ECS vs FIRS

OpenTTD is a fully open-sourced reimplementation of TTD, written in C++, boasting improved gameplay and many new features.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

ECS or FIRS

ECS
21%
FIRS
79%

Total votes: 43

MisterX
Engineer
Engineer

ECS vs FIRS

Post by MisterX »

Which is better? Or which one do you prefer? And why?
planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Re: ECS vs FIRS

Post by planetmaker »

FIRS is better than ECS. And at the same time is ECS better than FIRS.
Reason: they offer different gameplay. And variety is what makes for interesting games instead of always the same :)
Dave

Post by Dave »

kamnet wrote:PBI > ECS/FIRS
I am the staunchest supporter of Pikka's stuff but I do feel its too simple (as designed) - but I find FIRS overly thorough... So I'd like a middle ground (I know what I want and what I get are two different things :P )

That's not a criticism of either, by the way - they're both amazing graphically and gameplay wise.

I never got on with ECS, but again a personal opinion...
Official TT-Dave Fan Club

Dave's Screenshot Thread! - Albion: A fictional Britain
Flickr

Why be a song when you can be a symphony? r is a...
Alberth
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by Alberth »

Dave wrote:but I find FIRS overly thorough...
Did you ever try a different economy? The default economy of FIRS was (not sure what the default is today) at least the most complex to play.
Being a retired OpenTTD developer does not mean I know what I am doing.
Dave

Post by Dave »

Alberth wrote:
Dave wrote:but I find FIRS overly thorough...
Did you ever try a different economy? The default economy of FIRS was (not sure what the default is today) at least the most complex to play.
Not thoroughly - which is to the detriment of my own point, admittedly.

Again though, the absolute joy of the TTD style (but much better) graphics are the main attraction to me. This applies also to PBI, but FIRS is on a different planet.
Official TT-Dave Fan Club

Dave's Screenshot Thread! - Albion: A fictional Britain
Flickr

Why be a song when you can be a symphony? r is a...
Pyoro
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Pyoro »

I like FIRS. Admittedly my opinion is kinda outdated since quite often I still play with that age-old version that has that old engineering supplies etc. mechanism ... errm. Hopefully I remember this right, but I think that was changed some time before 1.0. On the plus side I kinda forgot what the change actually was so if nobody reminds me and I don't remember in an unfortunate moment I'll just go play the next one with an up-to-date version and probably not even notice what the difference actually is.

So, there ^^; And it's btw mostly down to that I like FIRS visually better than ECS. Don't really know why, they're stylistically not that different (imo), but it's how it is.
Kalen
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Kalen »

I've played with ECS for the longest time, but eventually I made the switch to FIRS because of its active development and frequent updating (not just for the new features, but also for the highest reliability in terms of compatibility with other current sets and newest OTTD features). That, and I'll admit ECS's gimmicks can become a little tiring after a very long time of playing with them (though IIRC you can turn off some of them, but still).

With that said, ECS is still very much usable, I haven't had any noteworthy issues with vehicle set compatibility so far, and it's a great pick if you enjoy its challenge and features. It has plenty of variety too, though I believe Full FIRS economy has the most (which can be a good thing or a... Bad Feature :^)... depending on your play style). I find the appeal of ECS to be its challenge, and that of FIRS its variety (though FIRS is certainly challenging as well).

They're different sets, each with its own style and features, they're both very high quality sets, so they're both very good on their own account. But FIRS still being under active development was what moved me to switch to it entirely and use it as my everyday industry set.
heppers
Engineer
Engineer

Post by heppers »

I may not have changed options on FIRs but I prefer the default setting. I did not like the limit to the amount of goods an industry can process in ECS.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk
Pedro The Fisherman
STD
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by STD »

I'm with you here do not agree. In ECS there are different options: an option either to put restrictions on the delivery of goods or to remove these restrictions (for example unlimited shipping glass, paint and steel to the car factory) .
Each player decides himself, what to choose: ECS or FIRS. I believe that each of these sets on its own is very good and interesting. Each of these sets has its own particular features that interest the players. And do not say that ECS is worse, and FIRS better. This is very silly reasoning. You such arguments will lead to mislead new players. New players will also be considered that it is better to choose to play FIRS.

I've played with standard loads, then I switched to ECS, then I liked to play FIRS. And recently I play again with ECS :) .
[OpenTTD] STD screenshots
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[OpenTTD] STD saved games - My finished scenarios and saves from the game
My Youtube channel - OpenTTD | Wiki xUSSR set (RU) | Wiki xUSSR set (EN) | Download the latest version of the xUSSR set
TT Screenshot of the Month - the page editor | Screenshot Of The Month Contest Winner: August 2017
heppers
Engineer
Engineer

Re: RE: Re: ECS vs FIRS

Post by heppers »

STD wrote:I'm with you here do not agree. In ECS there are different options: an option either to put restrictions on the delivery of goods or to remove these restrictions (for example unlimited shipping glass, paint and steel to the car factory) .
Each player decides himself, what to choose: ECS or FIRS. I believe that each of these sets on its own is very good and interesting. Each of these sets has its own particular features that interest the players. And do not say that ECS is worse, and FIRS better. This is very silly reasoning. You such arguments will lead to mislead new players. New players will also be considered that it is better to choose to play FIRS.

I've played with standard loads, then I switched to ECS, then I liked to play FIRS. And recently I play again with ECS :) .
Doh I feel daft now, I should have looked for the options! Image

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk
Pedro The Fisherman
railman
Engineer
Engineer

Post by railman »

I play mostly only with the ECS Houses 1.2 R185 together with ECSext-additional industries and the logging camp of McZapkie.

I think the game is too complicated if I play with all ECS Sectors or FIRS...
Alberth
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by Alberth »

railman wrote:I think the game is too complicated if I play with all ECS Sectors or FIRS...
In the parameters of FIRS, you can select an economy. The default economy (the one that you get when you don't select anything), is full FIRS, which I agree is way too much. The other economies however are much smaller and very playable.
Being a retired OpenTTD developer does not mean I know what I am doing.

Return to “General OpenTTD”