OpenTTD Needs a new name

OpenTTD is a fully open-sourced reimplementation of TTD, written in C++, boasting improved gameplay and many new features.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

doctormo
Engineer
Engineer

OpenTTD Needs a new name

Post by doctormo »

At least in the Ubuntu software center (yes I know, packaging) but hear me out.

When I go looking through the list of awesome games I generally do not think OpenTTD is awesome based on it's name or icon, The name says nothing about what sort of game it is, unlike the original trademark.

Is there any chance of coming up with a published name? It's all openttd under the hood but we have some sort of clueless user translation for advertsing, word of mouth?

I'd be great to see something simple like "Ultra Transport Network!" or "Transport Master!" (anything corny can be vetoed)

Thoughts?
-- DoctorMO --
Zuu
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Re: OpenTTD Needs a new name

Post by Zuu »

Since "TTD" in OpenTTD does not stand for anything, you could append a word after or insert before "OpenTTD". Eg "OpenTTD Transport"

Not sure if I would support a such name though.

Edit: This thread should perhaps be moved to the suggestions forum. IMHO it does not belong to the dev forum.
My OpenTTD contributions (AIs, Game Scripts, patches, OpenTTD Auto Updater, and some sprites)
Junctioneer (a traffic intersection simulator)
Core Xii
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Core Xii »

Zuu wrote:Since "TTD" in OpenTTD does not stand for anything, you could append a word after or insert before "OpenTTD". Eg "OpenTTD Transport"
Uh, what? I was under the impression that TTD stood for Transport Tycoon Deluxe. Hence, Open Transport Tycoon Deluxe.
Rubidium
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by Rubidium »

"Transport Tycoon Deluxe" is a trademarked name, as such the game may not called "Open Transport Tycoon Deluxe" with "OpenTTD" as an abbreviation thereof. So, OpenTTD is not an abbreviation.
Core Xii
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Core Xii »

Oh drop the act. We all know it's an abbreviation. Maybe you can't legally say so but we all know it to be true. :twisted:
Kogut
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Kogut »

It is only similarity. :)
Correct me If I am wrong - PM me if my English is bad
AIAI - AI for OpenTTD
frosch
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by frosch »

I don't get this. What do names of other games tell you about them? FreeCiv, FreeCol, FreeOrion, OpenOrion, OpenArena, WideLands... Does any of these names tell you what they are about? (For the first 4 it likely helps if you know the game they are modeled on)

The name means nothing. You should select packages by searching their descriptions.
'emerge --searchdesc transport' wrote: * games-simulation/openttd
Latest version available: 0.7.5
Latest version installed: [ Not Installed ]
Size of files: 4,776 kB
Homepage: http://www.openttd.org/
Description: OpenTTD is a clone of Transport Tycoon Deluxe
License: GPL-2

* games-simulation/simutrans
Latest version available: 0.102.2
Latest version installed: [ Not Installed ]
Size of files: 8,019 kB
Homepage: http://www.simutrans.com/
Description: A free Transport Tycoon clone
License: Artistic
Edit: Oh, and if you think I am focused on open source games. What do names like "warcraft" [1], "black and white", "the sims" [2] and "halflife" tell you?

[1] It might refer to a RPG or a C&C-like game. You are likely only searching for one type of them.
[2] You are likely not searching for SimCity.
⢇⡸⢸⠢⡇⡇⢎⡁⢎⡱⢸⡱⢸⣭⠀⢸⢜⢸⢸⣀⢸⣀⢸⣭⢸⡱⠀⢰⠭⡆⣫⠰⣉⢸⢸⠀⢰⠭⡆⡯⡆⢹⠁⠀⢐⠰⡁
Core Xii
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Core Xii »

A bit off-topic, but what's an "artistic" licence? :|
planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by planetmaker »

Usually:
Let me explain it by a link to a nice short movie clip: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J4oKXagF3IE at about 3:15
But one could also link simply to the wiki explaining it.

In the case of Simutrans it's the license they chose for their art work, explained in an easily confused wiki article
Freak_NL
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Freak_NL »

The name is fine. The description seen in the Software Centre could use an overhaul:

Current:
A clone of Transport Tycoon Deluxe

Which is okay if you know TTD, but OpenTTD is much more than a clone these days, and many people have never heard of TTD. A better description would be:

Transport simulation game focusing on trains based on Transport Tycoon Deluxe

The description should probably mention the word "trains" to roughly indicate what type of game it is.

doctormo:
Care to submit that as a request for enhancement (bug report) upstream?
Freak_NL
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Freak_NL »

By the way, this is what OpenTTD looks like in the Software Centre if you look at the detailed description.
Screenshot.png
Timmaexx
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Timmaexx »

So log-in to your Launchpad Account and change the Picture and the description text ;)
doctormo
Engineer
Engineer

Post by doctormo »

frosch wrote:I don't get this. What do names of other games tell you about them? FreeCiv, FreeCol, FreeOrion, OpenOrion, OpenArena, WideLands... Does any of these names tell you what they are about? (For the first 4 it likely helps if you know the game they are modeled on)

Edit: Oh, and if you think I am focused on open source games. What do names like "warcraft" [1], "black and white", "the sims" [2] and "halflife" tell you?
The difference is that Warcraft, B&W, The Sims and Halflife are valid trademarks which can be advertised and associations built up. OpenTTD is a project name and a description in the best traditions of dryness.

I was thinking of a name with a bit of flare, even if you called it Simutrans ;-)
-- DoctorMO --
Wasila
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Wasila »

I think the name OpenTTD is fine, but the description should indeed be changed.
wolf
Engineer
Engineer

Post by wolf »

Vaulter
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Vaulter »

Open Transport Tycoon ?
Zuu
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by Zuu »

Transport Tycoon is a trademark, so that doesn't work for the same reason why "Open Transport Tycoon Deluxe" do not work which Rubidium mentioned above.

"Open Transport" could possible work as that is as far as I know not a trade mark. Edit: Apparently I was wrong as it seems like Apple has made a transport protocol or something similar called "Open Transport".
My OpenTTD contributions (AIs, Game Scripts, patches, OpenTTD Auto Updater, and some sprites)
Junctioneer (a traffic intersection simulator)
Vaulter
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Vaulter »

Open Tycoon
XeryusTC
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by XeryusTC »

OpenTTD is a perfectly fine name. There is no need for the title of a game to describe every single aspect of the game. There are plenty of games which don't do that. Splinter Cell, Unreal Tournament, TrackMania, Anno 1404 (or 1404 AD if you prefer), ArmA, Operation Flashpoint are some of them which I've installed on my pc. The first four you only know what they're about because their respective franchises are quite well known.
Don't panic - My YouTube channel - Follow me on twitter (@XeryusTC) - Play Tribes: Ascend - Tired of Dropbox? Try SpiderOak (use this link and we both get 1GB extra space)
OpenTTD: manual #openttdcoop: blog | wiki | public server | NewGRF pack | DevZone
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

Even if you put "Transport Tycoon" into the title name, I don't think it would matter. A google search for "Transport Tycoon" shows that nearly every hit will lead back to OpenTTD or mention OpenTTD on the first page.

Chris Sawyer's website mentions that the original name of the game was going to be "Interactive Transport Simulation" until MicroProse purchased it and tied it into their Railroad Tycoon series.

Return to “General OpenTTD”