Donald Trump elected 45th US president

This is the place to talk about anything not related to Transport Tycoon itself.

Moderator: General Forums Moderators

Ameecher
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: Donald Trump elected 45th US president

Post by Ameecher »

Drury wrote:Trump is doing a 180 it seems. Says the hostility saddens him.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/good-people- ... 24898.html

Let's not forget a couple of months ago he said "I'll pay your legal fees I promise you if you smack people like that"

And another reminder how weak both candidates really were, visual this time.

One deduction (and I'm not saying it is right) could be that Trump want popular, just Clinton was deeply unpopular - afterall, Republican votes didn't change much.
Dave

Post by Dave »

You've had your friendly prod. This is a stern one. Keep it civil and flame free.

Consequences are a locked topic and warnings.
Official TT-Dave Fan Club

Dave's Screenshot Thread! - Albion: A fictional Britain
Flickr

Why be a song when you can be a symphony? r is a...
Drury
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Drury »

Obama claims he would be happy to help the middle class and what would later become Trump supporters, but he had the Congress working against him.

He's apparently right. This is an interesting strategy by the Republican party - do everything in their power to make the opposition's president seem bad in the eyes of GOP voters by blocking meaningful reforms that would help them the most. That's actually some next level stuff right here.

Only dumb people quote themselves, and only the truest retards put such quotes in their forum signatures
-Drury
Pyoro
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Pyoro »

It's actually a fairly standard strategy in democracies and one of the worst aspects of it; sabotaging obviously good decisions so the "wrong" party can't take credit for it. It's not something the Republicans invented or only they do or anything ^^;
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

Oh, something else I did to help the next four years along.

I'm now a card-carrying member of the American Civil Liberties Union.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U9JAbyROUWk
supermop
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by supermop »

kamnet wrote:Oh, something else I did to help the next four years along.

I'm now a card-carrying member of the American Civil Liberties Union.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U9JAbyROUWk
Thanks Kamnet! we are going to need all the help we can get! My wife and I also made donations to the ACLU and SPLC this week. I kind of wish I had gone to law school so I could do pro-bono work, but at least I can support national and local organizations to help those in difficult situations.

Also, call your representatives - regardless of party they do work for you, and their office will listen to your calls. If push comes to shove, it is a lot easier for a congressman to stand up for something when thousands of the voters he needs in less than two years are calling him.
TimeLapse1357
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by TimeLapse1357 »

supermop wrote:Also, call your representatives - regardless of party they do work for you, and their office will listen to your calls. If push comes to shove, it is a lot easier for a congressman to stand up for something when thousands of the voters he needs in less than two years are calling him.
That is true for Congress, but senators serve a 6-year term, with 1/3 of them up for election every two years.
Chrill

Post by Chrill »

Ameecher wrote:
Drury wrote:Trump is doing a 180 it seems. Says the hostility saddens him.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/good-people- ... 24898.html

Let's not forget a couple of months ago he said "I'll pay your legal fees I promise you if you smack people like that"

And another reminder how weak both candidates really were, visual this time.

One deduction (and I'm not saying it is right) could be that Trump want popular, just Clinton was deeply unpopular - afterall, Republican votes didn't change much.
These stats are slightly misleading however. Hillary Clinton's total is currently something like 62.5 million votes (Trump has 61.3ish) which makes her the most voted for candidate in history except Obama. Obama secured 69 million votes at most, so that's a difference of about 7.5 million to Hillary Clinton's 2016 run. Bill Clinton, George Bush (or Al Gore for that matter, who also won the popular vote) never secured as many votes as Hillary Clinton.

Obama's 2008 campaign simply made people go vote in an unprecedented fashion. Trump is the second most voted for Republican candidate of all time, beating Mitt Romney and McCain but only just behind Bush in 2004. See below for my super awesome skills in Paint. Then again, these bars only count from 52 million upwards so the difference between the various election years appear larger than it really is.
superawesomepaintsksills.png
superawesomepaintsksills.png (97.44 KiB) Viewed 1720 times
EDIT: Or this awesome graph I made. I love Excel.
US_election.PNG
US_election.PNG (9.11 KiB) Viewed 1719 times
My Scenarios:
Archipiélago Hermoso (Latest Release: Version 3.2)
Turnpike Falls (Latest Release: Version 0.91)
supermop
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by supermop »

TimeLapse1357 wrote:
supermop wrote:Also, call your representatives - regardless of party they do work for you, and their office will listen to your calls. If push comes to shove, it is a lot easier for a congressman to stand up for something when thousands of the voters he needs in less than two years are calling him.
That is true for Congress, but senators serve a 6-year term, with 1/3 of them up for election every two years.
Of Course - that's why I said to call representatives, not senators. (while it is common to call representatives congressmen colloquially, technically congress refers to both the house and senate). Because of their more proportional and local representation and shorter terms, I've found it is much easier to get the ear of a representative and make your voice heard. I have called the office of my senator before, but in my experience, you're more likely to get a response from a member of the house.
alluke
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by alluke »

The butthurt in this thread is so heart-warming. :) Trump was better from two bad choices, deal with it. And Hillary is a criminal who belongs into jail.
Redirect Left
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Redirect Left »

Trumps chosen cabinet so far is hilarious. The one for the Environment is a Global Warming denier, so that's going to go down well. Also the CEO of Exxon, i'm sure he's going to be entirely impartial in all his dealings.
Need some good tested AI? - Unofficial AI Tester, list of good stuff & thread is here.
Train<In>Vain
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Train<In>Vain »

It only hurts if it's true...
Attachments
Red.png
Red.png (480.8 KiB) Viewed 1607 times
Donald.gif
Donald.gif (1.97 MiB) Viewed 1607 times
Rookie of the Year: 2004, 2005, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015 & 2016
Chris
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Chris »

alluke wrote:The butthurt in this thread is so heart-warming. :) Trump was better from two bad choices, deal with it. And Hillary is a criminal who belongs into jail.
So tell me why Clinton won the popular vote by a pretty large margin?
Screenshots

Formerly Class 165
Drury
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Drury »

Chris wrote:
alluke wrote:The butthurt in this thread is so heart-warming. :) Trump was better from two bad choices, deal with it. And Hillary is a criminal who belongs into jail.
So tell me why Clinton won the popular vote by a pretty large margin?
Because CNN never told anyone that she belongs in jail.

Only dumb people quote themselves, and only the truest retards put such quotes in their forum signatures
-Drury
uzurpator
Transport Empire Moderator

Post by uzurpator »

Chris wrote:So tell me why Clinton won the popular vote by a pretty large margin?
Because the american electoral system both incentivises people to vote for a candidate that is likely to win in a given state and at the same time disincentivises the opposite. Apart from a few, in most states the winner takes all electoral votes. That is why, say, republican turnover in California is lower then one could expect, because California is going to be democrat state anyways.

The opposite is true, for, let's say, Texas.

In short - winning a popular vote is not an argument. If US system was a direct one then vote relation would be different. Of course it could be a landslide for any of the candidates.
All art and vehicle stats I authored for TT and derivatives are as of now PUBLIC DOMAIN! Use as you see fit
Just say NO to the TT fan-art sprite licensing madness. Public domain your art as well.
Chrill

Post by Chrill »

uzurpator wrote:Because the american electoral system both incentivises people to vote for a candidate that is likely to win in a given state and at the same time disincentivises the opposite. Apart from a few, in most states the winner takes all electoral votes. That is why, say, republican turnover in California is lower then one could expect, because California is going to be democrat state anyways.

The opposite is true, for, let's say, Texas.

In short - winning a popular vote is not an argument. If US system was a direct one then vote relation would be different. Of course it could be a landslide for any of the candidates.
This. Popular vote would arguably be the fair way to select a President, but under the current system the popular vote is misleading. Democrats in California won't be as likely to go vote, nor will Republicans in that same state. If you live in a swing state, you will vote for your candidate. If you don't, you are likely to sit the election out.

Had there been a popular vote system in use in USA, I believe Clinton and Trump both would secure millions more votes. Would the outcome be different? Perhaps. All candidates chose to run their campaigns in swing states. Had popular vote been in action, they would have been active in the larger states instead.
My Scenarios:
Archipiélago Hermoso (Latest Release: Version 3.2)
Turnpike Falls (Latest Release: Version 0.91)
supermop
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by supermop »

alluke wrote:The butthurt in this thread is so heart-warming. :) Trump was better from two bad choices, deal with it.
We are dealing with it - by organizing to fight regressive policies. I know what I want from my government, and those of us who can are going to do what we can over the next few years to make the best of a bad situation, and help those who don't have the same privileges I do. I don't know what the various Europeans on this thread expect from Trump or the American Left, but for us Americans who will be directly affected by domestic policies, this isn't an issue of whining about some contest. We are wary of changes that may directly negatively affect us - so we have an obligation to make a good faith effort to mitigate any potential damage. I am sorry if my concern for my ability to afford health insurance offends you.
alluke wrote:And Hillary is a criminal who belongs into jail.
Care to explain which felonies Hillary has been convicted of, or charged of, or for which there is any evidence of? I was happy to support Hillary even though she by no means had my ideal political platform now or in the past. But there has never been a real credible criminal allegation against her that isn't just a fevered fantasy of the right. From the Benghazi nonsense to the delirious, dangerous insanity of 'Pizzagate', I don't know what these people are going to do now that they won't have the Clintons to focus on anymore...

I'm going to keep donating what I can, advocating for progressive policy, and demonstrating in solidarity when needed. Please let me know why this bothers you, I'm happy to explain my position and hopes further.

Best,
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

supermop wrote:
alluke wrote:The butthurt in this thread is so heart-warming. :) Trump was better from two bad choices, deal with it.
We are dealing with it - by organizing to fight regressive policies. I know what I want from my government, and those of us who can are going to do what we can over the next few years to make the best of a bad situation, and help those who don't have the same privileges I do. I don't know what the various Europeans on this thread expect from Trump or the American Left, but for us Americans who will be directly affected by domestic policies, this isn't an issue of whining about some contest. We are wary of changes that may directly negatively affect us - so we have an obligation to make a good faith effort to mitigate any potential damage. I am sorry if my concern for my ability to afford health insurance offends you.
Care to explain which felonies Hillary has been convicted of, or charged of, or for which there is any evidence of? I was happy to support Hillary even though she by no means had my ideal political platform now or in the past. But there has never been a real credible criminal allegation against her that isn't just a fevered fantasy of the right. From the Benghazi nonsense to the delirious, dangerous insanity of 'Pizzagate', I don't know what these people are going to do now that they won't have the Clintons to focus on anymore...

I'm going to keep donating what I can, advocating for progressive policy, and demonstrating in solidarity when needed. Please let me know why this bothers you, I'm happy to explain my position and hopes further.

Best,
You said everything I was going to. So I'll second everything that was said.
Train<In>Vain
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Train<In>Vain »

supermop wrote:

Best,
According to my training and duties as a security operative, assigned to the U.S. Department of State with TS security clearance, negligent handling of classified information is, if not a crime, at the minimum a disqualification for any position of leadership in the U.S. government.

In any case I'm surprised that any "progressive" would support a candidate who facilitated the destruction of an African country and laughed about it.
Rookie of the Year: 2004, 2005, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015 & 2016
uzurpator

Post by uzurpator »

Train<In>Vain wrote: According to my training and duties as a security operative, assigned to the U.S. Department of State with TS security clearance, negligent handling of classified information is, if not a crime, at the minimum a disqualification for any position of leadership in the U.S. government.

In any case I'm surprised that any "progressive" would support a candidate who facilitated the destruction of an African country and laughed about it.
So much this. Flippant treatment of TS data at best disqualifies anyone from holding a position of power and at worst a basis for treason charges. People were _executed_ for that. Hillary got a slap on the wrist.
All art and vehicle stats I authored for TT and derivatives are as of now PUBLIC DOMAIN! Use as you see fit
Just say NO to the TT fan-art sprite licensing madness. Public domain your art as well.

Return to “Off-Topic”