I like the original TTycoon balance much more, need advice.

OpenTTD is a fully open-sourced reimplementation of TTD, written in C++, boasting improved gameplay and many new features.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

Sander
Engineer
Engineer

I like the original TTycoon balance much more, need advice.

Post by Sander »

In my experience
Open TTD has a very different gameplay balance in comparison to the Original Game.
Everything in Open TTD seems to be scaled on a much lager mapsize. Every vehicle is so much cheaper, you can expand very fast, too fast in my opinion.

Cities are large even at the beginning that you can place your now very lowpriced and much more effektive airplaines on 3-5 Cities and get lots of cash in no time.
While in the Original game those Cities where so small that airplanes were very ineffektive.Those airplaines where even much pricier and less effektive in itself.

It was a much more strategic gameplay. You must plan the city growth set places for later airports.
Road vehicles had real early game value. It felt more challenging and rewarding.

Is there a way to set those vehicle prices and starting town sizes back to Original values ?
I realy like Open TTDs improvements, but I can not get myself into its new playstile.
How do you set yourself a fun and challenging game ?

Thanks
Roslav
Engineer
Engineer

Re: I like the original TTycoon balance much more, need advi

Post by Roslav »

There is Base Costs NewGRF, which can help you change base costs (obviously). Then you can try search forums for houses NewGRF, which limits population.
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

Considering that OpenTTD is an exact replica to the original TTD game, including all the vehicles and stats and the gameplay, I think you're misremembering the difficulty. Since nobody here can know what "fun" or "challenging" means to you, all any of us can do is take guesses.

Have you gone into the Advanced Settings and looked at all the options available? You may need to change the display to "Expert" to see them all. If you think cities start out too large, you can tweak that. You can set the map size you wish, how many cities are placed (either a rough number or a precise number), how many towns are able to grow into cities, and industry density.

if that's not enough, you can look at NewGRFs for further tweaks. If you like the original vehicles but want more control, then try OpenGFX+ Road Vehicles, which lets you adjust the prices on the default vehicles. There are other vehicle sets which provide more or less capacity, and either fixed higher costs or adjustable costs. OpenGFX+ Trains also replaces default trains with the same ability to adjust prices, and other NewGRF sets introduce more expensive, adjustable or complex trains as well (NARS and UKRS come to mind). Airports are too cheap now? OpenGFX+ Airports introduces a few tweaks as well. If the airplanes are too easy and cheap, You have WAS, AV8 or AV9, and Planeset to choose from.

OpenTTD, much like TTD, lets you play your games however you want them. If the defaults are no longer a challenge, then look at Game Scripts which can introduce new goals and challenges. Also check out the wide range of AIs that are now available. The AIs can no longer cheat, but they can play you in a much more aggressive style.
planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by planetmaker »

The main difficulty setting, and at the same time the most under-estimated difficulty setting is the map size. Play on a 256^2 map and you'll find the game much more difficult than on larger maps. Of course don't use any NewGRFs either. And start in 1950. Kamnet covered already all the rest.
Sander
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Sander »

Thanks

I ask myself why where the prices changed in the first place ?
And are airplanes really more effective ?

What say the developers of Open TTD about this ?
Im really interestet in the purpose of this.
planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by planetmaker »

Sander wrote:Thanks

I ask myself why where the prices changed in the first place ?
And are airplanes really more effective ?

What say the developers of Open TTD about this ?
Im really interestet in the purpose of this.
As kamnet pointed out, your perception is probably skewed. No prices were changed. Nor are airplanes more effectve (when you keep the default settings, especially for plane speed). The vehicles (and houses and industries) are *exactly* the same as in TTD.
Alberth
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by Alberth »

What has changed, is the addition of a lot of features that enable easier building (autorail, build on slopes) and managing (cloning, and grouping) at a larger scale. Also, improvements have been made to mechanisms (different world generator, better path finder, more signals, different acceleration models, etc).

All this make building and playing in OpenTTD a much better experience than in the original TT Deluxe program. Most of these things re enabled by default for that reason. You can however disable them in the settings and in openttd.cfg, and revert to original behavior if you want. Some settings like maximum map size cannot be disabled I think, you would need to refrain from using some values.

However, I don't see much point in doing it. Why refrain from using a large part of OpenTTD?

While for me, fun and challenge means making a good running industrial freight network (without bothering about money at all), if your idea of fun and challenge is making money, unlike the original game, OpenTTD has a lot of tweakings and options to make that as difficult as you want, even if you allow use all the new features.

In other words, don't see OpenTTD as a original game clone. Instead, embrace all features, tweak it to your liking, and you'll probably have a lot more fun.
Being a retired OpenTTD developer does not mean I know what I am doing.
Sander
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Sander »

Oh, i see that i had patched my version of TTD with the fan patch.

Does anybody know if the fan patch changed the vehicle prices and other things like airplane efficiency ?

It feels so different than open ttd.

What are your experiences as open ttd players with the fan patch "TTDPatch 2.0"
FLHerne
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by FLHerne »

Sander wrote:Oh, i see that i had patched my version of TTD with the fan patch.

Does anybody know if the fan patch changed the vehicle prices and other things like airplane efficiency ?

It feels so different than open ttd.

What are your experiences as open ttd players with the fan patch "TTDPatch 2.0"
There's an entire forum section for TTDPatch on here. :wink:
Temporary Permanent signature filling text. Content coming soon delayed indefinitely! Oh, and I have had a screenshot thread.
Linux user (XMonad DWM/KDE, Arch), IRC obsessive and rail enthusiast. No longer building robots; now I ring church bells.
Author of an incredibly boring stickied post about NewGRFs.
Sander
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Sander »

I know, i know : )

but this post is already going.

In the TTDPatch section i would ask what they think about the differences between open TTD and the TTD patch.
And here i ask about the differences between the TTD patch and open TTD also.

Its no difference where i ask this question.
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

So in your original post, were you comparing OpenTTD against TTDPatch, or TTDPatch against original TTD?
Sander
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Sander »

kamnet wrote:So in your original post, were you comparing OpenTTD against TTDPatch, or TTDPatch against original TTD?

I was comparing OpenTTD against TTDPatch.
And i even dont know if the TTDPatch is realy balanced in the way i would like it, it was just my perception after a view rounds.
But i really prefer OpenTTD with all its improvements and personalisation options.
Overall i really really like nearly everything about the game the beautiful pixel art graphics the music the atmosphere the game flow.

But under all its diverse mechaniks is a real lack of economical callange.
With 3 easy steps you can open every game session. first build a few Airpots, so you get lots money.
Then build road vehicles in every city to maximise city growth. And third build up your railroad network.

There are not many diverse decisions to make. If you want to play effektive go this one build.
It would be great if the decision making would be much more dependent on initial situations like you see it in games like Civilization or Starcraft, with its many different play stiles that must adopt to the situation.

IF it at least would be possible to build (with clever planing) an road vehicle network that is as effektive as an Airplane network.
But to me it seems road vehicle are only really usefull for city development. Or am i overlooking something.
it is even absolutely useless to connet cities with roads. Except in role play terms.

To me the gameplay focus is to much on the sandbox aspect.
But it seems that this is the focus of this projekt.
I for myself am very unexperienced in balancing, so i just would have loved if the OpenTTD development would be more on those terms.

Overall its a great game : )

I just hope we see someday a game in the spirit of TTycoon with a really flashed out competitive and diversive balance.
Wahazar
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Wahazar »

Try some non-standard industry newgrfs, game scripts for city growth balance, more challenging basecosts.
Bare openttd points rather for optimising of huge loaded networks than economy itself.
leifbk
Chairman
Chairman

Post by leifbk »

Sander wrote:But to me it seems road vehicle are only really usefull for city development. Or am i overlooking something.
it is even absolutely useless to connet cities with roads. Except in role play terms.
I'm playing OpenTTD with ships and RVs exclusively, and don't bother much with mail and passenger transport. Yet, within a couple of decades, I always make more money than I'm able to spend, even on a 256x256 map.
Baldy's Boss
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Baldy's Boss »

Sander wrote:
kamnet wrote:So in your original post, were you comparing OpenTTD against TTDPatch, or TTDPatch against original TTD?

I was comparing OpenTTD against TTDPatch.
And i even dont know if the TTDPatch is realy balanced in the way i would like it, it was just my perception after a view rounds.
But i really prefer OpenTTD with all its improvements and personalisation options.
Overall i really really like nearly everything about the game the beautiful pixel art graphics the music the atmosphere the game flow.

But under all its diverse mechaniks is a real lack of economical callange.
With 3 easy steps you can open every game session. first build a few Airpots, so you get lots money.
Then build road vehicles in every city to maximise city growth. And third build up your railroad network.

There are not many diverse decisions to make. If you want to play effektive go this one build.
It would be great if the decision making would be much more dependent on initial situations like you see it in games like Civilization or Starcraft, with its many different play stiles that must adopt to the situation.

Overall its a great game : )

I just hope we see someday a game in the spirit of TTycoon with a really flashed out competitive and diversive balance.
I have played Transport Tycoon for DOS(starting in 1930,with the Jinty as the cheap locomotive),and I have played OpenTTD.
I have no experience at all of Transport Tycoon DELUxE or TTDPatch.

I never get it when people refer to those later upgrades as "the original game"...

Return to “General OpenTTD”