bernhard, not Szappy.
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

If you load it from Bernhard's site, the title is "No fences Public Domain Grf conversion by Szappy", with the same GRFID of 5A61756E, but a different MD5sum.
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by 3298 »

It's possible to split the "full details" display option into two without breaking anything, one for the rail fences and one for the road decoration. The downside: You will need to compile OpenTTD yourself. There are guides on the wiki for that, it just takes some time.
If you feel comfortable with that, try the patch I threw together in the last few minutes. (I messed with these display options before in the context of another patch, so I knew where to modify stuff.)
What the patch does: It adds an option between "full animation" and "full details", which controls the rail fence visibility; "full details" will control the road decoration only. If you want the text to be displayed in your language, add a line to your language's file in the directory src/lang/ before compiling, otherwise the game will show the English text. The line should look like the one the patch adds to english.txt (open the patch file with a text editor and search for the first +, the remaining contents of that line is added to english.txt), just with a different text after the colon.

The patch will work with all NewGRFs, even if those add their own fences.
Attachments
railfences.diff
Just for you: a small patch splitting the rail fences display option from the full details one.
(4.54 KiB) Downloaded 116 times
Transporter
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Transporter »

Regrettably I'm absolutely not familiar with programming and compiling...
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

There are very detailed instructions for learning how to patch and compile OpenTTD yourself. It is tedious and borning, but if you can read and follow instructions, you can do it. And once you set it up, it never changes. http://wiki.openttd.org/Category:Compiling_OpenTTD
DC-1
Engineer
Engineer

Post by DC-1 »

Whoo, I'm thinking about including this minipatch in next version of my patchpack to infect one more player with YACD! :twisted: (Then take on the world.)

Return to “OpenTTD Suggestions”