Moderator: OpenTTD Developers
OpenTTD 1.10.0-beta1 is now published.
Several big features this time round, the biggest of which would be NRT, or NewGRF RoadTypes. This allows NewGRFs to add different types of roads similarly to what they can do for RailTypes already. Also featured are big improvements to vehicle pathfinding performance, more flexible docks (multiple per station!), the ability to highlight station and town coverage areas, and many more!
There’s still some stuff to fix yet, but we’re pretty confident this release won’t immediately crash on you
See the changelog for further details.
If you’re really good boys and girls and androids, you might get a 1.10.0 stable release for Christmas…
It is practically impossible to teach good programming to students that have had a prior exposure to BASIC: as potential programmers they are mentally mutilated beyond hope of regeneration. --Edsger Dijkstra
Base Music Sets: OpenMSX | Scott Joplin Anthology | Traditional Winter Holiday Music | Modern Motion Music
Other Projects: 2CC Trams | Modern Waypoints | Sprite Sandbox & NewGRF Releases | Ideabox | Town Names | Isle of Sodor Scenario | Random Sprite Repository
Misc Topics: My Screenshots | Forgotten NewGRFs | Unfinished Graphics Sets | Stats Shack | RoadTypes?
- Feature/Change: Non-rectangular catchment area for sparse stations (#7235)
This can heavily affect the catchment area of stations! Stations will never have more tiles in catchment after this change, only same amount or fewer. This can sort-of also be categorised as a bug-fix, since the catchment area of stations wasn't the "obvious". It also means that the catchment area for receiving and delivering cargo is now the same, instead of different.
While this can be a breaking change for some existing games, it's not an option that can be turned off. It would have been a massive extra work to make this an option. Think of it as a bug-fix, you don't make settings to keep old bugs in.
- Feature: Show coverage area for stations and towns (#7446)
Don't forget to use this to show the effects of the above
- Change: Make the chance of an aeroplane crashing at an airport with a short runway independent of plane crash setting (#7302)
This means large aircraft landing at small airports always have a risk of crashing, regardless of the plane crash setting. You can no longer service those Yate Haugan from a dirt landing strip!
- Fix: Add setting for whether industries with neutral stations (e.g. Oil rigs) accept and supply cargo to/from surrounding stations to fix exploit as old as TTO (#7234)
This is a setting, defaults to original behaviour, but it allows you to prevent the age old "trick" of filling in the ocean and building railroads out to oil rigs. With the new setting switched, the only way to get cargo from and to an oil rig is by ship or plane.
Of course you can work around this by making an ultra short ship route between the oil rig and a train station built nearby in the ocean... until we figure out a way to protect the ocean tiles around oil rigs
- Feature: Experimental method of town cargo generation that scales linearly with population (#6965)
New games get the new behaviour, old games initially get the old behaviour.
This means passengers will no longer be this explosive growth money machine! The smallest towns will produce somewhat more passengers, but large towns will produce much fewer passengers. Mail is also affected. Part of the effect will also be that central bus stops will be easier to manage, not as easily get overcrowded.
- Feature: Improved performance for road vehicle pathfinding (#7261)
There is an open issue with this, basically road vehicles no longer properly balance between multiple loading bays in large stations. I don't think 1.10 will get released before that is fixed.
As for the errors, I've noticed only one at this moment:
-This is about sharp turns of ships (# 7289, # 7372) - ships do not want to turn back on single water fields, if they can do it further on a wider passage. The problem is that they want to keep going even when the wider fragment is more than 2,000 fields away. The border point is probably around 2500.
I would have some minor comments to:
- (# 7445) The way in which the range of the city is shown - the pulsating graphics are not very pleasing to the eye. It is better to have a constant or with a small amplitude of shades. I am not sure whether it would be better if the coverage of the city and local authorities were not displayed simultaneously.
- (# 6811) Icons for the reconstruction of roads and tram tracks - the style of the icons is different than that of the reconstruction of railway tracks; also the very icon of the construction of tram tracks is somewhat misleading and looks more like the construction of a narrow gauge railway.
- (# 7780) Share purchase dates - In general, shares currently do not add anything to the game, so adding this option is just like moving the air a little more to the left. As long as the sale of the shares by the issuer will not bring him profit, as well as their possession, the share element will be an ordinary blown egg in this game.
There is only one important objection, but it is serious:
- (# 7302) Plane crashes no matter what setting you choose - I don't feel comfortable writing it, but I just have to say it, otherwise it will be the worst change I've ever seen.
Point by point. This change:
1. Imposes players one and only the "right" style of play - There was a choice, and now there is none. You can choose: Disasters / More disasters / Only disasters. If disasters are turned off on some server and therefore seems to someone that game have a disturbed balance, then if something could be changed, then definitely the settings of this server, but not the game code! This change is like some nightmare. Don't you see that in this way, without giving a choice, you impose your point of view on all players, on all servers, and even in any offline games?
2. Does not include the existence of many addons such as:
-av8, WAS and similar - In these sets there are large transport aircraft, which are adapted to operate at airports with ground surface and short runways. Such aircraft include, for example, one of the largest aircraft in general Antonov AN-124. To realize how big is this plane, look at this scene: Antonov An-124 swallowing an Airbus A380 and some bridge span... at once
-OpenGFX + Airports - In this set, the smallest airports may have concrete surfaces. In fact, there are many "small" airports with low capacity were even the largest aircraft can land! The first example that probably most know is the Dunsfold airport, where the Top Gear program is shot, were also occasionally lands, among others Boeing 747 Jumbo Jet. Why should a player build a huge airport when he uses it rarely or very rarely? Big airport in the desert, because every two months a large plane arrives with supplies for the mine? Complete nonsense! The balance of airport maintenance costs is already very bad. With this change it will be even worse and no cost modification will help. -Base Cost Mod and similar - If the author's intention was to improve the game balance, I remind you of these additions. By choosing the right parameters, you can significantly equalize the competitiveness of various transport industries, without introducing any breakneck changes to the base of the game.
3. Does not take into account the settings currently available in the game that can significantly impede the construction of larger airports by changing the noise tolerance level in the city. Such settings are, among others on the map server of Poland. On the one hand, they were designed to prevent players from spamming map by airports. On the other hand, there are only a few larger airports in Poland, so allowing them to be built anywhere it would spoil the picture of the game.
4. It destroys the balance of existing scenarios, whose settings without this change hindered the use of aircraft sufficiently.
5. It is not a step towards expanding the game (see point 1) or towards realism (see point 2) - it is a pointless ill-considered limitation
6. Breaks not one basic rules for developing this game
7. I fully support the need for change, but not such. A more appropriate step towards realism / balance improvement could be:
- adding an extension of the specification for NewGRF so that they can specify which aircraft at which airports they can land
-when this addon does not specify it, the game could do so based on known aircraft parameters
- adding the possibility of creating more diverse airports, where the length and type of runway would be a key parameter for allowing the aircraft to land.
8. Considering what I really think about this change, I write extremely gently
aircraft type: large | small
but more appropriately :
required runway length: long | short
That inaccuracy in naming / distinction of effect has been in the game from the TTD times though - and not all NewGRF authors might have not considered its consequence when designing their sets. I concur with jfs: No reason for a new property though. It does exactly what the specs say it should
Changing the terminology would be a step in the right direction. Apparently, however, none of the authors of the addons with airplanes took this into account. In all significant sets (av8, Planeset, Rusian Planeset, WAS) "large" and "small" refers to the dimensions of the aircraft and not to which airports it can land. As a result, in many cases the assigned attributes have nothing to do with the actual capabilities of planes. The issue of addon parameters, however, is not the essence of the problem of this change.
Well, someone made a "mistake", so now we have to emphasize it as much as possible. A great attitude.
The distinction is that there was a choice, and now there is none. If the change were to add a new option to choose, there would be no problem.
*Keep stars for loan sharks
The question is, do you care about making changes that will cause conflicts? The average, often one-time players from vanilla servers rather will not to protest, they won't care and even enjoy the "realism" added by this change. Just like Russian peasants when communism was introduced... However, you will discouraged enthusiasts of this game, who have a better idea about it and see how vile change you introduced, while breaking the "constitution" of this game. This change is fatal and I really ask you do not go this way.
1. In the original game you could turn off the disasterProject goals
The main goals of the official branch are:
Stay faithful to the original gameplay from Transport Tycoon Deluxe (1)
In contrast, extending or altering the gameplay of the base game is not encouraged. (2)
The rationale behind these goals is that people have different opinions about what OpenTTD is and what it should be ... (3)
2. This change has a significant impact on the gameplay, so it should not be a permanent element that cannot be turned off.
3. This change does not take into account different styles or settings of game.
Yes, that is better than the one I drew. In retrospect it's obvious that it should have two tram tracks Are you happy for your version to be used (OpenTTD GPL license)?
Squid Ate FISH (ships) (Released) | CHIPS Has Improved Players' Stations (Finished)
Iron Horse (trains, released) | Termite (tracks for Iron Horse, released) | Busy Bee (game script, released)
Road Hog (road vehicles, released)
You can without doubt use any graphics that I posted or I will post on the forum if it is useful to you. This graphic was just an example, made a bit on my knee. If you want to use it, I've improved a few details a bit - the tracks protruded too much. Three versions with different details to choose from. In the meantime, I noticed that they were drawn using colors from outside the palette. I don't know which colors should be used, so I didn't limit the palette. I know this game for several years and some time ago I decided to write down all the ideas of what could be changed or improved in the game and soon I wanted to post this list on the forum. All in all, over a hundred have gathered. Some of the ideas are about small things, others would be quite revolutionary. I prepared graphics for many of them. For the most part, these suggestions unfortunately boil down to changes in the code, which at the moment I can't do, so these are only visualizations of ideas, but in a few cases they will be ready to use sprites, as long as I can find the right templates (corrected graphics of diagonally rivers - without teeth, diagonally canals, ...).
Am I happy? If the disaster change will be introducing into the game in this form, you will destroy many of my saved games that will become unplayable in newer versions of the game, and you will greatly limit my ability to configure new games and scenarios, so how can I be happy? This is very daunting. Obviously, this change will not only affect me, but also hundreds, thousands of other non-vanilla players.
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest