The most challenging GRFs

OpenTTD is a fully open-sourced reimplementation of TTD, written in C++, boasting improved gameplay and many new features.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

krohmalny
Engineer
Engineer

The most challenging GRFs

Post by krohmalny »

Hi.

I have my own server where we play on SPI economy (stockpile + manpower). I'm currently playing around GS Renewed Village Growth and am considering changing to a more challenging economy. Could anyone tell me what is the most challenging and complicated economy available for TTD? I would like an economy that takes into account stockpile and manpower and has as many enterprises and production chains as possible.

Thank you in advance for any help :)
Kind regards
2TallTyler
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Re: The most challenging GRFs

Post by 2TallTyler »

You might check out Industries of the Caribbean. There's a README on the GitHub page that describes how it works as well as my design philosophy behind it.
odisseus
Director
Director

Post by odisseus »

I think ECS is by far the hardest one to master. Sure, you can get cartloads of money easily by processing Oil into Petrol and sending the latter to town houses; if you want a real test of your skill though, try keeping every mine, farm, and factory at the maximum level of production. This requires delivering just the right amount of vehicles (production boosting cargo) in just the right time — and if you overfill the stockpile, you're screwed.

Another economy that's worth an honourable mention is the Wasteland. Its production boosting cargo, Wastelanders, comes from towns — but as you grow your towns, the supply of Wastelanders will shrink rather than grow.
krohmalny
Engineer
Engineer

Post by krohmalny »

odisseus wrote: 28 Apr 2024 20:48 I think ECS is by far the hardest one to master. Sure, you can get cartloads of money easily by processing Oil into Petrol and sending the latter to town houses; if you want a real test of your skill though, try keeping every mine, farm, and factory at the maximum level of production. This requires delivering just the right amount of vehicles (production boosting cargo) in just the right time — and if you overfill the stockpile, you're screwed.

Another economy that's worth an honourable mention is the Wasteland. Its production boosting cargo, Wastelanders, comes from towns — but as you grow your towns, the supply of Wastelanders will shrink rather than grow.
I need to check this ECS :)
krohmalny
Engineer
Engineer

Post by krohmalny »

2TallTyler wrote: 28 Apr 2024 19:06 You might check out Industries of the Caribbean. There's a README on the GitHub page that describes how it works as well as my design philosophy behind it.
Thanks - I will take a look at this too :)
Emperor Jake
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Emperor Jake »

You might want to check out AXIS as well - while it doesn't have manpower and stockpiling mechanics, it's probably the biggest and most complex industry set out there in terms of production chains and cargo types.
krohmalny
Engineer
Engineer

Post by krohmalny »

Emperor Jake wrote: 29 Apr 2024 06:12 You might want to check out AXIS as well - while it doesn't have manpower and stockpiling mechanics, it's probably the biggest and most complex industry set out there in terms of production chains and cargo types.
Someone suggested AXIS to me too. I will check it but this manpower is essential here, I could live without stockpiling though :)

BTW. thank you for the SHARK :)
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

krohmalny wrote: 29 Apr 2024 08:05 Someone suggested AXIS to me too. I will check it but this manpower is essential here, I could live without stockpiling though :)
If you just need an excuse to transport passengers, then you can also add Plaza as Industry and Beach as Industry (also Apartments as Industry, found on the forums here) which let you plop down 1-tile pax/mail industry tiles anywhere and would work fine right next to any other industry.
Gilgames
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Gilgames »

I think YETI is also very challenging and has a "manpower" aspect too.

Return to “General OpenTTD”