Christmas time!

The latest news about the forums and the Transport Tycoon world is posted here.
Please also read the rules here before posting elsewhere in the forum.
Redirect Left
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: Christmas time!

Post by Redirect Left »

skippern wrote:
Ameecher wrote:How do you cope with going outside at the minute?
Dunno with other anti-xmas ppl, but I actually avoid all by staying at work - and have no immediate plans of exposing myself to xmas until I actually have to (they days I have to take off work)
When I did voluntary work, I volunteered to work Christmas Eve & Boxing Day. Purely to avoid it even more. Ended up keeping the shop open myself on Boxing Day.
Ameecher wrote:How do you cope with going outside at the minute?
Huddersfield is actually a neutral place. The council don't use 'Merry Christmas' or anything in its decorations, it's all 'Happy Holidays' and similar. Even more of a bonus, where I live in this little village, no decorations (private or council) anyway.
Need some good tested AI? - Unofficial AI Tester, list of good stuff & thread is here.
orudge
Administrator
Administrator

Post by orudge »

The smilies were always global, and the same is true of the rank images. Changing it so that they are theme-specific would be relatively difficult (basically I'd have to hack about with the phpBB code).

A little bit of Christmas in your life won't hurt you. :)
Dave

Post by Dave »

orudge wrote:A little bit of Christmas in your life won't hurt you. :)
That's the spirit!

Being offended by Santa hats because they represent traditional Christmas is mainly odd. What has Santa got to do with Jesus?

Personally I hate organised religion. But how long has it been since Christmas has meant that!?
Last edited by Dave on 09 Dec 2013 21:45, edited 1 time in total.
Official TT-Dave Fan Club

Dave's Screenshot Thread! - Albion: A fictional Britain
Flickr

Why be a song when you can be a symphony? r is a...
orudge
Administrator
Administrator

Post by orudge »

Plus, if your objection to Christmas is on religious grounds, there's nothing in the way of religious imagery in the TT-Forums Christmas theme - it's really just snow and a few Santa hats! It's really more of a winter theme.
Redirect Left
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Redirect Left »

orudge wrote:It's really just snow and a few Santa hats! It's really more of a winter theme.
Then I claim it on Australian grounds. I have adopted Australian spirit, and its summer here! :p
Dave wrote: Being offended by Santa hats because they represent traditional Christmas is mainly odd. What has Santa got to do with Jesus?
Not entirely sure I ever said I was 'offended' by it, or that Santa (or his hats) were anything to do with Jesus.
Dave wrote: But how long has it been since Christmas has meant that!?
It still does mean that. Just many people choose to celebrate it for no reason other than an attempt to get freebies out of others, without real thought for what the meaning behind it is. I bet a suprising % of people don't truly know what it means to start with.
Need some good tested AI? - Unofficial AI Tester, list of good stuff & thread is here.
Supercheese
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Supercheese »

Dave wrote:Personally I hate organised religion. But how long has it been since Christmas has meant that!?
Well, the word itself, Christmas, does still have Christ in there. :P
Eyecandy Road Vehicles | Fake Subways | Supercheese's NewObjects

"Fashions and cultures change, but steam trains shall always be majestic."
-Professor Hershel Layton
Chris
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Chris »

Just celebrate Christmas for what it really is, a massive f*** pagan feast! It ain't got nothing to do with religion, we just needed a nice holiday in the middle of winter to cheer us up :).
Screenshots

Formerly Class 165
skippern
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by skippern »

Dave wrote:
orudge wrote:A little bit of Christmas in your life won't hurt you. :)
That's the spirit!

Being offended by Santa hats because they represent traditional Christmas is mainly odd. What has Santa got to do with Jesus?

Personally I hate organised religion. But how long has it been since Christmas has meant that!?
What has christmas to do with Jesus? It is a pre-christian pagan festival adopted by the catholic church to secure christianity on newly converts, claiming that it was "the birth of Jesus", even though historical documents (romans documented a lot) and astronomical comparisons with described events surrounding the so called birth of Jesus suggests it rather happened in October, I prefer to use the pagan name for this festival, Jule (which actually also is the Norwegian word Jul)

So basically, claiming a religious point of view, christmas is a festival used to suppress pagan beliefs, and using a non-religious point of view, its just a materialistic event used to force people to buy lots of stuff that eventually will end up in the overgrowing landfills.

I object to christmas for religious reasons just as much as I do for materialistic reasons. Also start talking "a time to see family" bla bla bla. The parts of my family that care about me and that I care about, I don't need a special excuse to see them, for the rest of my family I prefer to have an excuse NOT to see them.

Besides, I don't like christmas music, not because it is christmas music, but because it is generally bad music. A few good christmas songs exists, but I might just as well listen to them in mid july if I am in the mood for it, I don't need a special calendar event to put them on.

So basically, I avoid christmas, just because there is too many reasons to avoid it. Crap is still crap, even with a red santa hat on it.
Skippern
OpenTTD Mac user
WWTBAM

Post by WWTBAM »

Jolteon wrote:
orudge wrote:It's really just snow and a few Santa hats! It's really more of a winter theme.
Then I claim it on Australian grounds. I have adopted Australian spirit, and its summer here! :p
I raised that issue several years ago and got told too much effort. Anyway we do very rarely get snow at the top of our mountains during summer.
Formerly known as r0b0t_b0y2003, robotboy, roboboy and beclawat. The best place to get the most recent nightly builds of TTDPatch is: http://roboboy.users.tt-forums.net/TTDPatch/nightlies/
Supercheese
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Supercheese »

Eyecandy Road Vehicles | Fake Subways | Supercheese's NewObjects

"Fashions and cultures change, but steam trains shall always be majestic."
-Professor Hershel Layton
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

Even most of us Christians know that "Christmas" is mostly a sham. We know Christ was born in the summer or fall, not winter, and that it was a scheme of the Roman Catholic Church to blend into pagan communities because NOBODY was giving up a tradition of honoring Odin and the "old gods" with gifts, partying and drinking, and lets be honest, fuddy-duddy priests wanted an excuse to cut loose, too! The only real relation between Christmas and Christianity would be the character of Santa Claus, which is mostly the old Dutch legend of Sinterklaas, combined with the old English legend of Father Christmas, and given a few of the attributes of the historical Saint Nicholas' charity and humility.
Dave

Post by Dave »

Well if the forums are crap even with a red santa hat on, you know where the door is :wink:

I love Christmas. I don't care what the connotations of it are. The old Valentines Day argument (why do I need a special day to show my family I want to be around them) doesn't take into account people like me who live hundreds of miles from my family and see them twice or three times a year at most.

Loads of food - massive check. As for being materialistic, well I'm very sorry but if you want to avoid a materialistic world you'd better consider how quickly you can get the next spacecraft to take you with it...
Chris wrote:Just celebrate Christmas for what it really is, a massive f*** pagan feast! It ain't got nothing to do with religion, we just needed a nice holiday in the middle of winter to cheer us up :).
There we are. The rest of this thread makes me want to hurt myself with sharp objects.

If you're seriously upset by snow and red hats then the problem is not with the forum imo.
Official TT-Dave Fan Club

Dave's Screenshot Thread! - Albion: A fictional Britain
Flickr

Why be a song when you can be a symphony? r is a...
Purno
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Purno »

Dave wrote:If you're seriously upset by snow and red hats then the problem is not with the forum imo.
Yep. During one of the coldest and darkest months, Christmas cheers me up because of the pretty shiny lights everywhere. I'm not religious neither do I buy lots of presents and eat extra food. One does not need to care about Christmas' background story to be able to enjoy it. The lights everywhere are pretty :mrgreen:

And so is the winter theme. Just because we only see it one month per year makes it special. It cheers me up. I don't really see the problem with the icey background either. As a Windows user I'm used to white backgrounds. But if things are too bright, well, that's possible I guess. :rolleyes:

But if snowy buttons and hatted emoticons don't cheer you up, perhaps clicking the X button of your browser will. You don't *have* to be here if you can't stand the snowy buttons and hatted emoticons. :|

Note: The emoticons were added afterwards, just because they're epic. :bow:
Contributor to the The 2cc Set and Dutch Trainset. Inventor of the Metro concept. Retired Graphics Artist.
Image Image
Download TT | Latest TTDPatch | OpenTTD | OpenTTDCoop | BaNaNaS: OpenTTD content system | 2048² OTTD scenario of the Netherlands
GRF Codec | GRF Crawler | GRF Maker | Usefull graphics & tools sites | NML Documentation Wiki | NFO Documentation Wiki
All my graphics are licensed under GPL. "Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else."
Zakos
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Zakos »

I've got my own problems with Christmas. Mainly just the fact that it comes so early, then the rest of the cold Winter season just sucks.
SquireJames
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by SquireJames »

My only issue with Christmas this year is it will be the first Christmas without my children. If I can make it thought that without complaining Jolteon, I am sure you can survive a santa-hatted smiley ;)
Redirect Left
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Redirect Left »

Owen where are the non-christmas stuff stored? I assume they are still on the server, if you tell me where (assuming they're within html_docs / public_html) I can easily rig up a quick script to rewrite the stuff back to the 'new' image locations locally on my Firefox. Seeing as neither you nor phpBB are willing to do something most forum software does itself, and actually isolate themes from each other...

And I get told to be polite and considerate of others, when the forum leaders aren't overly considerate of others :roll:
orudge
Administrator
Administrator

Post by orudge »

The themes are isolated, it's just the ranks and the smilies which aren't, since they apply to all themes. It's always been the case that the Christmas smilies have been visible on other themes - the ranks are new this year though.

The normal images are in a directory called "smilies.std" and "ranks.std" I think (instead of smilies/ranks), but I may be wrong - can't check on my iPad overly easily right now.

EDIT: Yes, they are in /images/smilies.std and /images/ranks.std, with the same names.
Redirect Left
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Redirect Left »

Excellent, they are in there. Few minutes and a quick regex on GreaseMonkey later. All is fixed!
SquireJames
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by SquireJames »

I thought this might help you feel the Christmas cheer Jolt

"He sees you when you're sleeping
He knows when you're awake
He knows if you've been bad or good
So be good for goodness sake."
JosefSanta.jpg
JosefSanta.jpg (123.22 KiB) Viewed 5759 times