Station Problem

Got problems with Locomotion? Find assistance here!

Moderator: Locomotion Moderators

J@Master
Engineer
Engineer

Station Problem

Post by J@Master »

My station has 5 platforms. But my trains only use the inner 3 ones.
Pathfind bug or my mistake?
Attachments
Screenshot3.PNG
(276.9 KiB) Downloaded 338 times
illspirit
Engineer
Engineer

Post by illspirit »

You should try changing the "entry" signals to two-way.
ampz
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by ampz »

Yes, and you only want one switch on the entry side. Otherwise the pre signals will not work properly.
Something like this:

But I don't see the reason for a 5 track roro station... Usually a 3 track roro is capable of handling the traffic of a single railroad.
Attachments
roro5.png
roro5.png (33.63 KiB) Viewed 652 times
J@Master
Engineer
Engineer

Post by J@Master »

That works better. After 10 minutes a train arrived at one of them. But i this was the only one... And with those signals some trains try to 'escape' in the wrong direction... And some trains tried to enter a platform where already a train was. (the other platforms were free. No matter what kind of signal).
I have to use 5 platforms because there are more than 20 trains arriving at this station and some are waiting for food until they are full loaded.
And after all, some trains went a totaly wrong way.
I love this game but I hate it too... :)
I hope for a big update.
Thanks for help.
J@Master
Engineer
Engineer

Post by J@Master »

One more question:
The train can reach every platform (I tested with waypoints). But why does he always want to enter this one?
Attachments
screen.JPG
screen.JPG (98.37 KiB) Viewed 4302 times
Ravenone
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Ravenone »

I have seen the same bug several times also. Its not consistent in how or what type of layout it happens in. Almost seems like the train picks the platform prior to arriving, and if another train beats it there, then it just waits and makes everything backup until the target platform opens up.

What I've done to "solve" this for some of my stations was to still have say 5 platforms, but I dedicate 2 for the food pickup/goods pickup using dedicated lines, and the other 3 are for say passenger only.

Yes, its not as efficient as we could have it, but it keeps things from backing up because one train is waiting for food, but the other with Grain can't drop off to make the food. :(

I hope this gets patched or mod'ed to fix it.
Vimp
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Vimp »

I don't think that constitutes as a bug since I believe it to be designed this way intentionally. You simply have to learn what works and what dosn't and go from there. So far every problem I came across that at first appeared to be random behavior actually had some logic behind it after I figured out why it was doing it.
arsvendg
Engineer
Engineer

Post by arsvendg »

Then what is the reason for this behavior?

I can't see the reason for why a train must choose which lane to go in before it even knows if that lane is available?

It should be able to choose one of the free lanes when the train reaches the station... If my memory is correct this was not a problem at all in TTD where all my trains always went after the first available lane when they reach the station....
Vimp
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Vimp »

It does it that way because Chris made it that way. Why he made it that way I don't know but it seems obvious to me that he made it that way intentionally.
arsvendg
Engineer
Engineer

Post by arsvendg »

I think this should be up for consideration for a fix in a (hopefully) soon to be patch.... there are some things in this game that does need attention...
el koeno
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by el koeno »

I think the wo-way entry signals to the station, should be right next to the platforms, to make them proper functioning pre-signals like in TTD-patch.
Also try to tidy up the entry-junction a bit. It looks kind of messy.

I'm not sure if it matters, because it's hard judging if you can't play with it (I like that about this game, just toying around, trying to solve problems), but it seems Loco can't handle messy junctions.
norfolksouthern37
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by norfolksouthern37 »

answer: inadequate one way pre signalling.

there must be a one way just before the junction not more than a few squares back.
metalangel
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by metalangel »

I love the way that there are six platforms, each with a train in, and yet the AI decides to try and let another train into the station as opposed to let one of the five that are waiting to leave get out first. :roll:
"(Locomotion is) one of the best-playing games of its type." -Chris Sawyer

Northeast Corridor - South Wales & the Southwest
Hyronymus
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Hyronymus »

I stick to 4 platforms per train line at max and I never have problems with my trains entering platforms except for when I forget to place the signals properly or omit a piece of s-track. I'm pretty convinced that you guys forget something durin track laying or, as NS wrote, misapply the signalling system.

Return to “Locomotion Problems, FAQs and Tutorials”