Hungarian Station Buildings

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

Botond P
Engineer
Engineer

Hungarian Station Buildings

Post by Botond P »

Yes, I know, there already exists the Hungarian Station Set (viewtopic.php?t=70997), which is a really well-made mod, with all the platforms anyone would ever need. (At least for recreating Hungarian stations in the game...) The aforementioned set, however, has no buildings apart from the "western" railway station of Budapest. So I had the idea to create an add-on for HSS, containing some buildings to complement those nice platforms.

For now, I'm experimenting with the standardized stations built by local railway companies around the turn of the century. Many of these buildings survive to this day, albeit sometimes with heavily modified facades or in terrible condition. Today I drew a class-III station building (http://www.vasutallomasok.hu/tipust/hev/hev3h.pdf), which can be found for example at Rétság (http://arch.et.bme.hu/kep/image1722.jpg). The wooden open waiting rooms next to these buildings were mostly dismantled, but there's one surviving at Mártély, I modeled mine after that. (https://hu.wikipedia.org/wiki/M%C3%A1rt ... C3%A1s.jpg)

This is my first time drawing pixel art and creating a newgrf, so it's far from perfect, I'm not quite satisfied with the yellow colour - but I made it work! I appreciate any feedback, of course.
I really do think it helps to recreate the feeling of branch lines in the countryside:

Since I'm not a huge fan of announcing and never delivering stuff, I don't promise any updates....
...but I do share what I have, licensed under GPLv3:
[For now, only this one buildings exists, with only one orientation] See update below.
Jones & Co., 2022-06-18.png
(263.51 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Attachments
HSB.zip
Source + compiled grf
(7.74 KiB) Downloaded 45 times
Last edited by Botond P on 23 Apr 2023 21:15, edited 3 times in total.
kamnet

Re: Hungarian Station Buildings

Post by kamnet »

It's a good start, I like it! Keep working on them and update when you can. :)
Botond P
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Botond P »

Minor update A huge leap forward: the building can now be placed facing either way.
Attachments
Screenshot
Screenshot
Screenshot 2023-04-23 222401.png (14.65 KiB) Viewed 1696 times
HSB_2.zip
Source + compiled grf
(13.35 KiB) Downloaded 37 times
Quast65
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Quast65 »

Hello and welcome to the wonderful world of GRF making!! :bow:

I have waited with commenting on the building untill you made the other view of it, to be sure that the darker yellow was supposed to be a shadowside of the creme-colored side (making the creme-color the main color of the building) and not the other way around (that the darker yellow was the main color of the building).

I assume that you are using 32bpp colors to paint your structures?
Even so, I would advise to take a look at the original OpenTTD palette, for possible color suggestions that may work better as shadowsides.
I took the liberty of using another color that may work a bit better for shadow color, from another color range (more brown, rather than yellow):
Example797.png
Example797.png (60.89 KiB) Viewed 1607 times
Looking at it again, I think you even used those kind of colors to give some more texture to the sunny side of the building.
Using those darker colors as the base color for a shadowside works really good in most cases.

Hope this helps and keep up the good work!
Projects: http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=57266
Screenshots: http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?f=47&t=56959
Scenario of The Netherlands: viewtopic.php?f=60&t=87604

Winner of the following screenshot competitions:
sep 2012, jan 2013, apr 2013, aug 2013, mar 2014, mar 2016, oct 2020
All my work is released under GPL-license (either V2 or V3), if not clearly stated otherwise.
flogeza
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by flogeza »

Realy nice :) :bow:
Botond P
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Botond P »

Thank you all for the positive feedback and help!
Quast65 wrote: 24 Apr 2023 09:43 Using those darker colors as the base color for a shadowside works really good in most cases.
This was the exact piece of advice I needed. I was using the 8bpp DOS palette, and thought that a darker version of the same cream/yellow color would be appropriate for the shadow-side. The light brown looks way better.
I also experimented with creating snow sprites, and I'm pretty pleased with them:
HSB_3.png
HSB_3.png (71.91 KiB) Viewed 1399 times
Since I'm very new to NML and it doesn't look like any programming language I've seen before, I would be grateful if someone expert checked out my snow sprite selection code. I'm not sure whether this is the right way to do so, since it somehow messes with the purchase menu sprites (the same sprite appears for both orientations):

Code: Select all

template template_building() {
    X: [1, 1, 64, 64, -30, -32]
    Y: [1, 67, 64, 64, -32, -32]
}

spriteset(building_spriteset, "gfx/class3_rail.png") {
    template_building()
}

spriteset(building_spriteset_snow, "gfx/class3_rail_snow.png") {
    template_building()
}

spritelayout non_track_x {
    ground {
        sprite: terrain_type == TILETYPE_SNOW ? GROUNDSPRITE_SNOW : GROUNDSPRITE_NORMAL;
    }
    building {
        sprite: building_spriteset(X);
    }
    building {
        sprite: building_spriteset_snow(X);
        hide_sprite: nearby_tile_height(0, 0) < snowline_height;
    }
}
Attachments
HSB_3.zip
Source code + compiled GRF
(21.24 KiB) Downloaded 41 times
SaltMakaroni
Engineer
Engineer

Post by SaltMakaroni »

Very nice! :bow:
We are waiting for the more beautiful MÁV buildings and small ugly newsstands :mrgreen:
Hungarian Voxel World developer
Voxel, drawing, coding hungarian vehicles
Stadler Image Tatra Image Ganz Image

Return to “Graphics Development”