Bug: graphics on bridges

Got a problem with OpenTTD? Find some help here.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

R2
Engineer
Engineer

Bug: graphics on bridges

Post by R2 »

Hi!

Not quite sure this is the right forum, but I didn't find a specific forum for graphics bugs. I experience strange behaviour with bridges, see for yourselves:
OpenTTD.JPG
Bugged bridges
(243.36 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Any idea what might cause that? I have no NewGRF with regard to bridges installed.
3iff
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: Bug: graphics on bridges

Post by 3iff »

It might be a conflicting newgrf anyway. A road or rail newgrf could be the cause. One way to determine this is to try a game without newgrfs at all (just a test game) then add (in yet more new games) the likely culprits. It's likely that if it is indeed a newgrf causing the problems that you will be able to track it down.

I had an unwanted appearance of some trams. I eventually found them as part of a road set...

Which newgrfs are you using?
R2
Engineer
Engineer

Post by R2 »

Hi 3iff and thanks for the reply! :)
  • Original Vehicle Names
  • UKRS2
  • UKRS+
  • Bobs British Buses
  • Bobs Random British Vehicles
  • British Station Set
  • UK Roadset
  • UK TownNames
  • UK Town Set
I forgot about the UK Roadset. Probably that's the one. Will try without that, but I am to far into my game by now to start all over just because of this...
3iff
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by 3iff »

Well, I'm using the UK roadset and I'm not seeing those issues. It might be you have an old version?

You can always try a test game to see if the glitches occur, then at least you'll know. It will be impossible to do anything to your current game...as you say.
planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by planetmaker »

R2 wrote:Hi!

Not quite sure this is the right forum, but I didn't find a specific forum for graphics bugs. I experience strange behaviour with bridges, see for yourselves:
Bugged bridges
Any idea what might cause that? I have no NewGRF with regard to bridges installed.
You get that effect from a NewGRF which doesn't properly re-define the complete bridges, but only half; thus the front is from one NewGRF, the back from the baseset or another NewGRF. Solution: use other NewGRFs or switch-off bridge replacement in the one you use. My bet is indeed on UK Road Set.
Leanden
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Leanden »

planetmaker wrote:
R2 wrote:Hi!

Bugged bridges
You get that effect from a NewGRF which doesn't properly re-define the complete bridges, but only half; thus the front is from one NewGRF, the back from the baseset or another NewGRF. Solution: use other NewGRFs or switch-off bridge replacement in the one you use. My bet is indeed on UK Road Set.

I can tell you now, having worked on UK Road Set (in the form of UK Road Set with Signs), that this is absolutely the cause. The UK road set defines bridges based on the original ttd graphics and isnt compatible with opengfx.
3iff
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by 3iff »

I use the orginal ttd graphics, that's why I don't see any problems when I use the UK road set.

Strange graphics are almost always down to one or more newgrfs. The problem is locating the one causing the issue...
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

Leanden wrote:I can tell you now, having worked on UK Road Set (in the form of UK Road Set with Signs), that this is absolutely the cause. The UK road set defines bridges based on the original ttd graphics and isnt compatible with opengfx.
As this issues has been noted several times over the last few months, perhaps its time somebody thought about making a OpenGFX-compatible version?
Eddi
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Eddi »

kamnet wrote:somebody thought about making a OpenGFX-compatible version?
that is pretty much impossible, as you cannot detect from a NewGRF which baseset is used.

so the only way to do it is to copy over the baseset sprites into the newgrf, so the complete bridge is overridden, which raises copyright and license concerns at best, or completely redrawing the bridges.
Leanden
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Leanden »

Eddi wrote:
that is pretty much impossible, as you cannot detect from a NewGRF which baseset is used.

so the only way to do it is to copy over the baseset sprites into the newgrf, so the complete bridge is overridden, which raises copyright and license concerns at best, or completely redrawing the bridges.
It could of course be done with a parameter. As part of my BR Project i'm planning to completely redo the UK Roadset anyway, but its not at the top of my list atm.
FLHerne
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by FLHerne »

Exactly the same problem was in this thread a few weeks ago.

A UK Roadset-compatible version of the Total Bridge Renewal set made by Quast65, which I linked there, solves it. :)

Alternatively, use the original TTD graphics (not OpenGFX), or don't use UK Roadset, or use another bridgeset (which will probably have non-matching road surface, but shouldn't be glitchy).
Temporary Permanent signature filling text. Content coming soon delayed indefinitely! Oh, and I have had a screenshot thread.
Linux user (XMonad DWM/KDE, Arch), IRC obsessive and rail enthusiast. No longer building robots; now I ring church bells.
Author of an incredibly boring stickied post about NewGRFs.
Eddi
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Eddi »

Leanden wrote:
Eddi wrote:

It could of course be done with a parameter. As part of my BR Project i'm planning to completely redo the UK Roadset anyway, but its not at the top of my list atm.
that is, of course, not a solution either, because in a multiplayer game, different people may have different basesets, but the parameter cannot be flipped.

Return to “OpenTTD Problems”