Snow Sheds for OpenTTD?

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

JustMoreMemes
Engineer
Engineer

Snow Sheds for OpenTTD?

Post by JustMoreMemes »

I was building a railway line through some steep mountain passes in an 1800s American-themed run, and it reminded me of the Rollins Pass route once used as a railroad. On that pass, along with many others, snow sheds were built to protect railway tracks from the elements. I feel like these would be really cool to have as decoration, presumably coded as station tiles or waypoints. (ideally the latter considering JGR has an option to hide the waypoint labels.)

I might try to draw some graphics for it and reverse engineer a waypoint set to get them implimented, but if anyone is aware of an exiting GRF for these I'd gladly download it.

Here are some examples of what I mean:
Quast65
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: Snow Sheds for OpenTTD?

Post by Quast65 »

Cool idea!
The only thing you need is a bit of an overlap/extension to reach the mountainslope and make that look good, worth a try!

I dont believe there are any GRFs that have this kind of feature.
Projects: http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=57266
Screenshots: http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?f=47&t=56959
Scenario of The Netherlands: viewtopic.php?f=60&t=87604

Winner of the following screenshot competitions:
sep 2012, jan 2013, apr 2013, aug 2013, mar 2014, mar 2016, oct 2020
All my work is released under GPL-license (either V2 or V3), if not clearly stated otherwise.
JustMoreMemes
Engineer
Engineer

Post by JustMoreMemes »

Quast65 wrote: 25 Apr 2024 22:06 Cool idea!
The only thing you need is a bit of an overlap/extension to reach the mountainslope and make that look good, worth a try!

I dont believe there are any GRFs that have this kind of feature.
That's a good point, I'm not exactly sure how I'd go about adding that as I'm still very inexperienced with OpenTTD. I was thinking I could edit ISR-style Waypoints for my prototype since it's snow aware but I don't know if I could edit the sprite sizes to make it overlap. Do you think you could show me how you edit sprite sizes for a NewGRF?
JustMoreMemes
Engineer
Engineer

Post by JustMoreMemes »

I found a primitive solution for the meantime, by retexturing a slope aware object I can create a companion piece to go with the main snow shed sprite that'll sit on the slope without creating a foundation. I'll start by trying to get a prototype working in this method.
JustMoreMemes
Engineer
Engineer

Post by JustMoreMemes »

Snow shed object WIP.png
Snow shed object WIP.png (23.44 KiB) Viewed 687 times
I've made a rough sprite here for the sloped part of the snow shed that will be on the mountain tile next to the tracks. It needs some work and I'm gonna try to reduce the colours a bit as it's a little overcoloured. I'm having some trouble finding a waypoint set to modify though as all of them seem to split their waypoints up into pieces, with my skill level I need something that only uses a single sprite and covers the entire tile.
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

They reason the graphics are split up is because if it's just a single sprite you'll get very horrible glitching.
JustMoreMemes
Engineer
Engineer

Post by JustMoreMemes »

kamnet wrote: 26 Apr 2024 02:31 They reason the graphics are split up is because if it's just a single sprite you'll get very horrible glitching.
That makes sense, I just wonder how I'd go about splitting a snow shed into pieces to create a sprite in that style...
Quast65
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Quast65 »

The reason they are split up is because you have a part that goes in front of the track (so that can cover up a passing train)
and a part that goes at the back of a track (that can be covered up by a passing train)

Depending on what side the mountain will be on, that is the sprite you need to enlarge.

The easiest is just get started, try to make a simple 2 sided platformed station/waypoint first.
Then look what sprite needs to be enlarged, adjust the code (position of the graphic in the graphicsfile and its size).
Then you will see that the offset in game is probably incorrect, adjust that then too in the code (that can take some time, but once you figure out how it works, it aint that hard).

Dont start out with pretty graphics, just use simple shapes first. Get the graphics-templates and code correct first and then start drawing ;-)

I have not yet coded stations/waypoints in NML just yet (only in NFO), so I cant help you on your way with that...
Projects: http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=57266
Screenshots: http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?f=47&t=56959
Scenario of The Netherlands: viewtopic.php?f=60&t=87604

Winner of the following screenshot competitions:
sep 2012, jan 2013, apr 2013, aug 2013, mar 2014, mar 2016, oct 2020
All my work is released under GPL-license (either V2 or V3), if not clearly stated otherwise.

Return to “Graphics Development”