Got an idea for OpenTTD? Post it here!

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

Solarsoul
Engineer
Engineer

Toggle Buttons

Post by Solarsoul »

Hey TTF,

I was wondering why this awesome game still has not implemented toggle buttons.
So if you click a button to open a screen you can close it by another click on the same button.
This would make playing even more enjoyable.

Cheers!
solar
Alberth
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Re: Toggle Buttons

Post by Alberth »

The GUI uses a re-opening event for highlighting the selected window, which is useful for eg finding which depot window (of the 5 you have opened) belongs to which depot.

That sort of blocks your suggestion.
You can however shade/unshade a window as explained in http://wiki.openttd.org/Shade_windows Perhaps that is a useful alternative?
Solarsoul
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Solarsoul »

Hey again,

Thanks for your reply.
I was aiming at the upper toolbar.
Toggle buttons there would save time, instead trying to aim for the very tiny X to close a window.

Cheers :D
planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by planetmaker »

Solarsoul wrote:Hey again,

Thanks for your reply.
Toggle buttons there would save time, instead trying to aim for the very tiny X to close a window.

The upper toolbar usually has drop-down menus (click and keep pressed) additionally to just click which opens default. Thus a toggle functionality would not work there too well either.
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

planetmaker wrote:

Thanks for your reply.

The upper toolbar usually has drop-down menus (click and keep pressed) additionally to just click which opens default. Thus a toggle functionality would not work there too well either.
When you use the multi-menu buttons, though, whatever you select is going to close the previous item and then open the new item. So a toggle on that button wouldn't be in conflict.
Solarsoul
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Solarsoul »

kamnet wrote:
planetmaker wrote:

Thanks for your reply.

When you use the multi-menu buttons, though, whatever you select is going to close the previous item and then open the new item. So a toggle on that button wouldn't be in conflict.
Sounds perfect! So whats the status on this one?
planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by planetmaker »

"suggestion", I guess. Or did someone magically work on it over night?

Nor is it well thought-through: consider the 'map' button:

currently a click will open the mini map.
click + hold will allow to select 'mini map', 'additional view' and 'sign list'.
Now I select the 'sign list'. Currently I can still use the main toolbar button to get the mini map. Your suggestion would modify it such that it would close the sign list. I would need to click+hold+select the mini map in order to gain access. It would cost me loads of time and require much more clicking accuracy.

Similar issues arise with every single button.
Solarsoul
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Solarsoul »

Well, I am not a developer, and dont know how the code is writen. So Im just sugesting, atleast give it a serious thought.

Thanks for the reply! ;)

ps. I mean status as in.. did you seriously consider the posibility. (thats all really)

Return to “OpenTTD Suggestions”