List of NewGRFs

Find and discuss all the latest NewGRF releases for TTDPatch and OpenTTD here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

SwissFan91
Tycoon
Tycoon

List of NewGRFs

Post by SwissFan91 »

Ok, so I'm about to start my first proper game of OTTD in quite some time. Due to this long lay-off from playing, I am very out of touch with the latest and greatest visual GRFs. By this I mean those that add something graphically unlike things like base costs modifiers. Now, I could look in the in-game fruit store but I know some do not like to host their creations there (which is fine - something that is an argument for another time - not here!) so I need to trawl the forums.

Forgive me if I am wrong but I do not think we have a thread that supports just a list of the download thread locations of many if not all of the grfs on the market. So, why not? Surely if it is just a thread with links to TT-Forum pages, people can't get angry at that?

So, here goes:

Edit: List moved to http://wiki.openttd.org/NewGRF_List -P

First of all: WOW. What a community we have here! So many people with tremendous amounts of skill and imagination.

Secondly: Please do not take any offence by this list. I have tried to compile them in alphabetical order and categorise them. Absolutely feel free to post, PM, email, whatever with suggestions or if you want something removed for whatever reason (I would prefer it by PM, but whatever you want to do.) I know there are hundreds and hundreds of great grfs out there and I can't find them all! I will link to any set at any stage of development. If people like the look of it and find it is still in development - why not help out? :) If you all find one grf that you did not know existed previously then it will have been a success! I, for instance, never knew there was a North American Industry set!

Happy Hunting

It's a pity we can't all communally edit this post really. If you do alert a set to my attention, please provide a link!
I have also purposefully left out all Town Name grfs. Sorry, but there are so many!
Last edited by SwissFan91 on 12 Feb 2013 22:23, edited 1 time in total.
Total Alpine Replacement Set: Industry, Town, Objects
Zuu
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Re: Visual GRF Compilation

Post by Zuu »

For content available through bananas, Bananas web UI provide links to most forum threads. However, as you said, it only contains the content that people decide to upload there. As your list probably contains additional content not available there, I'm sure it have a value.
My OpenTTD contributions (AIs, Game Scripts, patches, OpenTTD Auto Updater, and some sprites)
Junctioneer (a traffic intersection simulator)
SwissFan91
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by SwissFan91 »

Ah, I never knew about that. I will trawl that later in the week to update my list. One good thing to come from my list over Bananas is that it can show sets in development with the premise of getting people involved!
SquireJames
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by SquireJames »

I love how you have included BROS and Britrains. It's like including Shangri-La and El-Dorado on a list of holiday destinations. :lol:
SwissFan91
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by SwissFan91 »

SquireJames wrote:I love how you have included BROS and Britrains. It's like including Shangri-La and El-Dorado on a list of holiday destinations. :lol:
Don't start Squire James! :P They are sets that exist so I included them. Someone by the name of J. H. Christ may one day be able to bring everyone together in harmony and finish the set(s).

This is not the place for a(nother) British trains argument!
SquireJames
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by SquireJames »

Twas meant tongue-in-cheek. :)
Pyoro
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Pyoro »

Well, it's something to consider though, not just with those two but also eg. Indonesian Station Set ^^, maybe mark the ones that are actually "playable" or something?
SwissFan91
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by SwissFan91 »

We then enter the debate as to what is "playable". Technically, the British Station set has been playable for quite some time but without public release, for example. Even with the example you give of colour Indonesian Station Set - someone may see it in this list, see the photos of the stations IRL and think "yeah, I could draw that". Perhaps even someone may see it in this list and remember they have a few sprites lying around for it.

I think it is best to keep them all in the list. I may in the future colour code if that's what people want.
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

Thanks for doing something that I had intended to do for quite awhile. This would be useful to organize on the wiki.
Pyoro
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Pyoro »

SwissFan91 wrote:I think it is best to keep them all in the list. I may in the future colour code if that's what people want.
I didn't think of removing them, just marking things - with a *, or in color, or bold ;) As "playable" - which is why I put it into "" - I'd define everything that has at least one public release (non-public releases in a public list don't make much sense) with at least one working object, ie. 1 train for train sets, 1 vehicle for road vehicle sets, 1 building for town sets, 1 newobject for newobjects etc. So just the "bare" minimum.
And also - when in doubt, mark it playable, it's just to filter out the extreme cases. Like the Indonesian Station Set, which I can guarantee won't be done anytime soon ;)

Either way, just a small suggestion.
SwissFan91
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by SwissFan91 »

No problem! :D

OzTrans has kindly reminded me of a few others which I will endeavour to add to the list later this week.

[edit] Not a bad idea Pyoro. Something non-intrusive such as an asterisk or bold may be good. It may take some time to go through them all though!
michael blunck
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by michael blunck »

Your title "Visual GRF Compilation" is grossly misleading. It reminds of something like "GRFmaker - a visual GRF compiler".

regartds
Michael
SquireJames
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by SquireJames »

I think we'll leave that down to actual staff to decide, eh Michael?
Supercheese
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Supercheese »

I would agree with mb here, the title is misleading at first. Nothing against the actual content/idea, mind, just the thread title.
Eyecandy Road Vehicles | Fake Subways | Supercheese's NewObjects

"Fashions and cultures change, but steam trains shall always be majestic."
-Professor Hershel Layton
planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by planetmaker »

Nice idea, may you have more stammina than previous attempts.

Few thoughts though:
* The title should be something like "List of NewGRFs". as "visual" content applies to 95% of the NewGRFs and as already pointed out the current tool rather suggests a development tool for NewGRF
* The wiki is much better suited for something like this as it allows maintenance by more than one person
* The suggestions forum looks like the wrong forum, rather general NewGRF one; I moved it there / here.
* As you point out in your first posting yourself, you're concerned with NewGRFs available for a new game; thus including unpublished NewGRFs is somewhat pointless. Otherwise it boils down to a wishlist of NewGRFs meddled with a list of NewGRFs in the category "if I had enough time I'd create XXX" where the actual NewGRFs will get lost in.

"Zimmlock's creations" is the forum thread for TTRS; you list it as two separate NewGRFs.
Alberth
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by Alberth »

SwissFan91 wrote:Forgive me if I am wrong but I do not think we have a thread that supports just a list of the download thread locations of many if not all of the grfs on the market. So, why not? Surely if it is just a thread with links to TT-Forum pages, people can't get angry at that?
Hi,
I like your idea.
My first thought is however "GRF Crawler" ( http://grfcrawler.tt-forums.net/ ). Could that be of use for your purpose?

I don't know its state nor its usage conditions, but it may be an alternative to a thread at the forum.
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

Alberth wrote:My first thought is however "GRF Crawler" ( http://grfcrawler.tt-forums.net/ ). Could that be of use for your purpose?
GRFCrawler is great for authors to individually list and maintain their works, but it still relies on one individual to keep all that information up-to-date. Similar to BaNaNaS, though, I think the preference is that the original authors (or, at least, whoever is maintaining it) make those entries, rather than a third party. I've added a few third-party entries myself, but only when it's clear that the NewGRF is abandoned and the author isn't returning, or if I'm willing to take over responsibility for it myself. I think the wiki would still be the best place to keep this up, but the forums are a nice, easy-to-search backup too. :D
planetmaker wrote:"Zimmlock's creations" is the forum thread for TTRS; you list it as two separate NewGRFs.
To be fair, while it's mainly for TTRS now, there's a couple of stand-alone NewGRFs in there as well that predate TTRS.
SwissFan91
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: List of NewGRFs

Post by SwissFan91 »

michael blunck wrote:Your title "Visual GRF Compilation" is grossly misleading. It reminds of something like "GRFmaker - a visual GRF compiler".
I do explain what I mean in the first paragraph, but whatever, I'll change it if it mislead so much.
planetmaker wrote:The wiki is much better suited for something like this as it allows maintenance by more than one person
I'll definitely look at doing this when I have some time at my computer. I would very much welcome the opportunity for everybody to be able to edit the list instead of just myself! Although I know a few people who would enjoy the power of having the sole ownership.
planetmaker wrote:The suggestions forum looks like the wrong forum, rather general NewGRF one; I moved it there / here.
Oops. Thanks.
planetmaker wrote:As you point out in your first posting yourself, you're concerned with NewGRFs available for a new game; thus including unpublished NewGRFs is somewhat pointless. Otherwise it boils down to a wishlist of NewGRFs meddled with a list of NewGRFs in the category "if I had enough time I'd create XXX" where the actual NewGRFs will get lost in.
I was only describing a little of what made me decide to start making this list. Granted, people may only want to see downloads they can start their game with, but I wouldn't say it will become like a wishlist. The vast majority of these have had work done on them and will hopefully encourage people to dabble in some drawing or coding. Hopefully when I get to grips with the Wiki we can add some way of designating the state of the GRF itself (planning, alpha, beta, v0.1, etc.)

My plan for the week once I have some time is to transfer this to the Wiki and to then use GRF Crawler and Simuscape to update the list further.
SwissFan91
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by SwissFan91 »

Ok, I have had a look at the Wiki page. Due to my limited technical background I am struggling slightly with the 'code', if you want to call it that.

I don't mind learning the goings on of the edit screen, but if someone could possibly 'prep' the page in terms of getting it ready for me to bung all of these hyperlinks in, that would be great. You wouldn't even have to put the names of all the files I have in this page but just change the ones that are there already so I can see a pattern appearing and I can go from there.

As I say, I don't mind doing it, but it will take a whole while longer.
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

The code is simple:

Code: Select all

[http://YourURL.com/blahblahblah/  This is the title of the link]

Return to “Graphics Releases”