Aegir's Projects

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

Aegir
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: Aegir's Projects

Post by Aegir »

Dave wrote:This is a pleasant trip down nostalgia avenue...
HELLO THERE SIR, I see you have a fancy new badge under your name.
kamnet wrote:
Aegir wrote:Cool. Sounds like I need to dust off my NFO coding hat then if I want to continue down that road then; most of my outstanding projects were stations and newbuildings related.

Did anyone pick up the North American Building Set after I left? I think I recall seeing something somebody put together but I didn't like the way it generated towns - I put a lot of effort into NABS and jpset-buildings back in the day getting them to generate proper city/suburban separation.
OzTrans used them in North American Cities Set, then Canadian Cities, and then he left the community, poisoned the set so that it wouldn't activate if combined with a few other popular NewGRFs, and deleted his archive of work so it couldn't be used or distributed.

NABS still works. Some people can still find older copies of North American City Set/Canadian Cities that works.
Great, pleased to see this community still attracts the mentally well adjusted. Explains why I'm lurking around again then I suppose.
wallyweb wrote:
Aegir wrote:Yes I wouldn't say NewStations is small, that's for certain. Thanks for the tip on that one.
Michael is being modest. If I am not mistaken, I do believe that m4nfo also supports bridges.

On a related note, cirdan's New Map Features (NMF) adds three bridge IDs for a total of 16. (Hence my search for a few good bridges. :wink: )
Oooh. Yes, Cirdan's build (actually I believe it's the compile you uploaded) is what I'm playing at the moment.
Currently working under the name 'reldred' on Github, and Discord.
NFO/NML coder, part-time patch writer for JGRPP, and all round belligerent.

14:40 <orudge> I can't say I discriminate against any particular user
14:41 <Aegir> orudge: I can!
Dave

Post by Dave »

Aegir wrote:
HELLO THERE SIR, I see you have a fancy new badge under your name.
I paid off the right people!
Aegir wrote:Great, pleased to see this community still attracts the mentally well adjusted. Explains why I'm lurking around again then I suppose.
He was a special sort of Brazil nut. What makes this forum go round.

Argh so good to see the old crowd now and then.
Official TT-Dave Fan Club

Dave's Screenshot Thread! - Albion: A fictional Britain
Flickr

Why be a song when you can be a symphony? r is a...
wallyweb
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by wallyweb »

Aegir wrote:Great, pleased to see this community still attracts the mentally well adjusted.
\me doubles up on his meds. :mrgreen:
NekoMaster
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by NekoMaster »

wallyweb wrote:
Aegir wrote:Great, pleased to see this community still attracts the mentally well adjusted.
\me doubles up on his meds. :mrgreen:
\me has a spaz attack and bounces off the walls from too much coffee at 2:30am
Image Proud Canadian Image
Nekomasters Projects! (Downloads available on BaNaNaS!) \(>^w^<)/
# NARS ADD-ON SET 2CC | 2cc Rapid Transit For Me! (2ccRTFM) | 2cc Wagons In NML (2ccWIN)
# NML Category System (Organize your GRFS!) <- TT-Forums Exclusive Download!
leifbk
Chairman
Chairman

Post by leifbk »

I'll sacrifice fifty warriors in celebration of our friendship!
Aegir
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Aegir »

michael blunck wrote:
Aegir wrote: Cool. Sounds like I need to dust off my NFO coding hat then if I want to continue down that road then; most of my outstanding projects were stations and newbuildings related.
For station coding, other than in pure nfo, there´s m4nfo. It´s what has been used to code that rather large NewStations set. There´s also a station tutorial.

regards
Michael
Just to return to this briefly as I've now very much noticed the trend of an overabbundance of newobjects that really should be stations or houses (and I'm wondering whether I should do something about that...); to summarize m4nfo into the most core of concepts; it's m4 macros as a front-end to nfo. So really the workflow is write m4 script; m4 script gets converted to NFO automagically; NFO compiled into .GRF as it was in the dark old days? That sound a lot like some of the ideas we were kicking around back in the day when I was converting all of my projects to use makefiles. Glad to see it came to fruition.

michael blunck
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by michael blunck »

Aegir wrote: Just to return to this briefly as I've now very much noticed the trend of an overabbundance of newobjects that really should be stations or houses (and I'm wondering whether I should do something about that...);
That´s exactly what I think (and have mentioned a couple of times ...).
Aegir wrote: to summarize m4nfo into the most core of concepts; it's m4 macros as a front-end to nfo.
Yep. It´s a front-end supplying nfo code for grfcodec. Usually the whole task is run by a batch procedure or (for the larger projects) by using GNU´s "make", to keep track of source code and graphics files.
Aegir wrote: So really the workflow is write m4 script; m4 script gets converted to NFO automagically; NFO compiled into .GRF as it was in the dark old days?
Exactly. And this approach has quite a couple of benefits, the most prominents summarized on the m4nfo main page.

Especially with an intelligent IDE (I´m using pspad) a newgrf can be simply produced by a single mouse click.
Aegir wrote: That sound a lot like some of the ideas we were kicking around back in the day when I was converting all of my projects to use makefiles. Glad to see it came to fruition.
Yeah. It´s in development since 2009.

regards
Michael
ISA
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by ISA »

+1. Nice to see older fellows good and well!
Aegir
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Aegir »

First up I'm going to say, WHEN DID CARGO DESTINATIONS BECOME A THING AND WHY WASN'T I NOTIFIED? I started playing OpenTTD again after being fed up with Train Fever/Transport Fever but then started to get annoyed at the lack of cargo destinations; lo and behold it's actually been in trunk for a while now :roll:
ISA wrote:
+1. Nice to see older fellows good and well!
Heya! Good to see you around as well!
michael blunck wrote:That´s exactly what I think (and have mentioned a couple of times ...).
Yeah you did say, but I guess I didn't really notice it myself until I started sampling the local produce in the fruit market, so to speak. I'm still trying to decide whether I want to get directly involved in trying to fix that problem however. I already have a lot of time consuming hobbies (which dragged me away from here in the first place).
michael blunck wrote:Exactly. And this approach has quite a couple of benefits, the most prominents summarized on the m4nfo main page.

Especially with an intelligent IDE (I´m using pspad) a newgrf can be simply produced by a single mouse click.
Yeap. Never been a big fan of IDE's but reducing the steps back in the day down to one command in CLI that dealt with combining all of my nfo source files, renumbering lines, converting pcx to png and then finally spitting out the resultant grf file was a big win for me when I finally got it to work. Now I just have to go back through everything and remember how to get it going again (and then, you know, learn m4nfo...)

Thanks for the tip on pspad though, looks like a great replacement for a couple of separate tools I use in Windows. Built in hex editor is going to be useful for some stuff with my day-job as well.
michael blunck wrote:Yeah. It´s in development since 2009.
My mind still boggles that it's been that long. I remember playing TTO in mars setting back in '96. I just turned 28 only a few days ago...
Last edited by Aegir on 14 Dec 2016 07:48, edited 1 time in total.

Aegir
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Aegir »

kamnet wrote:AFAIK, any code that you wrote back then still works today. Good job.
Thanks, I used to spend inordinate amounts of time in #tycoon being mentored by Patchman, eis_os, and the rest of the original ttdpatch superhero devs so they'd kick my teeth in if I got anything too badly wrong. There's some old files of mine with busted grfid's that I think made it to Bananas without my permission but I think I managed to stamp that out.
kamnet wrote:It would be kinda weird to find ISR in Aegir's projects, since ISR wasn't his project.
This has been boiling my brain since you mentioned it but I finally figured it out; it was BornAcorn's freight station art. These were originally under my care during the old Project Generic Stations days and were released with a lot of the features you see currently in ISR which is where the confusion I think comes from. The original Industrial Stations and Sanchimaru's Harbor stations got merged together into Industrial Stations Renewal and then BornAcorn's art got merged into ISR with a bunch of extra stuff added to bridge the visual styles. I was originally in cahoots with Sanchimaru to program ISR back in the very early days before I disappeared; I'm sitting on a bunch of the original early files circa September/October 2006 in my old todo pile with Sanchimaru's notes accompanying them but frankly ISR become something far bigger and grander than what I think I could have achieved back in those days I think.

These were the freight stations I was working on. Platforms on the first two are adapted from artwork by Cornelius (original artist of the US station set) who left me with a big-ole care-package of his art before he left the community. Third one are my own original artwork platforms, crane is from BornAcorn's original artwork pre-ISR.
2.PNG
2.PNG (23.63 KiB) Viewed 4373 times
3.PNG
3.PNG (35.43 KiB) Viewed 4373 times
4.PNG
4.PNG (41.67 KiB) Viewed 4373 times

WWTBAM

Post by WWTBAM »

Good to see you around again Aegir. Love seeing this old pixel pushed work that fits much better with the way the game is supposed to be :P
Formerly known as r0b0t_b0y2003, robotboy, roboboy and beclawat. The best place to get the most recent nightly builds of TTDPatch is: http://roboboy.users.tt-forums.net/TTDPatch/nightlies/
wallyweb
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by wallyweb »

Aegir wrote:Industrial Stations Renewal
A little FYI in case you missed it ... mart3p is the last/current maintainer.
I just turned 28 only a few days ago...
:cry:
Aegir
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Aegir »

wallyweb wrote:
Yeap, I noticed that. He still active? ISR might not actually be a bad fit for some of my pixel-pushing.
beclawat wrote:Good to see you around again Aegir. Love seeing this old pixel pushed work that fits much better with the way the game is supposed to be :P
Pixel-art master-race 8)

Good to see you around as well man, took a little while to figure out who you were :)

wallyweb
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by wallyweb »

Aegir wrote:
wallyweb wrote:
Yeap, I noticed that. He still active? ISR might not actually be a bad fit for some of my pixel-pushing.
I hope he is. His latest post was the end of June. He PM'd me on the same date.
Aegir
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Aegir »

wallyweb wrote:
Aegir wrote:
wallyweb wrote:A little FYI in case you missed it ... mart3p is the last/current maintainer.
I hope he is. His latest post was the end of June. He PM'd me on the same date.
That's only a short amount of time given the standard around here I suppose.

WWTBAM

Post by WWTBAM »

Aegir wrote:
beclawat wrote:Good to see you around again Aegir. Love seeing this old pixel pushed work that fits much better with the way the game is supposed to be :P
Pixel-art master-race 8)

Good to see you around as well man, took a little while to figure out who you were :)
Yeah, decided I needed a name change since most other people on here change names fairly regularly :P

I have been doing some work behind closed doors trying to get TTDPatch to build under the new WIndows Subsystem for Linux on WIndows 10. Not got anywhere near building a .exe yet as the TTDPatch build system is so ancient and relies upon 32 bit (ELF) binaries which WSL can't run. I'm hoping once the next public Windows 10 build is released that my helper and I can start figuring out how to get around the blockages. I am running insider builds to get the newest features for testing the TTDP build system.
Formerly known as r0b0t_b0y2003, robotboy, roboboy and beclawat. The best place to get the most recent nightly builds of TTDPatch is: http://roboboy.users.tt-forums.net/TTDPatch/nightlies/
Aegir
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Aegir »

beclawat wrote:
Aegir wrote:
Pixel-art master-race 8)

Yeah, decided I needed a name change since most other people on here change names fairly regularly :P

I have been doing some work behind closed doors trying to get TTDPatch to build under the new WIndows Subsystem for Linux on WIndows 10. Not got anywhere near building a .exe yet as the TTDPatch build system is so ancient and relies upon 32 bit (ELF) binaries which WSL can't run. I'm hoping once the next public Windows 10 build is released that my helper and I can start figuring out how to get around the blockages. I am running insider builds to get the newest features for testing the TTDP build system.
Crap on a crutch that's a mountain of a task you've bitten off. What are you doing for a biscuit these days? Dev-ops or something? Just getting TTDPatch to build back in the day was not an easy task.

WWTBAM

Post by WWTBAM »

I'm looking for work as a developer. I'll be studying to Help Desk/Network Admin next year. Have actually worked in IT as a developer in the last couple of years. The problem is most of the software dev work is Web dev work which is not where my core skills currently lie.

I managed to get TTDPatch building under Ubuntu in a VM a couple of years ago fairly easily. It is a challenge under Windows and more so than I initially thought but hey, making TTDPatch build on a WIndows will make it much easier for me to get back into learning ASM again and hopefully get TTDP back into a respectable release. I have all the files required to build a stable release and patchman has said he would publish a new stable if we get a stable quality build.
Aegir
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Aegir »

henlo frends

I'm still sorting out my BaNaNaS access to update re_nabs over there but for now I've posted a new release 0.6.6.9 on GitHub:

https://github.com/reldred/re_nabs/releases/tag/0.6.6.9

For anyone still kicking around with old editions of NABS before He Who Shall Not Be Named had his little tantrum, and missed that I started uploading things to Bananas again, yes the grfids changed, yes the filenames changed. No I'm not sorry.

kamnet

Post by kamnet »

It's good just to have you back and contributing. Thank you :)

Return to “Graphics Development”