Chill's patchpack v14_7

Forum for technical discussions regarding development. If you have a general suggestion, problem or comment, please use one of the other forums.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

MagicBuzz
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: Chill's patchpack v14_7

Post by MagicBuzz »

Hello ChillCore.

I have a question : do you still maintain up to date patches in your patchpack, or do you just fix problems in the version "as this".

I have a problem with cardodist patch I guess, but I'm not sure it's the lastest version in your patchpack, so I don't know where to ask for help...

Here is the problem... or are the problems :

1/ The graph looks like to be recalculated sometimes without according any attention about the network, cities distance ou history. As a result, with the same quantity of cargo transported other the time, some month my compagny earns millions, and sometimes it looses millions. When I take an attentive look at the destionation, I see many people wanting to go to the middle of nowhere, and they must take 4 or 5 trains... As a result they travel for a two long time. It's not realistic at all. When a line is between two metropoles, there isn't any passenger wanting to travel beetween them, but everybody wants to go at the farest and smallest station in the world. Strange.

2/ Sometimes, it looks like the graph just crash and the trains looks like to be completely stuck : I a station, I have hundreds passengers waiting to go at any station. But all my trains remain empty ! Not any passenger take it ? Why ?
Attachments
Biarritz Transport, 1966-07-23.png
(565.29 KiB) Downloaded 5 times
strange.sav
(1.66 MiB) Downloaded 104 times
YNM
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by YNM »

kamnet wrote:Considering it's on the non-drive through lorry station, pretty hard to get a train there to wreck them. I can't use the cheat bulldozer to clear it in any mode, can't edit it in scenario editor... :-/
Hmmm... is it some kind of siding ?
MagicBuzz wrote:2. Sometimes, it looks like the graph just crash and the trains looks like to be completely stuck : I a station, I have hundreds passengers waiting to go at any station. But all my trains remain empty ! Not any passenger take it ? Why ?
The Cargodist used in ChilPP is quite old, but it seems like fonso have something to talk about it, because many of the latest trunk have some kind of similiar error.
YNM = yoursNotMine - Don't get it ?
「ヨーッスノットマイン」もと申します。
ChillCore
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by ChillCore »

Kamnet, it is even worse then I thought ... that station has at least 4 ambulances belonging to company 4 alone in it.
I had this silly "what-if" idea so I started clicking some vehicles with nrs close to 21 and 22. I was right and 25 and 26 are there too.
Another thing I am going to test in a bit is letting the company go bankrupt to see if something is still hiding underneath.

Silly me would like to try and disable vehicle queueing but I can not find the setting right away.

Hello MagicBuzz. ;)
In "Advanced settings->Linkgraph->Effect of distance on demand" you can tune the effect of distance of demand.
Toy a bit with that setting untill the passengers choose destinations closer by too.

As for your other issue ... I have not yet loaded your game, will do in a bit.

YNM,
Besides CargoDist being rather old in my patchpack it is 5 versions or so in 1 and then I still made modifications.

A link to the discussion about current trunk discussion would be very much apreciated.
I'd rather have fonso do his thing on trunk instead of him looking at my patchpack if you do not mind, what I have here is totally outdated in comparison. ;)

@ All,
yes I still apreciate savegames and bugreports very much,
However, at the moment I can not promise that your issues will be dealt with in a timely manner.
I am very sorry about that, I'll do my best, but that is the way it is atm.
-- .- -.-- / - .... . / ..-. --- .-. -.-. . / -... . / .-- .. - .... / -.-- --- ..- .-.-.-
--- .... / -.-- . .- .... --..-- / .- -. -.. / .--. .-. .- .. ... . / - .... . / .-.. --- .-. -.. / ..-. --- .-. / .... . / --. .- ...- . / ..- ... / -.-. .... --- --- -.-. .... --- --- ... .-.-.- / ---... .--.

Playing with my patchpack? Ask questions on usage and report bugs in the correct thread first, please.
All included patches have been modified and are no longer 100% original.
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

ChillCore wrote:Another thing I am going to test in a bit is letting the company go bankrupt to see if something is still hiding underneath.
Or, since it's an AI as well, just reload the AI! I dunno why I didn't think of that earlier.
ChillCore wrote:That station has at least 4 ambulances belonging to company 4 alone in it. I had this silly "what-if" idea so I started clicking some vehicles with nrs close to 21 and 22. I was right and 25 and 26 are there too.
When I reset the AI for player 4, there were no other vehicles underneath it. Vehicles 25 and 26 for player four are the two stuck mail trucks. The other two vehicles at that tile are player 3's #66 and 67, both of which I could turn around and clear.

Well, if you want to keep looking to figure out why those two mail trucks are perpetually stuck, I'd like to know the answer myself, but simply resetting the AI and starting over works just as well for me. It's not too much work to restore my network since I know exactly what I want that player to be doing.
ChillCore
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by ChillCore »

Be aware that the situation is way way worse then I imagined Kamnet.
If resetting company 4 fixes the issue for all the other stations too, that have the same problem, then that might be a solution for now.

I stil want to have another look because things like this should not happen ... not ever. :cry:
I still remember you starting that game ...

MagicBuzz,
have a look at the attached screenshot,
You may want to tune the settings to your likings though, I just reduced the highlighted values to what you see without the intent to tune. ;)

Edit:
Them nrs being down like that is after a bit of Fast Forward while I was doing something else
Attachments
Biarritz Transport, 1968-01-13.png
Biarritz Transport, 1968-01-13.png (10.93 KiB) Viewed 773 times
-- .- -.-- / - .... . / ..-. --- .-. -.-. . / -... . / .-- .. - .... / -.-- --- ..- .-.-.-
--- .... / -.-- . .- .... --..-- / .- -. -.. / .--. .-. .- .. ... . / - .... . / .-.. --- .-. -.. / ..-. --- .-. / .... . / --. .- ...- . / ..- ... / -.-. .... --- --- -.-. .... --- --- ... .-.-.- / ---... .--.

Playing with my patchpack? Ask questions on usage and report bugs in the correct thread first, please.
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

Or, perhaps, that DID NOT fix the issue. I've re-loaded player 4 with BorkAI instead of Road AI. Take a look at road vehicle #2, which is from the Russian Truck set. This vehicle, also, has now stopped entering the lorry station, just like the Eyecandy RV vehicle did previously. The road is connected, other vehicles were entering just fine.

http://kam-net.com/ottd/kamnet2-1980-01-07.sav

NOTE: I just saw your latest post after I made mine. EEP. :-/ This doesn't sound like good news.
ChillCore
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by ChillCore »

I see the roadvehicle does not even enter the roadstop ... hmm.

I did hack savegames before to remove invalid stuff with brute force (afterload.cpp), but that was nothing compared to this.
No need to panic just yet but indeed it does not look good atm.

kamnet

Post by kamnet »

Don't get too mad at me, folks, if this causes ChillCore to pull out his hair, throw up his hands and swear off coding for good, choosing instead to trek to a remote monastery in Budapest to live out his days... just think of me as somebody who has a talent for pushing extreme edge cases. ;-)
3iff
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by 3iff »

Well, it is an interesting case and I'd like to know what is happening too...but I'll leave that work to people who know what they're doing.
ChillCore
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by ChillCore »

Kamnet wrote: Don't get too mad at me, folks, if this causes ChillCore to pull out his hair, throw up his hands and swear off coding for good, choosing instead to trek to a remote monastery in Budapest to live out his days... just think of me as somebody who has a talent for pushing extreme edge cases. ;-)
And I already have not that much hair left Kamnet.
But swear of coding ... never ... I have been doing this since the Spectrum ZX81 was still new.
I do take a break from time to time, as I am doing now ... hmm was.

3iff wrote: Well, it is an interesting case and I'd like to know what is happening too...but I'll leave that work to people who know what they're doing.
Now you are assuming I have a clue what I am doing 3iff.
Nevertheless, yes I am curious too.
Feel free to have a look at Kamnets savegame too, many eyes see much more then 1 and a half.

TinyMusic
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: Problem w/ stuck vehicles

Post by TinyMusic »

kamnet wrote:Well, I haven't needed help in a long time, but we'll see if somebody can fix it. I've got a lorry station owned by Player 1, that has two vehicles on it from Player 4, where both vehicles appear to have broken down simultaneously and need to go to maintenance, but can't bypass each other. WARNING: TONS of NewGRFs here, but the relevant one are the two involved vehicles, which are the mail trucks from SuperCheese's Eyecandy Road Vehicles.

http://kam-net.com/ottd/kamnet-1980-01-01.sav for the file
I can't open that file; if I try to click 'open file' or click 'find missing content online' the game crashes immediately :?
Formerly known as UseYourIllusion.
Java Scenario Found Here - Version 2 out
[tweɪ̂ pû tɕʰì wɔ̀ mǐlɤ lû tɕʰìŋ nì pɑ́ŋmɑ̌ŋ]
kamnet

Re: Problem w/ stuck vehicles

Post by kamnet »

UseYourIllusion wrote:
I can't open that file; if I try to click 'open file' or click 'find missing content online' the game crashes immediately :?
Yes, ChillCore mentioned this several posts ago. You many need to manually locate some of the NewGRFs that he listed below.
Kamnet_save_missing.png
Kamnet_save_missing.png (11.88 KiB) Viewed 3651 times
ChillCore
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by ChillCore »

Hmm ... yeah forgot about that.

I have the scenario_developers tools on, so I can load savegames while missing content.
As the issue is unrelated to NewGRF it seems you can have a look and mess with buttons as much as you want.
turn of the setting when you are done

NOTE
This can and will cause additional errors in the savegame.
Whatever you do do not save that game and certainly do not post it back to the forum.
It will be useless anyway as soon as you unpause that game, as in the very next tick.

@evrybody not looking at Kamnet's savegame,
If otherwise you do not need these tools do not turn them on.
You will mess up your own savegame at one point and noone will be able to help.

ps:
Just some clarification on the above because I know someone is looking ...
Suckered one in ...
Hi Mr.Bobi. :mrgreen:

TinyMusic
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by TinyMusic »

Can't you send us the GRF files, and if we put them in the 'data' or 'newgrf' folder, would it work? It would take a long time to find some of those NewGRFs, since I suspect that some are not in Bananas.
ChillCore
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by ChillCore »

I do not need those NewGRF to look at the savegame.
Some NewGRF do not allow sharing.

Therefore I do not ask for them neither when I do not need them.

Edit:
many can be found on bananas or either here on the forums.

TinyMusic
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by TinyMusic »

ChillCore wrote:I do not need those NewGRF to look at the savegame.
Some NewGRF do not allow sharing.

Therefore I do not ask for them neither when I do not need them.
It crashed when I tried it that way as well. I renamed the file extension to .scn, and I went to Scenario Editor and when I tried to open it, it crashed.
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

Most of them can be found if you're willing to look for them. There are three which cannot be (wsf7.grf, fakeapv2.1 & fakeap3) nor can I distribute them, but they're not currently being used in the game anyhow, you're not missing anything.
ChillCore
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by ChillCore »

Ok, step by step.

- Rename your scenario back to .sav
- While openttd is closed find the setting I mentioned above in the config file.
- Start openttd and load the game normally.
- If it still crashes you need to find the missing NewGRF untill it no longer crashes.
- If it loads mess with the savegame.
- Exit openttd
- Disable the setting in your config file.

This is the only safe way to proceed.
Note, if you have autosave on you may be overwriting you backups while looking at the game.

Sure you want to continue?

3iff
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by 3iff »

Chillcore wrote:Now you are assuming I have a clue what I am doing 3iff.
Nevertheless, yes I am curious too.
Feel free to have a look at Kamnets savegame too, many eyes see much more then 1 and a half.
I think it's reasonable to assume you do know a bit about what you're doing...
Unfortunately, too many newgrfs to hunt down, otherwise I would have had a look.
The savegame did crash when I used it to locate the missing grfs so I gave up at that point.
ChillCore
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by ChillCore »

Yeah I did al ot of hunting the last couple of years.

The bunch of NewGRF I have just copied here exceeds 2.7GB ...
I received maybe ... 10 or so NewGRF in all that time?

Return to “OpenTTD Development”