[REL] Northeast Corridor - V2 NOW OUT

Got a nice scenario or saved game for Locomotion? Post it here!

Moderator: Locomotion Moderators

metalangel
Tycoon
Tycoon

[REL] Northeast Corridor - V2 NOW OUT

Post by metalangel »

To celebrate the imminent release of Plastikman's utterly fantastic AMTRAK and North American sets, I'm making a map of the Northeast Corridor between Boston and Washington D.C. so all those lovely electrics will have their proper home to travel at great speed through!

I realize the big problem with the region is the coast is kinda diagonal, so I've tried to take that into account when making the map... so you should be able to build mostly straight tracks.

If anyone can provide some info on what industries to place and where, that'd be helpful. I'm planning two versions - a 1935 version (when NYC to Washington opened to electrification) and 1970-odd version, for the E60s and E44s transitioning into the Acelas and AEM7s.

UPDATE 14/02/2006: Here is the second version of the map. I have raised the sea level by two levels, added a few industries and features. I've also attacked the landscape with the terraforming tool, so it's a lot smoother than it was before, and should be easier to lay tracks on. Thanks for all your comments, and I hope you enjoy the map!

UPDATE 06/02/2006: I have released the first version of the map - it's not perfect but all the cities are present and correct and there are some industries as well to play with. No add-ons needed, but feel free to add your own (and you know the ones I'm thinking of!)

I don't think I'll be able to check my email much before the weekend but please let me know what you think!
Attachments
[img]http://www.tt-forums.net//files/screenshot8_135.jpg[/img]
[img]http://www.tt-forums.net//files/screenshot8_135.jpg[/img]
Screenshot8.jpg (76.68 KiB) Viewed 2710 times
Northeast Corridor 1965.zip
1965 edition of Version 2 map
(286.83 KiB) Downloaded 1318 times
Northeast Corridor 1935 v2.zip
Version 2 of 1935 map
(291.01 KiB) Downloaded 1381 times
Last edited by metalangel on 14 Feb 2006 00:54, edited 2 times in total.
"(Locomotion is) one of the best-playing games of its type." -Chris Sawyer

Northeast Corridor - South Wales & the Southwest
MjD
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by MjD »

Good Luck, look forward to playin it with all the stock plastikman has made :D
::::: WIP -- British Rail Set [BRS] for Locomotion with IA, andel, matloughe, Barry and Jonnie :::::
Researcher for the TTDP BRSet Team. Which is here.
Chrill

Post by Chrill »

yes. this will be something really great!
My Scenarios:
Archipiélago Hermoso (Latest Release: Version 3.2)
Turnpike Falls (Latest Release: Version 0.91)
metalangel
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by metalangel »

All the land is quite high (160ft in most places) which means, in the winter, a lovely realistic blanket of snow covers everything. I'm going to make New York a bit exaggerated (it won't *quite* be to scale with the rest of the terrain) so there'll be a more apparent Manhattan Island.

I'm presently smoothing the landscape down a bit and have just printed off a map of all the cities to make sure they're in the proper place... it should be possible to do the Empire Corridor to Albany on this map as well.

abarten
Engineer
Engineer

Post by abarten »

If anyone can provide some info on what industries to place and where, that'd be helpful. I'm planning two versions - a 1935 version (when NYC to Washington opened to electrification) and 1970-odd version, for the E60s and E44s transitioning into the Acelas and AEM7s.
Well, for starters, New Jersey has oil tanks up near New York City - I guess they're refineries. NJ is also known as the Garden State - lots of truck farms (crops). Pennsylvania has coal mining. Steel is produced in the western part of Pennsylvania. New York and New England have dairy farming. Maine has logging for paper. There's paper making through most of New England.

Al
Publisher/Editor
Virtual Railroader Magazine
http://www.virtualrailroader.com
tydev417
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by tydev417 »

metalangel wrote:All the land is quite high (160ft in most places) which means, in the winter, a lovely realistic blanket of snow covers everything. I'm going to make New York a bit exaggerated (it won't *quite* be to scale with the rest of the terrain) so there'll be a more apparent Manhattan Island.

I'm presently smoothing the landscape down a bit and have just printed off a map of all the cities to make sure they're in the proper place... it should be possible to do the Empire Corridor to Albany on this map as well.
But....the NorthEast Corridor also goes into a tunnel into Queens and then crosses over the Hell Gate Bridge into the Bronx and then makes it's way up to Connecticut and further up.

Since the Bronx can be included as the southern part of Connecticut, will you be creating Queens (all you would need to include is Long Island City, Sunnyside and Astoria)?
Plastikman
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Plastikman »

i was hoping this would be done in time for the pack release. i dont see that it will happen since i am planing on letting out this weekend.
North American sets and then some...
US SET Ver 3.1.0 updated ~ Amtrak Pack 3.1.0 ~ US Passenger/Metro Set 3.1.0 updated~ Auto Factory 2.6 ~ VIA Rail Pack ~ LTD ED1 Conrail Alcos ~ LTD ED2 NJ Transit ~ DBR E60 ~ TGV Duplex ~ Umbrella Corp. ~ Comboios de Portugal~ Dekosoft UP/BN/BNSF Sets ~ ICE // MegaPack = 1.0.3.
My Trains are made from 100% recycled electrons!
NYCTBA
Engineer
Engineer

Re: [WIP] Northeast Corridor

Post by NYCTBA »

metalangel wrote:If anyone can provide some info on what industries to place and where, that'd be helpful. I'm planning two versions - a 1935 version (when NYC to Washington opened to electrification) and 1970-odd version, for the E60s and E44s transitioning into the Acelas and AEM7s.

Here's the map:
in the queens- bklyn boundaries theres a couple of power stations and factories...and some food processing plants
http://www.freewebs.com/thakilla718/index.htm

My projects emails and whatnot
Plastikman
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Plastikman »

I was hoping that you would have this done by the time i released the amtrak pack so i could put it into the pack, oh well we both released same day! get them both!

ok i just played this. WOW it is hilly! i had a B#@4@# laying track.second you migh have wanted to start in 1971. by 1975 you already loose the 2 first generation diesels in the pack. sad but true.

edit again, hey i dont know if it is realistic or not. how out of place would an oil rig or 2 be way out to sea? might as well use that water for something? ooh yeah and place some light houses...
US SET Ver 3.1.0 updated ~ Amtrak Pack 3.1.0 ~ US Passenger/Metro Set 3.1.0 updated~ Auto Factory 2.6 ~ VIA Rail Pack ~ LTD ED1 Conrail Alcos ~ LTD ED2 NJ Transit ~ DBR E60 ~ TGV Duplex ~ Umbrella Corp. ~ Comboios de Portugal~ Dekosoft UP/BN/BNSF Sets ~ ICE // MegaPack = 1.0.3.
LocArny
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by LocArny »

Screen:
Attachments
NEC
NEC
NEC.JPG (155.19 KiB) Viewed 18086 times
metalangel
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by metalangel »

Plastikman wrote:I was hoping that you would have this done by the time i released the amtrak pack so i could put it into the pack, oh well we both released same day! get them both!

ok i just played this. WOW it is hilly! i had a B#@4@# laying track.second you migh have wanted to start in 1971. by 1975 you already loose the 2 first generation diesels in the pack. sad but true.

edit again, hey i dont know if it is realistic or not. how out of place would an oil rig or 2 be way out to sea? might as well use that water for something? ooh yeah and place some light houses...
Yeah, I know it's pretty hilly - it's from a greyscale of a relief map and as anyone who's played Railroad Tycoon 2 knows, a gentle slope in real life becomes an unsurmountable cliff when you shrink it down into a game map! I blurred and smoothed the map a LOT and this is still the result :( the water level could also do with being a bit higher - the Hudson, for example, was a nightmare for me to make and even now it's not perfect.

I'm posting this via GPRS and my iBook, so I can't work on the map until the weekend at least. I'll release a new version once I have some time, so keep making suggestions! I need to:
-smooth the whole thing over - this will be incredibly time consuming as I'd have to make each of the slopes by hand. In fact, unless anyone's really bothered I might even just flatten the rest of the hills and then be happy with it.
-remind the clock a bit to 1965 - that's a very good point you made. I might also adjust the 1930s one - what year does the GG-1 come out? I want it to coincide with that.
-maybe raise the global water level a few levels
-anything else you can think of! Did I miss your favourite town? Do you want me to further enlarge the New York City?

Hope you're all enjoying the map, I look forward to actually trying it properly myself/

MjD
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by MjD »

metalangel wrote:.....-smooth the whole thing over - this will be incredibly time consuming as I'd have to make each of the slopes by hand. In fact, unless anyone's really bothered I might even just flatten the rest of the hills and then be happy with it.....
I may be wrong or have been dreaming, but i think there is a program that gives more realistic hill shapes, it may be released on locomotion-fanpage.net, can anyone back me up??

EDIT: I think this may be it, could a german speaker confirm this plz??
http://www.locomotion-fanpage.net/forum ... eadid=1331
::::: WIP -- British Rail Set [BRS] for Locomotion with IA, andel, matloughe, Barry and Jonnie :::::
Researcher for the TTDP BRSet Team. Which is here.
Seelenquell
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Seelenquell »

confirmed :D

Anwendung:
Ab mit der Datei ins Locomotion ObjData Verzeichnis.
Es wird keine Originaldatei überschrieben.
Szenario Editor öffnen.
Da der Editor jetzt Alternativen anbieten kann, stellt er uns auch gleich freundlicherweise einen Tab-Reiter für Landschaftsformen zur Verfügung. Hier die 'Hügelformen 5' anwählen und schon sehen die Zufallslandschaften nicht mehr aus als wie mit dem Lineal gezogen.

Use:
copy in ObjData-folder, no original-file will be overwritten. open scenario-editor.
theres a new tab for this.. use "hügelformen 5" (dont know what it is in english, sry). now the landscapes dont look like created with a lineal :wink:
i did all models/renderings/textures myself. no conversions.

seelenquell.pytalhost.com has been reactivated from 16/07/28 till 18/05/31.. now it´s deactivated. at least there..
new URL is: http://seelenquell.125mb.com
Plastikman
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Plastikman »

crap i just saw this in english yesterday on this forum. the file and description.
Seelenquell
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Seelenquell »

this one
i did all models/renderings/textures myself. no conversions.

seelenquell.pytalhost.com has been reactivated from 16/07/28 till 18/05/31.. now it´s deactivated. at least there..
new URL is: http://seelenquell.125mb.com
chevyrider
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by chevyrider »

Seelenquell wrote:confirmed :D theres a new tab for this.. use "hügelformen 5" (dont know what it is in english, sry). now the landscapes dont look like created with a lineal :wink:
HS1 or HS5.dat
HS= Hill-shape i think.
I only use HS5, because it also affects depth of the sea.
It seems to give more differentiation in land and sea.
-
-
39 years experience with trains and still driving.
-
-
Train-a-Mania
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Train-a-Mania »

Yes, I have played Railroad Tycoon 2, so I know what you mean.

I look forward to trying it out!
Nick - Creator of the virtual railroading review series:

Return to “Locomotion Scenarios and Saved Games”