What about the dev of the game

OpenTTD is a fully open-sourced reimplementation of TTD, written in C++, boasting improved gameplay and many new features.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

Maharaja
Engineer
Engineer

What about the dev of the game

Post by Maharaja »

So is the game still being made by the devs or is it now only players that adds and improve stuff to the game
Or is only the language being updated
I love the game and will like to see stuff still being added to it and improved
Brumi
President
President

Re: What about the dev of the game

Post by Brumi »

The game is still actively developed. OpenTTD 1.5.0 came out less than a month ago.
Chrill

Post by Chrill »

Like Brumi said, OpenTTD is still very much in development.

http://www.openttd.org/en/

Check the official website for updates. The most recent one was this month.
My Scenarios:
Archipiélago Hermoso (Latest Release: Version 3.2)
Turnpike Falls (Latest Release: Version 0.91)
Dave

Post by Dave »

I think the issue here is that the "big wins" (the "low hanging fruit", if you will) have all been achieved.

Massive new features are rare because most are already added.

New Map Features would be my next big request, cirdan's done some stellar work there.

But that'd probably push OpenTTD towards 2.0!
Official TT-Dave Fan Club

Dave's Screenshot Thread! - Albion: A fictional Britain
Flickr

Why be a song when you can be a symphony? r is a...
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

Not only is OpenTTD still being worked on, it's worked on almost daily. While stable releases are only produced a few times a year, bug fixes and tweaks are constantly rolled out rather than queued for larger updates in nightly previews.
bokkie
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by bokkie »

Dave wrote:I think the issue here is that the "big wins" (the "low hanging fruit", if you will) have all been achieved.

Massive new features are rare because most are already added.

New Map Features would be my next big request, cirdan's done some stellar work there.

But that'd probably push OpenTTD towards 2.0!
Also, stability and future extensibility seems to be a more important goal than it used to be pre-0.6. This raises the bar a lot.

I wonder if Cirdan couldn't have a positive impact on OpenTTD development when included in the dev team. My understanding is that current devs have little spare time for OpenTTD, which is understandable, so there seems to be something to add.
frosch
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by frosch »

Just in case someone is interested, but: The OpenTTD "Core" is not the only project at hands.

We also need contributors for Right now, all these projects are managed by OpenTTD developers, even though they do not require any "OpenTTD Core" knowledge or skills (possibly not entirely true for NML).

Anyhow, these projects are still vital to the OpenTTD ecosystem, but for stuff like OpenGFX and zBase the developer contributions are more or less only of the keep-alive-kind.
The past weeks we spent on getting releases for NML, OpenGFX and zBase because we got a lot of complaints about the "your baseset is incomplete" message.
The server setup of openttd.org is about to change, and the current WebTranslator3 needs to be retired and replaced with Eints.

So, I would say, it's less about the developers having too little time to spent on OpenTTD related projects, but rather the variety of projects that the time is distributed over.

If you can contribute to any of these projects with Python, NML or Drawing skills, you can directly increase the share of work that is directed towards the OpenTTD "Core" :)
⢇⡸⢸⠢⡇⡇⢎⡁⢎⡱⢸⡱⢸⣭⠀⢸⢜⢸⢸⣀⢸⣀⢸⣭⢸⡱⠀⢰⠭⡆⣫⠰⣉⢸⢸⠀⢰⠭⡆⡯⡆⢹⠁⠀⢐⠰⡁
bokkie
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by bokkie »

frosch wrote:So, I would say, it's less about the developers having too little time to spent on OpenTTD related projects, but rather the variety of projects that the time is distributed over.
Keep in mind I wasn't criticizing, although I guess you didn't think I was :)
Redirect Left
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Redirect Left »

To be honest, I think OpenTTD is probably one of the most frequently updated games I play. Certainly one of the most dedicated development crew of things I play. Often gets more frequent updates than some paid-for games!
Need some good tested AI? - Unofficial AI Tester, list of good stuff & thread is here.

Return to “General OpenTTD”