FIRS Industry Replacement Set - releases

Find and discuss all the latest NewGRF releases for TTDPatch and OpenTTD here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

Ethereal
Engineer
Engineer

Re: FIRS Industry Replacement Set - v1.2.0 5th June 2013

Post by Ethereal »

sprotion wrote:Is there a way to make the world generation faster on 1000x1000 maps? It takes like 10 minutes. :(
That seems to be your CPU, because i can make it on 2048x2048 on less than 30s
sprotion
Engineer
Engineer

Post by sprotion »

andythenorth wrote:
sprotion wrote:Is there a way to make the world generation faster on 1000x1000 maps? It takes like 10 minutes. :(
Buy a faster computer? :shock:

For me, with FIRS in the newgrf list, and industries 'high', world generation takes
- 5 seconds on 1024x1024
- 28 seconds on 2048x2048

About 30% of that time spent is generating industries, the other major elements are: towns, rivers, and the tile loop.

FIRS was explicitly designed to not slow down world generation much.

Can you post your newgrf list and some basic hardware spec (CPU speed etc)? :wink:
It only chugs when I have FIRS on. I have an Athlon X3 which is probably outdated by now. :oops:
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

I play on a much older and slower Intel Quad Core 6600. It takes a large 2048x2048 map with almost 80 NewGRFs before I start seeing issues w/ slowdown. but, even then, it only takes maybe 2 minutes to generate a map, not 10. Most of that is waiting for trees to be planted.
pi1985
Engineer
Engineer

Post by pi1985 »

I'm playing Spring2013 patchpack with firs 1.2 with "town needs goods" feature enabled.
I see town needs water, but there no cargo named water.
town needs water!
town needs water!
Unnamed, 2006-01-01.png (26.69 KiB) Viewed 4031 times
Moreover, the cargo named "Goods" in town behaves like "water" and cargo named "Petrol" behaves like "Goods".
Image.
Alberth
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by Alberth »

At first sight it look likes a bug in the patch pack.

FIRS only knows about cargoes that it uses, so it would not be able to output such cargo names.
The fact that you get them means that some other part of the software provides that text.

Please ask the authors of the patch pack.
planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by planetmaker »

pi1985 wrote:I'm playing Spring2013 patchpack with firs 1.2 with "town needs goods" feature enabled.
I see town needs water, but there no cargo named water.
Unnamed, 2006-01-01.png
Moreover, the cargo named "Goods" in town behaves like "water" and cargo named "Petrol" behaves like "Goods".
Unless you can reproduce the funky behaviour without the patch pack, I very much would think that it's the patch pack's fault by assuming cargo slots to be a certain cargo. That assumption breaks with every industry NewGRF.

The feature you show is available in trunk by means of game scripts - and then it can work properly. You might want to look at game scripts like the "CityBuilder" or "Neighbours are Important"

EDIT: Alberth was faster :-)
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

Alberth wrote:At first sight it look likes a bug in the patch pack.

FIRS only knows about cargoes that it uses, so it would not be able to output such cargo names.
The fact that you get them means that some other part of the software provides that text.

Please ask the authors of the patch pack.
pi1985 would be the author of the patch pack. :D
pi1985
Engineer
Engineer

Post by pi1985 »

Alberth wrote:it look likes a bug in the patch pack.
Well, let's look at the source of FIRS.

Code: Select all

$ cat goods.py 
from cargo import Cargo

cargo = Cargo(id = 'goods',
              cargo_classes = 'bitmask(CC_EXPRESS)',
              cargo_label = '"GOOD"',
              town_growth_effect = 'TOWNGROWTH_WATER',
              town_growth_multiplier = '1.0',
$

Code: Select all

$ cat petrol.py 
from cargo import Cargo

cargo = Cargo(id = 'petrol',
              cargo_classes = 'bitmask(CC_LIQUID)',
              cargo_label = '"PETR"',
              town_growth_effect = 'TOWNGROWTH_GOODS',
              town_growth_multiplier = '1.0',
$
Naturally, it's a bug in patchpack, because it have to change CargoSpec::town_effect of cargo with CargoSpec::label = 'GOOD' to TE_GOODS and for cargo with CargoSpec::label = 'PETR' to TE_NONE if FIRS was loaded. :)
Image.
planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by planetmaker »

pi1985 wrote:
Alberth wrote:it look likes a bug in the patch pack.
Well, let's look at the source of FIRS.(...)
Naturally, it's a bug in patchpack, because it have to change CargoSpec::town_effect of cargo with CargoSpec::label = 'GOOD' to TE_GOODS and for cargo with CargoSpec::label = 'PETR' to TE_NONE if FIRS was loaded. :)
Yes, you should not hard code the cargos but accept the NewGRF's choice and display the appropriate cargo(s) for each town effect. That part is deliberatly choice of the NewGRFs. Mind that there can be even more than one cargo which has TE_GOODS or TE_WATER.
pi1985
Engineer
Engineer

Post by pi1985 »

I'm not overriding cargo properties from NewGRFs. But I've been surprised when delivered goods turned to water.
Image.
planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by planetmaker »

pi1985 wrote:I'm not overriding cargo properties from NewGRFs. But I've been surprised when delivered goods turned to water.
I did not say that and did not mean to say that :-)

But FIRS does assign the *effect* of water and goods have in the default game to other cargos. And I say that it is advantegeous if the cargo which cause these effects are not be hard-coded but their name obtained from the actual cargo(es) which have that effect.
George
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by George »

planetmaker wrote:But FIRS does assign the *effect* of water and goods have in the default game to other cargos. And I say that it is advantegeous if the cargo which cause these effects are not be hard-coded but their name obtained from the actual cargo(es) which have that effect.
http://bugs.openttd.org/task/3341 is very old (display 2 cargoes if they both provide water effect for example)
Image Image Image Image
pi1985
Engineer
Engineer

Post by pi1985 »

planetmaker wrote: But FIRS does assign the *effect* of water and goods have in the default game to other cargos. And I say that it is advantegeous if the cargo which cause these effects are not be hard-coded but their name obtained from the actual cargo(es) which have that effect.
Of cource, it will be more beautiful when all cargos are shown separately. But now displays label Goods for TE_GOODS, Water for TE_WATER and Food for TE_FOOD and all cargos are calculated together. In the future this will be changed.
Image.
Railwaymodeler
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Railwaymodeler »

This reminds me of the time I tried to run FIRS and ECS together. I ended up with two 'sand' cargoes (And probably others like coal, but sand sticks in my memory), and refitting trains became interesting, as a sand refit showed twice, but were not compatible with each other.

Other than that, they did load together, though this was a long time ago.

Perhaps someday OTTD could have it where one could load them both, and their cargoes would be cross-compatible. This could make for some very interesting maps!
Without Trains America Stops

Railwaymodeler
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Railwaymodeler »

For what it is worth, I have a Dell laptop, an Inspiron 1721. 2 GHz dual core Turion, 3.5 GB RAM (Pair of 2 GB DDR2 sticks installed, 32-bit Windows XP), and I generated a 2048*2048 map in under 3 minutes. But if I have inudustries set to high, then it takes a while. I believe industries was set to normal in my case.
Without Trains America Stops

NekoMaster
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by NekoMaster »

On a large map, even with a quad core and 16GB of memory it still takes a moment for the map to generate when you have a large amount of industries (especially if its something like FIRS or ECS, considering they have special requirements for some industry placements)
Image Proud Canadian Image
Nekomasters Projects! (Downloads available on BaNaNaS!) \(>^w^<)/
# NARS ADD-ON SET 2CC | 2cc Rapid Transit For Me! (2ccRTFM) | 2cc Wagons In NML (2ccWIN)
# NML Category System (Organize your GRFS!) <- TT-Forums Exclusive Download!
andythenorth
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by andythenorth »

I get about 7s for industry placement in tests.

2048x2048
Settings chosen to make industry placement *hard* for FIRS:
- high towns
- 70% water
- very rough
- mountainous
- high industry
- 'FIRS' economy

Most of the map gen time is spent placing towns (1m 30s or so in my test cases).

Long industry placement times are a serious bug and should be reported (with actual numbers).
petrstary
Engineer
Engineer

Post by petrstary »

Hi all, have one question regarding FIRS. I must say it's a great set that makes game experience completely different, but now I've found one quite annoying thing, I don't know if it's a bug or not. I'm using timetabled trains to supply industries with engineering and farm supplies, so I don't waste them. It says that to maintain quadruple production I must supply 84 crates within three months, but these three months are not always 90 days. When I supply at the end of january, quadruple production doesn't last till end of april, but just till the beginning, so it is two months and a few days, not three months. Would it be possible to make this more accurate? So when I supply on 30th of january, quadruple production will last till 30th od april? Or it's not possible and I have to try to supply always at the beginning of the month (I don't know if this is possible with timetable)?
AlexG
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by AlexG »

Hello

I'm trying to play with FIRS + DB Set Firs Extension (with or without it) I have the same problem. On Firs Economy I should have 49 industries, right ? I have only 28 industries. How I should make, to have all ? I tried creating a new game on temperate landscape or playing an European heightmap. It's the same..

Thank you!

PS: I'm posting a save for any needs later.
Attachments
Testing FIRS, 01-01-2000.sav
(2.69 MiB) Downloaded 87 times
Sylf
President
President

Post by Sylf »

How did you generate this map?

Also, it's not realistic to expect all industries to be present when you generate the map. For example, Iron Works are not built after 1901, but Biorefineries aren't available until 2001. You'll have to play the game for a while if you want all 45 (I think that's what's available on the current version) industries on the map.

But aside from that, your map looks very unbalanced. It has some obscene number of dairy farms, but zero arable farms. Did you generate the map using FIRS Temperate Basic Economy, THEN switched to FIRS Economy? Changing the industries grf and their settings after the map generation can screw your game pretty badly.

Simply set the FIRS setting before the map generation to use FIRS economy, and you should get majority of the industries to start with, regardless of the starting year.

Return to “Graphics Releases”