Mapsize in IntroGUI

Forum for technical discussions regarding development. If you have a general suggestion, problem or comment, please use one of the other forums.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

osai
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Mapsize in IntroGUI

Post by osai »

If have changed the IntroGUI a little bit and included some buttons to change the mapsize directly.
I thought this might be useful, because it is a mainsetting for starting a new game like difficulty and maptype.

If it is a good thing I will post the .diff, but if you guys dont like it, we forget it :P

osai
Attachments
New IntroGUI (including buttons for changing the mapsize)
New IntroGUI (including buttons for changing the mapsize)
new_intro_gui.png (17.75 KiB) Viewed 6983 times
Dextro
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by Dextro »

Very good, I think that's very usefull. Anyone agree?
Uncle Dex Says: Follow the KISS Principle!
Bjarni
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Bjarni »

yeah everybody including the developers. It is very useful. That's why we decided to make a whole new map generation window where you can pick map size, start year and other stuff like that. It will make more sense to have all of those settings joined in one place
Arsenal
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Arsenal »

Sorry, something's not quite right there - maybe the visual "link" between small and temperate is too close, and that there is a gap between the map sizes?

In principle it's fine, the execution is not quite right IMO.
Bjarni
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Bjarni »

Arsenal wrote:Sorry, something's not quite right there - maybe the visual "link" between small and temperate is too close, and that there is a gap between the map sizes?

doesn't matter. The GUI that will be included in the game will not have this problem. And it seems that I clicked "submit" while you were writing rendering your text out of date even before it was written :P
Dextro
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by Dextro »

Bjarni wrote:yeah everybody including the developers. It is very useful. That's why we decided to make a whole new map generation window where you can pick map size, start year and other stuff like that. It will make more sense to have all of those settings joined in one place
Something I allways though OpenTTD was missing, great thinking devs ;)
osai
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by osai »

Arsenal wrote:Sorry, something's not quite right there - maybe the visual "link" between small and temperate is too close, and that there is a gap between the map sizes?

I thought about that too -> to change it is only 2 clicks away. :P
But if there will be a completly new window for the whole mapthing (like Bjarni said), than its not worth to work on and waste time on the current.

But I'll try out the new :)

osai
Darkvater
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Darkvater »

There needs to be a new window with all map-generating items/factors present in one place.

Not only landscape type, but also mapsize, number of industries/towns, water, terrain, snow-height, etc.

The problem is that these things are scattered all over the place, in the intro-window, in the difficulty settings, in _patches. Now these could easily be put together, but then what to do with the difficulty window which has had half its stuff ripped out?

Kinda hard :(
TrueLight: "Did you bother to read any of the replies, or you just pressed 'Reply' and started typing?"
<@[R-Dk]FoRbiDDeN> "HELP, this litte arrow thing keeps following my mouse, and I can't make it go away."
Dundee
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Dundee »

Darkvater wrote:There needs to be a new window with all map-generating items/factors present in one place.

Not only landscape type, but also mapsize, number of industries/towns, water, terrain, snow-height, etc.
I've posted my thoughts on this before (apologies if you've seen it). Ultimately, there are a lot of options. As map 'difficulty' settings (as well as some patch settings) are on a game-by-game basis, it is sort of logical to group them all together in a window that appears after clicking 'new game'. eg. You may want to play some games with lots of intelligent competitors, or you might want to play all alone. I think map genereation as well as other options you would be likely to change on a game-to-game basis really belong on such a screen.
The problem is that these things are scattered all over the place, in the intro-window, in the difficulty settings, in _patches. Now these could easily be put together, but then what to do with the difficulty window which has had half its stuff ripped out?
Running OTTD, it would appear all of the difficulty settings are actually more-or-less game-specific.
Asterix
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Asterix »

hmm, I was thinking about removing the buttons for "difficulty" and "patch options" so there is only one button "game options" left.

And for this "game options" button use the patch options window with additional tabs for "Mapsettings", "Difficulty", "General Options" (Language, resolution, ...)
osai
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by osai »

Dundee wrote:I've posted my thoughts on this before (apologies if you've seen it). Ultimately, there are a lot of options. As map 'difficulty' settings (as well as some patch settings) are on a game-by-game basis, it is sort of logical to group them all together in a window that appears after clicking 'new game'. eg. You may want to play some games with lots of intelligent competitors, or you might want to play all alone. I think map genereation as well as other options you would be likely to change on a game-to-game basis really belong on such a screen.
I ve read the topic and you are right. Some options in the patch window are gamebased, also the difficulty settings are gamebased, ergo we need a "Start a New Game" Window, it makes the handling of starting a new game very easy. But at the moment you have to move through maybe 3 or 4 windows after you have the right settings to start a new game.
I am just working on it, but usebility is a really difficult thing.

I created two new intro gui's, both are cleaned and contain only necessary information.
  • (A) looks more like the old one, but it might be a bit unclear to understand.
  • (B) is a GUI in vertical style and in my opinion good structured and easy to understand.
The Problem of both GUI's: The good-looking graphical style is gone, because the maptype will be changed in New Game Window. It is very monotonous now.
Maybe there could be an oTTD icon included, or the icon of the wiki.
Attachments
two new intro gui ideas
two new intro gui ideas
new_intro_gui_2.png (27.96 KiB) Viewed 6794 times
init
Engineer
Engineer

Post by init »

As a suggestion, why not create "frames" (MS VB term) to group related options while still keeping all "new game"-related options in one window? Or perhaps you already thought of that.
worldofklaus
Engineer
Engineer

Post by worldofklaus »

Why not include a little graphic in every button to break up this monotony? Also, I think a bit more space between those buttons wouldn't hurt - theoretically you've got the whole screen available for the menu.
Dextro
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by Dextro »

Why not replace ths space currently used by the 4 climates to create an OpenTTD Logo? ;)
Born Acorn
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Born Acorn »

Bjarni wrote:yeah everybody including the developers. It is very useful. That's why we decided to make a whole new map generation window where you can pick map size, start year and other stuff like that. It will make more sense to have all of those settings joined in one place
Will this have things like:

Amount of Towns
Amount of Industries
Breakdowns On/off
Starting Loan.
Minimap
NewGRF set

?

Coupled with this it would look a lot better and be easier
Last edited by Born Acorn on 08 May 2005 11:49, edited 2 times in total.
Nanaki13
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Nanaki13 »

Perhaps we could group the options according to what they influence?
+vehicle behavior
+map
+economy

like it's done in the patches window, but do it for all options
Alltaken
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Alltaken »

sorry humans are visual creatures i think graphics are important.

as for map size, a nice "drag your mapsize" window would work well.

one single button type thing. (perhaps a few presets like small medium large gigantic)

the drag your own mapsize might look similar to 11x11 half sized TTD tiles, and you literally drag your square/oblong on it. liek inserting a table in most word or internet applications, you drag x and y at the same time and it generates it.

any thoughts/ suggestions? it would take up more space but it would be a single click, and very very intuitive.

perhaps the town placement rough water/land mass rough hill proportions, and industries could be overlayed as you choose more options... *shrugs*

Alltaken
MeusH
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by MeusH »

I really like AllTaken's idea, since it would be user-friendly, also map sizes would be completly custom: No longer preset square maps.

Also, with new graphics engine buttons would be certainly really nice looking, small icons would fit, too
Nanaki13
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Nanaki13 »

Just like in civilization :)
Great idea.
Alltaken
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Alltaken »

Nanaki13 wrote:Just like in civilization :)
Great idea.
no a lot better ;)

Alltaken

Return to “OpenTTD Development”