Please increase maximum player limit of 15

Got an idea for OpenTTD? Post it here!

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

adras
Engineer
Engineer

Please increase maximum player limit of 15

Post by adras »

I'm just talking with the admins of the r/openttd server. These guys could really need a higher player limit of more than 15. That would allow to increase the time after which an inactive company would need to be deleted, which is currently 4 hours and doesn't allow a company to stay overnight for instance.

Would be great if this could be included in the next patch, hopefully it's only a minor change
Chrill

Re: Please increase maximum player limit of 15

Post by Chrill »

Hi!

The r/openttd server is likely hosted by the people who run the OpenTTD subreddit, as hinted in the name. I'm not sure they're here to read everything, so I'd recommend posting it there:
https://www.reddit.com/r/openttd/
My Scenarios:
Archipiélago Hermoso (Latest Release: Version 3.2)
Turnpike Falls (Latest Release: Version 0.91)
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

Technically, there's no limit on how many players/clients can connect to an OpenTTD server. The limit is going to depend on the ability of the server hardware to keep up with many connections and how much and fast the server's internet connection is.

The hard limit being referenced here is 15 COMPANIES, which is a hard limit imposed by the code most because of the limit on 2CC company colors. Is this necessary or arbitrary, though?

A little over a month ago online gamer The Spiffing Brit hosted an "OpenTTD Battle Royale" competition, using a modified server which allowed for 64 simultaneous companies and over 100 clients connecting.

From what I've read, several of the OpenTTD devs are interested in examining the code to see what changes were made to make that happen and if this is something that could eventually make its way into trunk.

Video for those who haven't seen it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qZAdMTBswq0
ChillCore
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by ChillCore »

kamnet wrote: 28 Jul 2023 07:09 Technically, there's no limit on how many players/clients can connect to an OpenTTD server.
Technically there is ... last time I looked at the code it was 16 players per 16 companies each ... making a total of 256 players per online game ...

would it be nice to be able to have more companies possible ... sure .. but I doubt there will ever be a game with more than 256 players in it ...
^^^ I mean with fiber and all ... should not be a prob
-- .- -.-- / - .... . / ..-. --- .-. -.-. . / -... . / .-- .. - .... / -.-- --- ..- .-.-.-
--- .... / -.-- . .- .... --..-- / .- -. -.. / .--. .-. .- .. ... . / - .... . / .-.. --- .-. -.. / ..-. --- .-. / .... . / --. .- ...- . / ..- ... / -.-. .... --- --- -.-. .... --- --- ... .-.-.- / ---... .--.

Playing with my patchpack? Ask questions on usage and report bugs in the correct thread first, please.
All included patches have been modified and are no longer 100% original.
ChillCore
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by ChillCore »

@devs ...

maybe try 32 companies witch 16 cleints echt .. just to see ...

read: the Op does cary merrit but I dount it will be needed at all ... just saying ... no ofenxe OP
-- .- -.-- / - .... . / ..-. --- .-. -.-. . / -... . / .-- .. - .... / -.-- --- ..- .-.-.-
--- .... / -.-- . .- .... --..-- / .- -. -.. / .--. .-. .- .. ... . / - .... . / .-.. --- .-. -.. / ..-. --- .-. / .... . / --. .- ...- . / ..- ... / -.-. .... --- --- -.-. .... --- --- ... .-.-.- / ---... .--.

Playing with my patchpack? Ask questions on usage and report bugs in the correct thread first, please.
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

ChillCore wrote: 28 Jul 2023 20:25
kamnet wrote: 28 Jul 2023 07:09 Technically, there's no limit on how many players/clients can connect to an OpenTTD server.
Technically there is ... last time I looked at the code it was 16 players per 16 companies each ... making a total of 256 players per online game ...
I should feel bad, I stopped lookingwhen the multiplayer setup let me hit 200 :mrgreen:
Eddi
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Eddi »

just going to throw in here that the main limitation of companies isn't the available colours, it's the way ownership is stored in the map.
jfs
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by jfs »

Eddi wrote: 29 Jul 2023 06:31 just going to throw in here that the main limitation of companies isn't the available colours, it's the way ownership is stored in the map.
It's this.

The map data is a tightly bitpacked data structure, where many tile types have used absolutely all the available space, and increasing the number of companies from 15 would mean a lot of that data would need to be re-structured. At that point the effort required is the same whether you want to extend to 32 companies or 200 companies.
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

Eddi wrote: 29 Jul 2023 06:31 just going to throw in here that the main limitation of companies isn't the available colours, it's the way ownership is stored in the map.
So Spffing Britt's patched version seems to be a huge re-write. I wonder what was sacrificed (if anything) to make 64 companies possible?
Eddi
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Eddi »

i haven't really looked at it, but it was probably a giant hack, only stitching up the most obvious issues.

it's probably not too hard to shuffle around the map bits to allow for more, if you don't care about things like savegame compatibility, or efficiency.
peter1138
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by peter1138 »

There's no correlation between player count and company count. There's no players per company limit and no multiplier or anything.

The limitation for companies is the data storage in the map, the most awkward of which is level-crossings which can have three different owners.
He's like, some kind of OpenTTD developer.
_dp_
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by _dp_ »

kamnet wrote: 29 Jul 2023 18:50 So Spffing Britt's patched version seems to be a huge re-write. I wonder what was sacrificed (if anything) to make 64 companies possible?
That event game lasted like twice longer than it should have because of all the server crashes. Also some functionality was lost like companies not being able to change colors.
ChillCore
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by ChillCore »

peter1138 wrote: 31 Jul 2023 08:04 There's no correlation between player count and company count. There's no players per company limit and no multiplier or anything.
I see ... not sure where I read that many moons ago .. may be confused with another game?? one ending in ***patch?

either way .. I'll take your word for it ... xD

adras
Engineer
Engineer

Post by adras »

It would definitely be cool if these limits could be improved

Return to “OpenTTD Suggestions”