New signalling system?

Got problems with Locomotion? Find assistance here!

Moderator: Locomotion Moderators

Thinlizzy
Engineer
Engineer

New signalling system?

Post by Thinlizzy »

Hi guys

I've read about the new signalling system developed for Transport Tycoon. I had TTD but gave up on it when i converted to XP, so i do know about the signalling troubles.

I just wondered if anybody was going to do a similar thing for Locomotion as i definetly think its very needed

Cheers guys
-matt-
Engineer
Engineer

Post by -matt- »

whats wrong with the locomotion signals?

Cheers
Matt (formerly known as 250787)

For videos of uk railways visit http://www.ukrailvideos.uni.cc
For discussing UK railways visit
http://www.ukrailforums.uni.cc
keuvie
Engineer
Engineer

Post by keuvie »

i also would like to see the "advanced" signaling as in ttdpatch!
metalangel
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by metalangel »

I agree. Better to have the 'advanced' signals from TTDPatch than trains setting signals miles ahead and forcing trains that would have otherwise cleared the block to stop, wait, and then turn around! :x
"(Locomotion is) one of the best-playing games of its type." -Chris Sawyer

Northeast Corridor - South Wales & the Southwest
el koeno
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by el koeno »

What is wrong with these signals? They work perfectly IMO.
The Fjonis
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by The Fjonis »

No, they don't. I guess it would be hard to fix, but some things are a nuisance. For example, take a look at this maartena's ro-ro design
Here, the signal system does not allow more than one train to enter the junction leading to the platforms at a time. In real life, they would have been allowed to do so, providing that their paths did not intersect. You have some of the same if you try to make an x-crossover between two paralell one-way tracks - two trains cannot go side by side through such a junction. (Although there are alternative designs for the same thing, it would have been nice to have that option.)

I guess, however, that allowing such things would require a fundamental change of the signal system... It's probably never going to happen... :cry:
Steve
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Steve »

Umm, TTDPatchs signals didn't do that either. Both TTD and Loco play it safe and ensure trains will never crash unless you mess with them, by ensuring that 2 trains are never in the same block.
The only problem with Loco is the weird pathfinding.
ElSancho
Engineer
Engineer

Signals work

Post by ElSancho »

I think the signalling system is very good and the logic behind is quite sophisticated. However, the pathfinding of the locos can not keep up with the signals. Unfortunately, it's buggy. Whenever my network grows more complicated, they get lost.

I hope, there will be an update, because the game really is great besides these oblivious trains....Besides I've found a solution to operate complex networks and keep the trains on their paths. I'll post it in a new thread.
Royal Bavarian
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Royal Bavarian »

Just experienced the signalling absurdity to it's full extent. I have a passenger train opening up 3 consecutive blocks in front of it, halting a goods train and another passenger train, three clicks down the line!

This has got to be a bug.

The Fjonis, if we are talking about the same phenomenon, I'm not sure your image illustrates it very well. Maybe it makes people misinterpret what you are trying to convey.
Steve
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Steve »

Well, why should the goods train get to go and make the passenger train stop? The passenger train wanted to go that way first!
Royal Bavarian
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Royal Bavarian »

Well, why should the goods train get to go and make the passenger train stop? The passenger train wanted to go that way first!
You don't seem to understand. It's a single track railroad interrupted by one-way signalled sidings and two-way signalled stations.
The passenger train opening up the blocks is located on a siding. In front of it it's clear to go out on the line (semaphore open), clear to move into the nearest station (semaphore open) and clear to leave the station (semaphore open). Block after station is another stretch of line. Therefore, this is blocked for a goods train standing at an adjoining branch line and a passenger on a siding following it.

Do you follow or should I post images?
Last edited by Royal Bavarian on 04 Oct 2004 06:00, edited 4 times in total.
Chod
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Chod »

Yes, the signalling is quite annoying. Trains queue up signals for far too long. I've had trains queue an entire line causing massive traffic for no reason. There were several trains at an intersection towards the end of the line that could have easily been through the intersection before this train arrived.

The way the signalling worked in TTDPatch was perfect, first come first served.
Thinlizzy
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Thinlizzy »

I have problems with terminus stations.
If all the platforms are full, the next train sits in the junction section so nothing can get out.
Also where trains clear so many sections ahead, trains sitting in terminus stations waiting to leave, cant, because an incoming train miles away has cleared all the signals right into its platform.
Cheers, Steve
Davie_UCF
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Davie_UCF »

Same prob as thin lizzy.. id like trains to wait for a platform to become available! we could do that in TTD patch i believe!
East of England/East Anglia scenario/map released!! http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?p=205440#205440

Return to “Locomotion Problems, FAQs and Tutorials”