New feature: what about events and Theaters, Stadiums etc?

Got an idea for OpenTTD? Post it here!

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

locopiastra
Engineer
Engineer

New feature: what about events and Theaters, Stadiums etc?

Post by locopiastra »

Hi,

I was thinking: what moves a lot of people around? Special events! So what about a new type of industry, entertainment? You could have big and beautiful to see stadiums, arenas, Theaters, Cruise Ships. They could just accept passengers or have a sort of seasonal acceptance period, or a limit, so you only get paid for the number of people that actually get into the attraction.

What do you think?
FLHerne
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: New feature: what about events and Theaters, Stadiums et

Post by FLHerne »

This can be done by NewGRF.
The ECS industry set has a 'Tourist' cargo class and associated castles/hotels. :wink:

Stadiums and theaters already exist in most house sets, just treated as big houses with high passenger production.

(Moving) cruise ships can't be done without patching the game, and that's a niche enough feature that it'll almost certainly.
Last edited by FLHerne on 25 Aug 2014 11:55, edited 1 time in total.
Temporary Permanent signature filling text. Content coming soon delayed indefinitely! Oh, and I have had a screenshot thread.
Linux user (XMonad DWM/KDE, Arch), IRC obsessive and rail enthusiast. No longer building robots; now I ring church bells.
Author of an incredibly boring stickied post about NewGRFs.
keoz
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by keoz »

Additionally to what FLHerne already told, I would add, about this proposal:
locopiastra wrote:They could just accept passengers or have a sort of seasonal acceptance period, or a limit, so you only get paid for the number of people that actually get into the attraction.
That sounds maybee as nice idea to you, stated as such, but concretely, this would lead to a lot of boring micromanagement.

What do you do concretely: each six month, you stop in depots the useless train to restart them six month later ? That wouldn't be for me ...

I already find that "tourists" cargo in ECS is uselessly redundant with passengers cargo.
Patch - Let's timetable depot waiting time with the Wait in depot patch.
GameScript - Searching a new way to make your cities growing ? Try the Renewed City Growth GameScript.
My screenshots thread.
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

Seems like a good expansion of the ECS Tourist industry, addition to the castle, shrines, etc.
Baldy's Boss
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Baldy's Boss »

It bugs me that every stadium is the same size,even if one town is hundreds of times the size of another.There ought to be some town-size-dependent succession.
planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by planetmaker »

Baldy's Boss wrote:It bugs me that every stadium is the same size,even if one town is hundreds of times the size of another.There ought to be some town-size-dependent succession.
It's just a matter of making that via NewGRF. It's possible just fine using the existing NewGRF specs for houses.
Dave

Post by Dave »

I was also thinking about pre-1900 towns where the stadium is hideously out of place.

Maybe also a replacement for small villages could be a village green or cricket pitch (for the UK, anyway). I imagine you could set a minimum population setting for stadiums to appear?
Official TT-Dave Fan Club

Dave's Screenshot Thread! - Albion: A fictional Britain
Flickr

Why be a song when you can be a symphony? r is a...
Baldy's Boss
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Baldy's Boss »

planetmaker wrote:
Baldy's Boss wrote:It bugs me that every stadium is the same size,even if one town is hundreds of times the size of another.There ought to be some town-size-dependent succession.
It's just a matter of making that via NewGRF. It's possible just fine using the existing NewGRF specs for houses.
The 2x2 size of stadium blocks is set by the program rather than a NewGRF,I expect...so a stadium would be on a differing scale despite its size if no patch tied map size to town size.
leifbk
Chairman
Chairman

Post by leifbk »

Dave wrote:I was also thinking about pre-1900 towns where the stadium is hideously out of place.
There are a lot of things that are hideously out of place in pre-1900 games. For my own part, I mostly try to ignore them. Although, to keep my eyes from hurting too much, I have compiled my own FIRS with the most offending industry buildings put at a late year of arrival. I won't blame the developers; obviously horse & sail games are attractive to a tiny fraction of the users. On the contrary, I think that it's gorgeous to have horse carts and sail ships available from 1700 at all.
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

What FIRS really needs is people who can draw buildings for those earlier games, so that Andythenorth has no more excuses for not doing so himself ;-)

In my big pile of "things I wanna see done some day" I have an idea for parks and stadiums as stations, both non-tracked to place as eyecandy or expanded station cachement areas, and some meant to hide underground rail stations (maybe road stations too?).
michael blunck
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by michael blunck »

Baldy's Boss wrote: The 2x2 size of stadium blocks is set by the program rather than a NewGRF,I expect...
Not so. The usual "stadium" is a house/buildung, so it´s max size is 2*2 tiles. But in a newGRF, you could have smaller "stadiums".

W/r to "horse games", even in the years 1900 .. 1920 there were more horses than automobiles.
regards
Michael
leifbk
Chairman
Chairman

Post by leifbk »

michael blunck wrote:W/r to "horse games", even in the years 1900 .. 1920 there were more horses than automobiles.
This is getting rather off topic, but ... the egrvts set reflects this fact perfectly, as the horse carts are superior to the automobiles until 1915.

I even remember there were a few horse carts in the streets when I was a kid, back in the Fifties.
Dave

Post by Dave »

A village green is a must for me - In TTRS, OpenTTD will always try to build a stadium early on when using "Expand" in the scenario editor, so I've got plenty of stadiums in villages that just wouldn't have one. But of course, I'm not going to draw one :P
Official TT-Dave Fan Club

Dave's Screenshot Thread! - Albion: A fictional Britain
Flickr

Why be a song when you can be a symphony? r is a...
Baldy's Boss
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Baldy's Boss »

michael blunck wrote:
Baldy's Boss wrote: The 2x2 size of stadium blocks is set by the program rather than a NewGRF,I expect...
Not so. The usual "stadium" is a house/buildung, so it´s max size is 2*2 tiles. But in a newGRF, you could have smaller "stadiums".

W/r to "horse games", even in the years 1900 .. 1920 there were more horses than automobiles.
1280px-Berlin_Bahnhof_Friedrichstrasse_Schluetersteg_1900.jpg
regards
Michael
For a large city it should be possible for a stadium to grow beyond 2x2.

Another thing I've longed for is an increase in the number of stages of Headquarters growth,all that seems possible with NewGRFs is redesign of the existing top stage (which is reached easily).
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

You can provide new graphics for any stage. The Canadian set, for example, provides all new graphics. Some of the early graphics replacements (mostly EXEs, not NewGRF) also replaced the various stages.

It should be possible for a GameScript combined with a NewGRF Objects set to define points of creating and replacing the HQ with various middle stages.
Baldy's Boss
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Baldy's Boss »

kamnet wrote:You can provide new graphics for any stage. The Canadian set, for example, provides all new graphics. Some of the early graphics replacements (mostly EXEs, not NewGRF) also replaced the various stages.

It should be possible for a GameScript combined with a NewGRF Objects set to define points of creating and replacing the HQ with various middle stages.
But as far as HQ goes I want there to be MORE stages,not modifications of the existing stages.I want companies much larger than needed for the highest existing stage to be the only ones to get the new highest stage.
Eddi
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Eddi »

Baldy's Boss wrote:For a large city it should be possible for a stadium to grow beyond 2x2.
you can do that by making the stadium an industry rather than a house. but i doubt it's really necessary. the buildings in TTD are to no real scale anyway, so just pick one at random that fits into the tile space... the size of the football field doesn't change anyway.
Baldy's Boss
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Baldy's Boss »

Eddi wrote:
Baldy's Boss wrote:For a large city it should be possible for a stadium to grow beyond 2x2.
you can do that by making the stadium an industry rather than a house. but i doubt it's really necessary. the buildings in TTD are to no real scale anyway, so just pick one at random that fits into the tile space... the size of the football field doesn't change anyway.
But the size of the stands changes enormously,and the relative scale is obvious.

Return to “OpenTTD Suggestions”