FS-Maglev Track

Find and discuss all the latest NewGRF releases for TTDPatch and OpenTTD here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

Froix
Engineer
Engineer

FS-Maglev Track

Post by Froix »

fsmagt.png
fsmagt.png (383.47 KiB) Viewed 16438 times
FS-Maglev Track
-A graphic replacement set for maglev tracks. Just tracks, no changes to tunnels, depots, bridges, etc...
-Available in TTD Original and OpenGFX sprites.
-2 shades of tracks to choose from - light/dark

Incorporated in one of Ben Kings' marvelous looking tunnels from his BK Enhanced Tunnel Set. I specially like how it makes adjacent tunnels look like just one huge tunnel with dividers. You can turn it off via parameters of course.

License - GNU GPL v2

~Edit

First update to the newgrf - Found a few problematic sprites and updated all level crossings sprites. Now up in bananas
fs-magt.tar
(778.5 KiB) Downloaded 495 times
Also, here's the full source files for anyone interested. I suggest looking into NML for coding though. I failed to run it on my PC years ago so I just used what I already have from previous newgrfs.

~Edit
switched to railtype
railtype_source.tar
(124.5 KiB) Downloaded 267 times
Last edited by Froix on 28 Sep 2016 15:16, edited 2 times in total.
Kalen
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Re: FS-Maglev Track

Post by Kalen »

Looking great! Really cool that you provided both the light and dark palettes, thank you for that. :)

Unfortunately, it looks like this track is breaking compatibility with your Monkey Bar bridge, or at least that seems to be what's happening to me.

If I load your bridges after the tracks, I get the right bridge sprites, but the tracks on them revert to the installed baseset (minus the bridge-heads), and if I load it before, I get the right track sprites, but half the bridge reverts to the baseset chosen in your GRF's parameters, and the other half shows the Monkey Bar sprites (this is both with my usual NewGRF list and with just your two GRFs).

I always get the same kind of glitches, albeit only with the two OTTD tubulars, when I use TBRS, too. Not sure if that's any good of a clue here.
Alberth
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by Alberth »

Great tracks, much more clear than the original maglev.

Can I get the source somewhere?
I'd like to try what happens if you add more paint to the tracks :)
Being a retired OpenTTD developer does not mean I know what I am doing.
Froix
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Froix »

Kalen wrote:Unfortunately, it looks like this track is breaking compatibility with your Monkey Bar bridge
Aye, Either my bridge newgrf need update to support my maglev newgrf or the other way around. I updated my Monkey Bar Bridge bridge. Download update via content download to get the fix.
Alberth wrote:Great tracks, much more clear than the original maglev.

Can I get the source somewhere?
I'd like to try what happens if you add more paint to the tracks :)
Thanks! Full source now available from my original post.
Kalen
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Kalen »

Froix wrote:I updated my Monkey Bar Bridge bridge.
Thank you so much for the fix, it's displaying nicely now! :) The auto-detect isn't detecting the light shade on my end, though, but manual works great.

EDIT: Something else I've noticed - the level crossing sprites for Tropical desert and grass appear to be switched. Not urgent by any means, though. On Arctic they are displaying snow correctly.
Froix
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Froix »

Aye, I can detect other newgrfs in the game but not the parameters set in them, at least I don't think I can.
Alberth
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by Alberth »

There is an NFO call for that, but no idea whether NML supports it too.

https://newgrf-specs.tt-wiki.net/wiki/R ... Parameters
Froix
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Froix »

Alberth wrote:There is an NFO call for that, but no idea whether NML supports it too.
I guess I never really looked into it. Fortunately, I can only do NFO and not NML. Another update up. It should be able to detect the maglev shade now.
Alberth
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by Alberth »

Also, here's the full source files for anyone interested. I suggest looking into NML for coding though.
I had a look at the sprites, and wondered why you are replacing baseset sprites?
Wouldn't an action 1 that just replaces the track be much simpler? (I am an NFO noob, so maybe I am speaking nonsense, but it seems much easier.)

Not to mention that you cannot publish original sprites under the GPL3 license, because they don't have a license that allows it, nor did you draw them.
Ie if you build on work by others, you must make sure you have permission from them to use their sprites, either by agreement, or by license, where the latter is much preferred.

As for NML coding, yep, looks way simpler: https://newgrf-specs.tt-wiki.net/wiki/NML:Railtypes
Code is at the bottom, and that looks for a complete track type, though not sure how much you must specify.
Froix
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Froix »

Using railtype is indeed much simpler, I've already used it once before. I initially intended to have it available for both OpenTTD and TTDPatch. In any case I've switched the newgrf to railtype.

I'm not really familiar with GPL licenses and such. I was under the impression giving your work a GPL license allows anyone to build on it and publish it without need of permission so long as you provide the full source of your work and give proper credit.
luxtram
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by luxtram »

Froix wrote:I'm not really familiar with GPL licenses and such. I was under the impression giving your work a GPL license allows anyone to build on it and publish it without need of permission so long as you provide the full source of your work and give proper credit.
You also have to licence your derivative work under GPL. And thats pretty much it in general terms (IANAL).

You do not have to ask special permissions from partial authors of the combined GPL licensed work.

Also you can not combine GPL work with parts that are in violation of GPL (see also https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/License_compatibility ) as release it as single new derivative work.

Special point: there is GPLv2 and GPLv3, I do not know the exact differences.
California City Sets viewtopic.php?t=76786
1000 building set viewtopic.php?t=75250
Alberth
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by Alberth »

Froix wrote:I was under the impression giving your work a GPL license allows anyone to build on it and publish it without need of permission so long as you provide the full source of your work and give proper credit.
That holds only for your publication.

The sources that you use have their own license, and you have to obey them too if you use them. Depending on what license they have, that means different things. It may mean there is no problem, or you are limited in your choice of license (ie any GPL licensed set demands you also use GPL for derived work). It may even happen that you find it's impossible to fulfill all requirements at the same time, in which case you can't actually publish your work.

Eg if I would publish new track graphics based on your work, I would have to follow the license of your work. That license says I must use GPL license as well for my publication. If I don't want to use the GPL license for my publication, I can't use your work, and must make my own tracks from scratch instead. At that point I am the full author, and can use any license I like.
luxtram
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by luxtram »

Alberth wrote:
Froix wrote:I was under the impression giving your work a GPL license allows anyone to build on it and publish it without need of permission so long as you provide the full source of your work and give proper credit.
That holds only for your publication.
I had impression that Froix was talking about extending an already existing GPL licensed work.

Anyway, did there exists a problem to begin with and is solved now? I see that Froix has combined own work and work from BK Tunnels, that has been licensed under GPL, so should be ok?
Alberth
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by Alberth »

luxtram wrote:I had impression that Froix was talking about extending an already existing GPL licensed work.
Original sprites definitely do not have a GPL license, and they were at least initially included. I haven't yet checked the update to a proper railtype. That gets rid of the need to have the floor sprites in the grf, which should solve the license issue, but also
tiley_glithy.png
tiley_glithy.png (180.07 KiB) Viewed 2470 times
(I use OpenGFX without grid, and the grf version I use, uses gridded tiles)

The tracks are a lot better than the usual maglev, where the directions with rail are hardly visible at junctions.

luxtram wrote:Anyway, did there exists a problem to begin with and is solved now? I see that Froix has combined own work and work from BK Tunnels, that has been licensed under GPL, so should be ok?
I didn't know about BK tunnels, but yeah, other parts seem fine.
luxtram
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by luxtram »

Alberth wrote:Original sprites definitely do not have a GPL license.
By this you mean the very original sprites and not the OpenGFX ones?
Alberth
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by Alberth »

luxtram wrote:
Alberth wrote:Original sprites definitely do not have a GPL license.
By this you mean the very original sprites and not the OpenGFX ones?
Yes, "original sprites" refers to the graphics that are part of the Transport Tycoon Deluxe game.
SimYouLater
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by SimYouLater »

Can I have some information to solve a problem?

I was trying to use FS-Maglev track along with a lot of other NewGRFs (JGR's Patchpack to increase limit) and my maglev and monorail have been combined, which is reasonable because I never use monorail anyway, but I'm getting the Maglev/Monorail graphics for your Shanghai Maglev Inspired trackset instead of FS-Maglev.

Here's the weird part: I only started getting them when I tried to switch from dark track to light track. As you can see from the image below, I do not have SMITS active. Trying to shift back to dark track has not removed them. Removing FS-Maglev from my NewGRF list and starting a new game has not removed them. I've tried removing various other NewGRFs and I still end up with the SMITS track.

So my question is, have you allowed any other NewGRF makers to include the SMITS rail graphics? Maybe I can use the process of elimination to determine which NewGRF is displaying the graphics?
Attachments
Adams & Co., 2946-01-04.png
(94.64 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Licenses for my work...
You automatically have my permission to re-license graphics or code by me if needed for use in any project that is not GPL v2, on the condition that if you release any derivatives of my graphics they're automatically considered as ALSO GPL v2 (code may remain unreleased, but please do provide it) and carry this provision in GPL v2 uses.
Please ask someone in-the-know to be sure that the graphics are done by me. Especially TTD-Scale, long story.
Ben_K
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Ben_K »

Well, I just happened to be passing through after quite some time absent (Ahhhh, Real Life™ and all it's hassle... :roll: )
Froix wrote:Incorporated in one of Ben Kings' marvelous looking tunnels from his BK Enhanced Tunnel Set. I specially like how it makes adjacent tunnels look like just one huge tunnel with dividers. You can turn it off via parameters of course.
Cheers Froix, I'm glad you like them. Yeah, the single tunnel effect was part of why I wanted to create them (That and the enhanced tunnel effect, which I guess still isn't an OTTD feature).

As for the GPL stuff, feel free to use them as you have, giving credit is fine. I made them for the community and hence they have the GPL licence.

Return to “Graphics Releases”