The Thread Of Randomness

This is the place to talk about anything not related to Transport Tycoon itself.

Moderator: General Forums Moderators

orudge
Administrator
Administrator

Re: The Thread Of Randomness

Post by orudge »

I was just coming to post that, but you beat me to it! :mrgreen:

I was rather tempted to pick up an Xbox Series X in the recent Black Friday sales, but couldn't quite justify it (currently have an Xbox One S). If the game's not out until 2025 though then no doubt it'll be on sale again next year (or maybe Microsoft will bring out an updated model that still has a physical disc drive... we can but hope).
Chrill

Post by Chrill »

There'll probably be an Xbox Series XL or whatever they will call it, in time for the release. And then I, with my then old Xbox Series X, will see the need to upgrade once more. :mrgreen:
Redirect Left wrote: 05 Dec 2023 09:08 It's certainly interesting, I hope the map is more interesting than V though. I find the V map more of an obstacle course, especially going from south to north, lots of nothing in the middle that does nothing for no one. I fear Rockstar are going even bigger, and I'm not sure they can populate it enough and make it all interesting. I think San Andreas was the most perfect size of a map, and a good ratio of mission critical and things to fill in the middle.
I think V showcased a fantastic city but lacklustre countryside. I think RDR2 did the opposite, really made the wilderness come alive. GTA VI should be the love child of those two. We already see animals looking far better and far more present than they ever did in GTA V. All the development that went into RDR2 can be used here. I have no doubt the city will be great, both IV and V is proof, but I feel confident about the countryside too courtesy of the rootin tootin cowboy shootin simulator from back in 2018.
My Scenarios:
Archipiélago Hermoso (Latest Release: Version 3.2)
Turnpike Falls (Latest Release: Version 0.91)
Redirect Left
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Redirect Left »

I also have an Xbox Series S, however rumors do be swirling of a PS5 Pro, if it happens to materialise before 2025 i shall have to pick it up. I doubt GTA VI will perform the best it can on a Series S, and once us again us PC gamers are getting shafted and left with nothing on release day for consoles.
If i do get a console specificially for GTA, it shall be on ebay the day after I finish, i don't really use them much beyond specific games.
Chrill wrote: 05 Dec 2023 10:06 I think V showcased a fantastic city but lacklustre countryside. I think RDR2 did the opposite, really made the wilderness come alive. GTA VI should be the love child of those two. We already see animals looking far better and far more present than they ever did in GTA V. All the development that went into RDR2 can be used here. I have no doubt the city will be great, both IV and V is proof, but I feel confident about the countryside too courtesy of the rootin tootin cowboy shootin simulator from back in 2018.
I've never played RDR1 or 2, so i've no idea what improvements they did the V engine. V had some animals which were mostly animated pretty basic, but were just a nuisance at best as you were going about your tasks.
I just hope they manage to pad it out right, and its not what amounts to basically wasteland.
Need some good tested AI? - Unofficial AI Tester, list of good stuff & thread is here.
Chrill

Post by Chrill »

Redirect Left wrote: 05 Dec 2023 10:40I've never played RDR1 or 2, so i've no idea what improvements they did the V engine. V had some animals which were mostly animated pretty basic, but were just a nuisance at best as you were going about your tasks.
I just hope they manage to pad it out right, and its not what amounts to basically wasteland.
This is a great example of how RDR2 looks, if you just want to see the world:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VL1CHvsUSNo

Bear in mind this was released in 2018, which will be seven years before GTA VI. It was released for the previous console generation, and we can expect another significant step with for example light effects thanks to the power of the modern Xbox and Playstation consoles.
My Scenarios:
JohnFranklin523
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

SimRail - The Railway Simulator (a Polish game promoted by PKP)

Post by JohnFranklin523 »

I bought SimRail when there was a discount on Steam.

And I tried it last night. Very Fantastic, and much, much better than the Dovetail Train Simulator. It is worth the money.
Dovetail, who provides much more expensive DLCs, forces you to do annual subscriptions (TSW series), and offers you a "just so-so" game experience (compared to SimRail) with crashes, should come to its end soon.

The best train simulator ever. It is still in its early stage with not so many routes, but I am optimistic, since it is somehow a promotion of PKP, not just a fully money-oriented game company.
Leaping Liu Never Dies
跨越不死,曙光永生
The founder of China Set; the operator of JFServer.
My GRFs besides China Set
My Scenarios and Heightmaps
Redirect Left
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: SimRail - The Railway Simulator (a Polish game promoted by PKP)

Post by Redirect Left »

JohnFranklin523 wrote: 06 Dec 2023 07:04 I bought SimRail when there was a discount on Steam.
And I tried it last night. Very Fantastic, and much, much better than the Dovetail Train Simulator. It is worth the money.
Dovetail, who provides much more expensive DLCs, forces you to do annual subscriptions (TSW series), and offers you a "just so-so" game experience (compared to SimRail) with crashes, should come to its end soon.
I've been meaning to try that myself, although i am kinda scared of it turning into a hellscape of DLCs like Train Sim has become, even if it isn't already, i do fear given how long Train Sim have had that 'working' for them, that any other train sim will eventually end up the same.
Given the nature of games these days, it makes me very apprehensive to pick up another game, especially those that can be expanded so easily with DLC in the future, should they decide/realise that :(

Although to be fair, that hasn't stopped me willing plying £ after £ into 'free' games like CS2 (but the nice pretty pixel guns, aaaaa) and Fortnite (but the nice pretty skins, aaa). So who knows how my brain works these days, if it does at all.
Need some good tested AI? - Unofficial AI Tester, list of good stuff & thread is here.
dol422
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by dol422 »

I would recommend Dovetail's TSW Series.

There's actually a lot in there that is good, but unfortunately half of the content is rushed and there are a lot of bugs that have existed for well over a year.

Overall, it's not a bad game, but it could be better.
Take a look at: http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?f=47&t=74993
Why do it tomorrow when you can do it today
Chrill

Post by Chrill »

This year my family got bored of Christmas food, and we're doing Greek for Christmas instead. I've spent all day making Tiropita, Greek feta rolls. I filled some with a mixture of feta cheese and halloumi (and parsley), and some with feta and spinach, and yet some more with feta and halloumi and roasted aubergine.

So excited, I've never worked with Filo before. So who knows if edible. :mrgreen:

Are any of you doing anything different for Christmas?
My Scenarios:
Chrill

Post by Chrill »

I gave ChatGPT the query below:

"You are a text based roleplaying game based on the Fallout game franchise. The story starts in an abandoned vault. You will provide me with 3 options on how to proceed for every round".

I've now played 143 rounds, and the following has happened:

- Encountered a bunch of scavengers, formed a group with them, explored the vault to find some basic resources
- Exited the vault, headed toward a nearby settlement, encountered a lone trader who spoke of an abandoned facility
- Headed to the facility, encountered another group of scavengers who found a machine emitting a strange light
- Attacked the other group, forced them to join my group as slaves, and took the machine in control
- Searched the facility, found that the machine is a teleportation device, teleported to an oasis
- Searched the oasis, found a cave with a backpack full of resources such as a flashlight, water, and a map
- Viewing the map, identified an Advanced Research Facility and teleported there
- Searched the facility, found and repaired a defense drone, a maintenance drone, and a scout drone
- Decided to build a settlement near this facility, names it Fort Mercy, and proclaimed myself as leader of the group
- Took in other applicants, reaching a population of 32
- Encountered another settlement called the Oasis Collective, a network of settlements (population 45) commited to sustainable living. Entered into a defense agreement with them
- Received requests from two other settlements to also join our defense pact; The Nomadic Traders (population varies) and the Haven Enclave (population 28)

With over 100 people viewing me as their leader, I feel like I have "made" it in the wasteland now! :mrgreen: What should I do next, perhaps invade nearby hostiles?
My Scenarios:
Chrill

Post by Chrill »

So it's snowing a lot here. And it's cold.

In Western Sweden, a 30 kilometer (18 miles?) long row of cars is stuck since yesterday afternoon. More than 1000 people were trapped. The military are out with tracked vehicles to retrieve people. As of right now, many cars are still trapped and many people are still in them. Most people have either been able to drive away (they cut the metal fence dividing the two lanes, to allow the cars to turn back) or be evacuated from their cars, abandoning the cars in place.

So far, only one injury is reported (a diabetic who couldn't take their medicine) and they were transported to hospital.

In Stockholm, we're suffering from rougly -12°C (10°F) but at least the trains are still running so I made it to work just fine.

Also, triple post. Am I the only random one left?
My Scenarios:
dol422
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by dol422 »

Chrill wrote: 04 Jan 2024 09:02 So it's snowing a lot here. And it's cold.

In Western Sweden, a 30 kilometer (18 miles?) long row of cars is stuck since yesterday afternoon. More than 1000 people were trapped. The military are out with tracked vehicles to retrieve people. As of right now, many cars are still trapped and many people are still in them. Most people have either been able to drive away (they cut the metal fence dividing the two lanes, to allow the cars to turn back) or be evacuated from their cars, abandoning the cars in place.

So far, only one injury is reported (a diabetic who couldn't take their medicine) and they were transported to hospital.

In Stockholm, we're suffering from rougly -12°C (10°F) but at least the trains are still running so I made it to work just fine.

Also, triple post. Am I the only random one left?
We've not got snow yet (although it's expected to come down heavy in the next few weeks).

Instead we've just had storms. Rain, rain, rain.
Take a look at: http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?f=47&t=74993
Why do it tomorrow when you can do it today
Pilot
General Forums Moderator
General Forums Moderator

Post by Pilot »

dol422 wrote: 04 Jan 2024 10:02 Instead we've just had storms. Rain, rain, rain.
Yes, must admit the miserable weather has finally started getting on my nerves, and I say this as someone from Manchester who is therefore used to crap tons of rain.

Yesterday, flooding caused by the latest storm forced me to travel on different trains, and take a 6 mile diversion each way on the way to/from the office. I also left the office around an hour early due to trains/crews being out of place due to flooding as well.

Since early October, I've had very few trips out that weren't at least partially impacted by weather or some other farce if I'm honest though. Albeit, for the most part, I also seem to have gotten very lucky with them too!
Redirect Left
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Redirect Left »

Yeah, we've had some terrible weather in England lately. I'm glad I live on the edge of the pennine hills, means I'm high up enough that most of this part of West Yorkshire is dead & gone by the time Wakefield goes under. Does mean quite often it picks up moisture at the Merseyside & Manchester side, then dumps it on Wakefield, but hey, we probably do the same to them sometimes, Manchester is quite a wet place.

It's about to go back to rather cold (about 1'C on a night) for my area, so that's fun. I'm just bulking up and wearing a load of shirts, cheaper than the gas bill if I use the central heating!
JohnFranklin523
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by JohnFranklin523 »

Chrill wrote: 21 Dec 2023 16:20 So excited, I've never worked with Filo before. So who knows if edible. :mrgreen:
I checked the image on Wikipedia, it must be crispy. :D
Leaping Liu Never Dies
跨越不死,曙光永生
The founder of China Set; the operator of JFServer.
My GRFs besides China Set
My Scenarios and Heightmaps
Chrill

Post by Chrill »

Well, my friend in Oslo just shared his weather app predicting -21 °C (-6 °F) this weekend. THAT is crisp.
My Scenarios:
Redirect Left
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Redirect Left »

Chrill wrote: 05 Jan 2024 14:26 Well, my friend in Oslo just shared his weather app predicting -21 °C (-6 °F) this weekend. THAT is crisp.
oh wow, the coldest I've experienced is about -12'C and that was torturous, can't imagine going below -20!
Nawdic
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Nawdic »

Hello...

See you in another 11 months!

Bye
Very much a retired regular poster..... If you can say that :mrgreen:
Chrill

Post by Chrill »

Redirect Left wrote: 05 Jan 2024 16:42
Chrill wrote: 05 Jan 2024 14:26 Well, my friend in Oslo just shared his weather app predicting -21 °C (-6 °F) this weekend. THAT is crisp.
oh wow, the coldest I've experienced is about -12'C and that was torturous, can't imagine going below -20!
Honestly, at those temperatures the number itself is irrelevant. Wind or humidity is what gets you. We had -14 C yesterday but it was not at all windy, so it was fine with some warm clothes. A few days ago, we had maybe -5 or -6 but it was really stormy. That was far worse. There's not much differing -12 or -21, other circumstances matter more.
My Scenarios:
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

Just before Christmas I suffered a horrible setback. I was trying to install Ubuntu on Windows Subsystem for Linux on Windows 10, running on my Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600. It wouldn't install because the processor lacks whatever is needed to run Hyper-V. I found a discussion on a Microsoft community page which suggested that there was still a way to install Hyper-V on Windows 10 without support. What I ended up doing, however, was installing Hyper-V Server 2012 on top of Windows 10 Home, completely wiping out my installation.

It took me three days to get Windows 10 back on. I encountered two issues particular to my computer. First, the latest Windows 10 Home install is too large to fit on a standard-size DVD. Second, my motherboard has a bug where it will not boot off of a USB drive formatted in NTFS. I ended up finding a rescue DVD from 2018 that would let me run the installation properly. It's now mostly set back up, and thanks to Google Drive my most important data was saved.

A friend of mine decided that I had worked my old rig enough, and for Christmas I was gifted a new MiniPC running an Intel N100 processor, 16 GB RAM and 512 GB M2 SSD running Windows 11 Pro. Overall I'm pretty happy with it. It only has HDMI for video, thankfully a year ago I ended up with an old Vizio TV that has HDMI on it, and I have an HDMI to DVI video converter to use on my old Dell UltraSharp monitor. Overall it works pretty well.

Unfortunately, after this my Logitech K800 wireless keyboard suffered a fault, the "V" key stopped working. This is a $100 keyboard that just crapped itself two months outside of the warranty period. And Logitech no longer makes this keyboard, replacements are very expensive. The cheapest it appears I can find for a replacement keyboard membrane and mainboard is $40.
Nawdic
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Nawdic »

So... Not exactly 11 months later lol

Someone may want to look at the official TT-Forums Facebook page. Nudey Central lol. I got a notification that it's had two new posts since 2016!
Very much a retired regular poster..... If you can say that :mrgreen:

Return to “Off-Topic”