Saying hello to all and a question

OpenTTD is a fully open-sourced reimplementation of TTD, written in C++, boasting improved gameplay and many new features.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

Tattoo
Director
Director

Re: Saying hello to all and a question

Post by Tattoo »

Oh yeah, I forgot to say something about the grf's. I don't know which ones I really like yet except for the HEQ, total Town replacement, Industrial Stations Renewal, long Vehicles, US Town names and US Train Set. I'm still getting to know which are what. But I like playing an easy game where I can build what I want without limits. I might get into restricking things later but I don't know.

When I was checking out all the vehicles in the HEQ set, I setup a depot and a truck bay for a forest and one at the sawmill. I went down the list one after the other to see each one as it loaded and had a second depot for it to end at. While I was watching the trucks come back from unloading the faster trucks came up behind the slower ones and actually changed lanes and passed it up. Now in the original game all the vehicles would just be stuck behind the slower vehicle and follow along until the slow one turned. To see one truck pass another was kewl. I didn't think that could be done nor have I seen that before. The HEQ I would have to say is my favorite next to the Industrial Stations Renewal. I like how the stations themselve load up and unload with material or goods.

Tattoo
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
: : = FYRA v250 = : : = AU NSW 86 Class Electric Locomotive = : : = AU QR EDI Bombadier IMU/SMU Trainset = : : = B-Class & VicPass = : : = MSTS Scotsman = : : = US Semi Trucks Pack = : :
: : = Steel Bridge = : : = Tube Bridge = : : = 2 New Earth Slopes = : : = Default Bridges w/ New Slopes added = : : = Camera Angles for Shape Viewer = : : = EU Semi Trucks Pack = : : = US Tank Cars 56' = : :
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
Tattoo
Director
Director

Post by Tattoo »

Here's a screenshot of the station I'm playing with right now. I like having the extra track atthe entrance like it is if I can. The trainshave a place to go intead of bunching up.

Now that I just learned more about the signals I'm starting a new one today to see how they work.
: : = FYRA v250 = : : = AU NSW 86 Class Electric Locomotive = : : = AU QR EDI Bombadier IMU/SMU Trainset = : : = B-Class & VicPass = : : = MSTS Scotsman = : : = US Semi Trucks Pack = : :
: : = Steel Bridge = : : = Tube Bridge = : : = 2 New Earth Slopes = : : = Default Bridges w/ New Slopes added = : : = Camera Angles for Shape Viewer = : : = EU Semi Trucks Pack = : : = US Tank Cars 56' = : :
Sande
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Sande »

Don't make so sharp turns. Trains will slow down a lot becasue of it.
Make at least 3 diagonal tracks instead of 1.

Also, the long tracks work better when they are at the end of station not before it.
Tattoo
Director
Director

Post by Tattoo »

Make at least 3 diagonal tracks instead of 1.
I can understand that. Thanks for the tip. but;
Also, the long tracks work better when they are at the end of station not before it.
What purpose would they have at the back of the station? I have to disagree. I have them in front so the trains have a place to go instead of bunching up at the entrance to the station...
Alberth
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by Alberth »

When all platforms are full, you want them to wait before the crossing, so they will pick the first empty platform, instead of making a choice, get stuck, and then getting blocked while the neighbouring platform is free for ages.

By putting the free space afterwards, platforms are cleared faster, so new trains always have a free platform.
Tattoo
Director
Director

Post by Tattoo »

Oh ok. I can understand that. But I did this way because it worked good for this particular station. I can se and/or understand what you are talking about because what you said is just what I said a couple posts before about how the signaling works. But I tried it your way and the trains were backed up on the main rail line. So what I made works for this station. What I was thinking was to make an area similar, did I spell that right, to the long track in front of the station. I sort of holding area like when you go to a currency or bank. Ya know what I mean?

Either way, I do now understand why Sande said that originally. Thank you. I'm past that right now tho. I'm looking for a grf tutorial that explains how one would make a new .grf. I use grfwizard to decode or encode them now so I can see what's what with them but I'm wanting to try one for myself. I want to change a bridge to my liking and don't know what all the numbers mean in the info file. I do know that the numbers on each row means the coordinates for that sprite. I mean the numbers or whatever that makes it work... I have a couple ideas I want to explore...

Any suggestions?

Thanx

Tattoo
FooBar
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by FooBar »

For creating NewGRF, your bible is here: http://wiki.ttdpatch.net/tiki-index.php ... phicsSpecs

The best way to get started is just by trial-and-error and by looking at other's work (don't copy something from some other grf and publish without asking permission first!).
For bridges you're somewhat lucky, as I added a lot of information on that subject last year and I might be able to give you some advice here and there as well.
Tattoo
Director
Director

Post by Tattoo »

Thank you sir. Right before I checked to se a reply to this I went into the graphics section forum and opened that exact link. Now I can explore...
Roujin
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Roujin »

Wow, that's a steep path you're taking there - right from understanding pre-signals to coding newgrfs? :shock: :lol:

PS: not wanting to discourage you, I'm just a little astonished :mrgreen:
* @Belugas wonders what is worst... a mom or a wife...
<Lakie> Well, they do the same thing but the code is different.

ImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Tattoo
Director
Director

Post by Tattoo »

Yeah, I'm like that. I can't sit still very long on one thing. I get an idea and I run with it. :)
That's how I was when I got into Doom. Then Quake. Someone I knew setup a bbs with Doom where we played and he showed me that lavels can be changed and I ran with it. That's how I got a level into the original CTF expantion project that Zoid made. I don't know if anyone here played Quake but I made 'The Warzone' along with a few others. Like I said, I get an idea and run with. I'm not a programmer or claim to be genious. I'm a bricklayer that's a video game junkie. I bought a computer and just went to town, so to say...

Tattoo
Roujin
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Roujin »

I don't know if anyone here played Quake but I made 'The Warzone' along with a few others.[...]
Nope sorry, doesn't ring a bell..
But about grf coding... I just dipped into it myself a bit, since I wanted to test out some new possibility in OpenTTD.
(Just in case you're interested: just about 34 hours ago it was made possible for newgrf road vehicles to have top speeds of up to 318 mph (formerly max. 79 mph in OpenTTD ;)), so I hacked some newgrf a bit to see it happening :))
I'm kind of an OpenTTD addict, always reading the changelog to see what interesting stuff has just been added :mrgreen:

ImageImage
Tattoo
Director
Director

Post by Tattoo »

just about 34 hours ago it was made possible for newgrf road vehicles to have top speeds of up to 318 mph
Holy Moly, I bet that would be kewl. Maybe you can make em have an accident and crash into a couple buildings and wipe em out. I can see the headline now, "75 passengers died in fiery crash as Greyhound bus # 3 wiped out taking a corner to fast at Union Square!!!" hehe
andythenorth
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by andythenorth »

Tattoo wrote:Thank you. I'm past that right now tho. I'm looking for a grf tutorial that explains how one would make a new .grf.
I found Pikka's tutorial useful. It's not complete, but it's friendly on the basics:
http://users.tt-forums.net/pikka/wiki/i ... FO_Editing

cheers,

Andy
Tattoo
Director
Director

Post by Tattoo »

Thank you for the link, andythenorth. That's exactly what I needed. I've been messing with GRFWizard for a couple days and figured a few things out already. I couldn't understand what eveything meant tho. That link helped out A LOT...

Right now I'm working on adding titlesto the grf's in the grf pack so I can know what's what. There are just som= damn many that I can't make out which is which so I came up with something that works good. What is kewl is that if the grf isn't the one that was used originally, the game loads one that is comparable to the one needed. I played a couple scenarios and I guess the grf's wereold ones or something. So I tried to add titles to each grf and they all seem to work the same. So this is A LOT easier for me this way. I even found one that didn't show up on the list. It was trkfoundw.grf. So I just added some info to it so I can check it out. Here's a screenshot so ya know what I mean. A few actually..

http://i389.photobucket.com/albums/oo33 ... List-1.png
http://i389.photobucket.com/albums/oo33 ... List-2.png
http://i389.photobucket.com/albums/oo33 ... List-3.png
http://i389.photobucket.com/albums/oo33 ... List-4.png

I named em like they are in the folders of the pack. I have one more to do and I'm done. Let me know what ya think.

Tattoo
Roujin
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Roujin »

I think that about the same could (and should) be archieved by changing the source code of OpenTTD to have the "add newgrf" window behave like the save/load window. e.g. display directories (data folder as base) and the newgrfs in the currently opened directory, instead of displaying all newgrfs in data and all subdirectories in one long list as it is now.

(sorry, nothing against your effort, what you made is nice for yourself, but you can't distribute those altered grfs and also I think you cannot join multiplayer games with those altered grfs, that will probably require the _exact_ same .grf)

ImageImage
Tattoo
Director
Director

Post by Tattoo »

I think that about the same could (and should) be archieved by changing the source code of OpenTTD
I wouldn't know how to do all that but that would be a good idea.
but you can't distribute those altered grfs
I didn't intend on distrubuting them. I did that so I know for myself what all the diferent grf's are and what there is in there. This way here I can try different ones and know what I have to work with.
also I think you cannot join multiplayer games with those altered grfs, that will probably require the _exact_ same .grf
Yes, you are correct. I just tried to get into a multiplayer game and I cannot.
That's ok. I can copy over the original pack when I play online. Like I said, I just did it so I knew for 'myself' what there is in there. This way I don't have to search thru the list for what I want to find.

Return to “General OpenTTD”