Restrict road building on railway for towns

Got a problem with OpenTTD? Find some help here.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

Panthesilea
Engineer
Engineer

Restrict road building on railway for towns

Post by Panthesilea »

Hi!

Sorry if I missed some settings but I don't know how can I disable building road on my railway for towns (if it is possible). It is very annoying that towns build lot of roads across my nice railway network.
Attachments
roadrailway.PNG
roadrailway.PNG (53.31 KiB) Viewed 3086 times
TimeLapse1357
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Re: Restrict road building on railway for towns

Post by TimeLapse1357 »

there is a setting for that.

Type "grade" in the settings window search field to find it.
leifbk
Chairman
Chairman

Post by leifbk »

Environment -> Towns -> Towns are allowed to build level crossings.
Panthesilea
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Panthesilea »

TimeLapse1357 wrote:there is a setting for that.

Type "grade" in the settings window search field to find it.
Thanks! It looks I searched for this option with the wrong keywords :)
Chrill

Post by Chrill »

I know this doesn't answer your question like the above replies do, but I usually prefer playing with towns not permitted to build roads at all. I will then build the roads for them so that they suit better.
My Scenarios:
Archipiélago Hermoso (Latest Release: Version 3.2)
Turnpike Falls (Latest Release: Version 0.91)
Transportman
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Transportman »

Chrill wrote:I know this doesn't answer your question like the above replies do, but I usually prefer playing with towns not permitted to build roads at all. I will then build the roads for them so that they suit better.
"Downside" is that you then also have to pay the maintenance costs for those roads. Not that it should really matter.
Coder of the Dutch Trackset | Development support for the Dutch Trainset | Coder of the 2cc TrainsInNML
Pyoro
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Pyoro »

Yeah, really wish towns would take over roads once they are surrounded by houses (or whatever makes sense programming-wise). It'd just feel cleaner. And less potential of abuse in MP, too, I suppose (not that I care ^^).
Chrill

Post by Chrill »

Transportman wrote:
Chrill wrote:I know this doesn't answer your question like the above replies do, but I usually prefer playing with towns not permitted to build roads at all. I will then build the roads for them so that they suit better.
"Downside" is that you then also have to pay the maintenance costs for those roads. Not that it should really matter.
Definitely doesn't matter, it doesn't even begin to dent the finances. Then again, I don't really play OpenTTD to make money but rather to build pretty(ish) and realistic(ish) networks.

I own virtually all road pieces here, for example. Doesn't bother my finances :mrgreen:
My Scenarios:
Pyoro
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Pyoro »

Yeah, but it does weird things to the balancing, even if it doesn't matter. Like, this:
download/file.php?id=189134
32 Million DM maintance cost for roads. 1.200.000DM for rail (without stations). 180.000.000 income for trains, 170.000.000 for roads.

dunno. It's probably that "the more you buy of one type the more expensive maintenance gets overall" feature; well. Don't really know whether it applies to roads, but with rails you can spread it through a bunch of types, with roads - there's just roads ;) So by, err, around 65.000 road pieces each additional road piece starts to become really expensive. I think. Maybe.

But, yeah, doesn't really matter. ^^
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

This is why I like using Infrastructure Sharing patch - I ues an AI to build roads and switch to that company to build any new roads, and leave that one saddled with the debt for roads. ;)
Sylf
President
President

Post by Sylf »

But roads are shared in the vanilla version too. Or did I miss something?
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

Yes, anybody can drive on anybody's roads. I have no idea why I needed to make mention of IS. Please pardon the wanderings of my brain cells.
Eddi
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Eddi »

all you need to do is to start the game as "multiplayer", then you can switch to other companies at will. alternatively, use the cheat menu.
Pilot
General Forums Moderator
General Forums Moderator

Post by Pilot »

The Cheat Menu is indeed very nice for this, I normally just end up naming one Company something along the lines of "Highways Agency" and giving them more than enough money than they need so that I can build roads as much as I want. Normally add a few Cars through that company too (including emergency vehicles)
Chrill wrote:I own virtually all road pieces here, for example. Doesn't bother my finances :mrgreen:
Looks like you have a bit of a capacity problem at the station between Grindham and Trunfingburg in that game ;)
Chrill

Post by Chrill »

Pilot wrote:
Chrill wrote:I own virtually all road pieces here, for example. Doesn't bother my finances :mrgreen:
Looks like you have a bit of a capacity problem at the station between Grindham and Trunfingburg in that game ;)
No. Never. Everything is perfect.

You're right, though. I've rebuilt it since but it's still not perfect. It's the oldest photo I could find already posted, I'm not currently at home so I can't take new photos!
My Scenarios:
Pyoro
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Pyoro »

Using multiple companies is kinda annoying though, I mean if you want to delete something you always have to switch back and forth ... given that the OTTD economy isn't the most challenging I think I'd rather just pay ^^;
Baldy's Boss
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Baldy's Boss »

As a rail snob I am likelier to rip up roads than build them...with the aim of either crippling road-based AIs or preventing new ones from having good routes after old ones go bust.

Return to “OpenTTD Problems”