Underground Stations/Switches/Signals

Got an idea for OpenTTD? Post it here!

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

TinyMusic
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: Underground Stations/Switches/Signals

Post by TinyMusic »

Shoot! Better tell Vaulter about this to add it to HardPatchPack. :)
Formerly known as UseYourIllusion.
Java Scenario Found Here - Version 2 out
[tweɪ̂ pû tɕʰì wɔ̀ mǐlɤ lû tɕʰìŋ nì pɑ́ŋmɑ̌ŋ]
prissi
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by prissi »

The underground mode GUI is surely not the showstopper. Simutrans has one for quite some time. Fdr ramps and building, a sliced mode (only stuff on this heightlevel, like the russian patch) did qork quite well.
I like to look at great maps and see how things flow. A little like a finished model railway, but it is evolving and actually never finished. http://www.simutrans.com
TinyMusic
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by TinyMusic »

I compiled & tried it myself.
Then send me a binary please.
DC-1
Engineer
Engineer

Post by DC-1 »

UseYourIllusion wrote:
I compiled & tried it myself.
Then send me a binary please.
I'm using Linux, and the compiling process is very easy. But your favor now I've compiled for win32, but never tested. No warranty. :->

OpenTTD 1.2.3-underground Linux i686
OpenTTD 1.2.3-underground Win32
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

Windows binary doesn't work. If you can link me directly to the files I can try to compile it.
DC-1
Engineer
Engineer

Post by DC-1 »

kamnet wrote:Windows binary doesn't work. If you can link me directly to the files I can try to compile it.
:-/

I've already linked the russian forum, but here a direct link for the patch:
http://forums.ttdrussia.net/download/file.php?id=7795
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

Bah, looks like it was written in visual c, don't think I can use that. :-

Here's a crash log and sav, if that helps.
Attachments
crash.sav
(1.03 KiB) Downloaded 72 times
crash.log.txt
(7.38 KiB) Downloaded 73 times
DC-1
Engineer
Engineer

Post by DC-1 »

kamnet wrote:Bah, looks like it was written in visual c, don't think I can use that. :-

Overwrite the baseset directory from a stock 1.3.0 (!) openttd! If it works, I'll replace the zipped binaries.
planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by planetmaker »

ipsirc wrote:
kamnet wrote:Bah, looks like it was written in visual c, don't think I can use that. :-

Overwrite the baseset directory from a stock 1.3.0 (!) openttd! If it works, I'll replace the zipped binaries.
Please use 'make bundle' also on linux and include all files from that directoy. Your archive misses COPYING. Or simply use like 'make bundle_gzip' for a ready-packaged archive, 'make help' for a list of bundle options.
DC-1
Engineer
Engineer

Post by DC-1 »

planetmaker wrote:
ipsirc wrote:

Please use 'make bundle' also on linux and include all files from that directoy. Your archive misses COPYING. Or simply use like 'make bundle_gzip' for a ready-packaged archive, 'make help' for a list of bundle options.
I'm always using 'make bundle'. Also today I did. This may be an incompatibility with the patch and the old grf files. It's only a trying, and already a bundle in the zip. There are no missing files. If something is missing, then the error message is other.
Supercheese
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Supercheese »

planetmaker wrote:Your archive misses COPYING.
The Windows binary archive has COPYING.
Eyecandy Road Vehicles | Fake Subways | Supercheese's NewObjects

"Fashions and cultures change, but steam trains shall always be majestic."
-Professor Hershel Layton
planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by planetmaker »

Supercheese wrote:
I know. And that's why I talked about how to create a bundle on linux.
DC-1
Engineer
Engineer

Post by DC-1 »

planetmaker wrote:
Supercheese wrote:
I know. And that's why I talked about how to create a bundle on linux.
I'm using linux, and all 2 bundles were created on linux. I have no idea what do you talking about.

But!

I've replaced the baseset dir, and it works! (tested in virtualbox ;) Now you can try again.

OpenTTD 1.2.3-underground Linux i686 (bundle with COPYING)
OpenTTD 1.2.3-underground win32 (bundle with COPYING)
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

Thanks for the updated build! Some of my own observations from the few minutes I've tested it:

1) Despite showing Underground (-1) through (-3), it appears to me that there is only actually one underground level.
2) There are absolutely no landmarks on the underground level to guide you. You are best off starting on the surface level, using the "Special Construction" menu to build an "elevator" (which right now just looks like a default rail station tile). After that you can expand and modify the station tiles on each level as you choose with a NewGRF station tile, this won't affect or break anything (as far as I can tell, so far).
3) There is no "physical" connectivity between the surface and underground layers. So no subways that reach the surface and vice-versa. Still, this gives you PLENTY of unrestricted room underground to build what you need. None of your underground routes have to match anything on the surface. No hills, valleys, rivers, water features, etc. to route around.
4) The underground layer is also restricted to just one level. No building bridges or tunnels, no raising or lowering ground.
5) You can build rail, road and tram lines. No airports or water. NewObjects can also be built.
TinyMusic
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by TinyMusic »

For some reason, this patch cannot open scenarios. It says, "Broken savegame - Invalid chunk size." Also, the background opening menu shows an underground mode instead of the typical menu background.
DC-1
Engineer
Engineer

Post by DC-1 »

kamnet wrote:Thanks for the updated build! Some of my own observations from the few minutes I've tested it:

1) Despite showing Underground (-1) through (-3), it appears to me that there is only actually one underground level.
In the generate world menu you can choose 4 levels. Default is 2. (8 means crash ;] )
kamnet wrote:2) There are absolutely no landmarks on the underground level to guide you. You are best off starting on the surface level, using the "Special Construction" menu to build an "elevator" (which right now just looks like a default rail station tile). After that you can expand and modify the station tiles on each level as you choose with a NewGRF station tile, this won't affect or break anything (as far as I can tell, so far).
3) There is no "physical" connectivity between the surface and underground layers. So no subways that reach the surface and vice-versa. Still, this gives you PLENTY of unrestricted room underground to build what you need. None of your underground routes have to match anything on the surface. No hills, valleys, rivers, water features, etc. to route around.
4) The underground layer is also restricted to just one level. No building bridges or tunnels, no raising or lowering ground.
These are forbidden by a few lines in patch. I think this is a feature. ;]
kamnet wrote:5) You can build rail, road and tram lines. No airports or water. NewObjects can also be built.
Disallow airports+water also 4 lines of code. I think it seems to be very stupid when we can build airports at underground...or ships in caves. ;]

This was the first (and the last ;-/ ] release of the patch. I've read the whole russian topic, and someone mentioned the author that it can be combined with teleport bridges patch, which can make connectivity between surface and underground.

So I think it's quite good for the first very-very alpha release.

and my 5. point: you'd better to turn off smooth scrolling when changing between layers.
aantono
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by aantono »

I've reached out to the developer on the Russian forum and he is still interested in developing this idea, but not as an always-getting-stale patch. His thoughts are to make incremental changes to the official trunk that would enable the base foundation to create multi-layered maps with transition points between layers which can then be used to build whatever other features needed. He is willig to do bulk of the coding work, but needs help with drawing graphics, GUI and shepherding the inclusion of the changes into the official release.

If there is interest to start making this happen and people could help, then I can help connecting the dots. :)
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

What graphics does he want designed? I think the GUI is okay, it could use a little polishing but it's pretty usable right now.
aantono
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by aantono »

kamnet wrote:What graphics does he want designed? I think the GUI is okay, it could use a little polishing but it's pretty usable right now.
Not sure about the exact details, but I think in the forum there was mention of drawing cross-layer passage tunnels/crossings, probably better sprites for rendering switching layer menus, and some others, I'd imagine. :)

Return to “OpenTTD Suggestions”